New and High-Tech from Honda

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

New and High-Tech from Honda

Post by montliz44 »

One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New and High-Tech from Honda

Post by homie »

That's not going to happen :roll: Can you imagine whilst you are swerving to avoid the cross traffic that didn't see you the bike puts on the brakes all by itself. That city safety stuff is nice on cars and always freaks me out when I pull up too fast on my garage door before its fully open, but I think I will be my own driver on the bike please. They do realize the rider has to be prepared for deceleration on a motorbike right? Otherwise we be going over the bars and under the car its trying to stop for :x GOOFY! Bike survives but you get ran over... wheres my check?

I prefer to accelerate, blow by the driver side door as close as possible and blow the horn.... YE HAW !!!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Keep those cards and letters coming folks!!! :lol:

So first let me begin by saying that I also prefer to be the Captain of "my" ship and don't want any other thinking process to interfere with my instincts and skills either. Just give me idiot lights and gauges and I'll be a happy camper.

That being said I will give Honda credit for taking a few things into consideration (as noted in the article but rendered in my own words): ;)

1) Honda knows that a motorcycle or motor scooter is a different animal than an automobile

2) Honda skillfully wants to program and apply sensing technology that will determine if the rider has already started to apply the brakes once the potential collision target has been detected

3) Honda will augment the rider's application of brakes in a metered fashion that won't cause an unintended dismount if it's sensing technology picks up a "ping" that "brakes are applied" and if the sensing technology does not get a "ping" that the brakes are being used it will automatically apply the rear brake first and then gradually apply the front thus working towards the combined brake effort.

Before I even read the article my first impression was "they'd better apply the rear brake first" or the rider is going to do an unintended "Stoppie". . .but was relieved as a read further on.

From what I understand the brakes will continue to be applied until the collision target is no longer a threat and or the rider has maneuvered safely around it. . .or the target has become neutral.

It's a noble engineering effort indeed. But for me I'll take my PCX without any sugar. . .just black. . .I mean white. :lol: :ugeek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I think it says that a warning is given to driver prior to any engagement.If done right more is better than less I suppose. Those systems don't pay any attention to the 5ft 7 blond wearing a mini skirt up to her arse.. but we do !!! crash boom bang !! but with that system looking for ya could be a good friend to have on board..LOL
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So, is that technology going to be added to ABS, or is it going to applied instead of ABS? I would also be willing to bet that it won't be added to scooters, especially since I understand that the requirement in Europe is either ABS or CBS, and Honda chose CBS.
When we had to stop quickly (during our accident) the brakes weren't the problem. When you come around a blind curve at 45 mph and there is a head-on collision happening right there in front of you (like in our case), will that new technology help any more than what the rider can or can not do? What about the times when you are going through an intersection and a car decides to run the light, or when you are stopped at a light and the driver behind you is texting so does not see you? Unfortunately, as nice as the thought is, the application may not help a 2-wheeled vehicle as much as it would a 4-wheeled vehicle. There have been times during all of our riding careers when we have had to apply the brake and then realized that they were not going to help, so we have had to release the brake, accelerate quickly and change lanes. I have to wonder if that split second when we evaluate the situation and release the brake will be enough time for that new technology to understand our intent, or will the brake still be applied even as we are releasing it and applying the gas, thus slowing us while we are trying to accelerate.
We will just have to wait and see.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think everyone here agrees that "running with the bulls" in traffic is not for the timid. :lol:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I trust honda will flesh this out and by the time it makes it to a production bike, it will work. I welcome any things that protect against a few situations, nothing is going to protect you against some situations that happen on the road.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

homie wrote:That's not going to happen :roll: Can you imagine whilst you are swerving to avoid the cross traffic that didn't see you the bike puts on the brakes all by itself. That city safety stuff is nice on cars and always freaks me out when I pull up too fast on my garage door before its fully open, but I think I will be my own driver on the bike please. They do realize the rider has to be prepared for deceleration on a motorbike right? Otherwise we be going over the bars and under the car its trying to stop for :x GOOFY! Bike survives but you get ran over... wheres my check?

I prefer to accelerate, blow by the driver side door as close as possible and blow the horn.... YE HAW !!!
The technology is used in cars, why is it not going to happen on a scooter? If the rear brakes are applied first like the article says, wouldn't you be more cautious about the traffic ahead when the brakes are applied? The article doesn't mention swerving from what I read.

Please let me know if I am wrong or have a different opinion, but I cannot see or read into your opinion.