How Does the PCX 150 Rate Carrying a Passenger?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

How Does the PCX 150 Rate Carrying a Passenger?

Post by PCX150Rider »

Just wondered. . .I've seen the load capacity stated to be 397 lbs. except the "KO" PCX. Does the "KO" designation mean some kine of anti pollution hardware? That seems to lessen the load capacity.

Also does the PCX handle riding two up fairly well? Enough room for the passenger? Will it move out from a traffic light at the base of a hill with authority or desperately search for "more power".

Any recommendations on rear shock upgrades that improve the ride with a passenger? NCY?

Do the stock tires get squirrelly under load with a passenger? Hence inquiring minds wonder about what available tire upgrades are available that will actually fit and perform better. . .

At some point I'll bet this topic has been brought up previously but sometimes new upgrades or products get introduced that need to be shared with the masses. :geek:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: How Does the PCX 150 Rate Carrying a Passenger?

Post by chicaboo »

KO is Korean market I believe. It's in the very start of the manual anyhow.

I hover around either side of 260lbs for the most part, and at 6'2", I'm never going to carry a pillion on the PCX any time soon...
If you and your pillion are of a slight build, there's no reason why it can't be done. But you will feel the imapct on the handling.
I felt the difference just removing the crumby top-box that came with my scooter, and that was only 10lbs of high weight! o_O
If you're buying a scooter specifically to carry a pillion, I would opt for something bigger like a Forza so you can keep up with traffic.
The tyre placard recommends you run up to another 3psi in the tyres for heavy loads. Which I do on the daily for my weight, anyhow. :oops:

YSS Z series are affordable shocks and with no reservoirs to leak and go wrong (like the G series PCXdemon and I have have done...).
https://bikerzbits.com/yss-z-series-sho ... 5-150.html
http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/accessorie ... v2-v3.html
You can buy them with different coloured spring, often red, black or chrome.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

With gear, the Admiral and I are well north of 400 lb. We used the PCX two-up for two seasons, and then got the Forza. Our riding was on small suburban, almost country roads, 35-50 MPH. I could get to 60, but the 0-60 time was measured in minutes rather than seconds. It was wise to have the tires at full pressure. I did not find it too squirrelly (except at startup from a stop, especially if turning onto a cross road), but did I find it a bit lacking in acceleration. I was amazed that my wife had no problem with the postage stamp of seat that she had, but she claimed that having mis-spent her youth with some horseback sport helped her feel comfortable. We did nothing with the shocks - if I hit a manhole cover or other road tidbit, it was often a pretty harsh affair. I drove a snake-wake of a path. Still do riding alone.

The Forza is obviously much nicer for two-up, but for the occasional run at a casual pace, the PCX will be fine.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

My wife and I are in the 340-350 range. I may not be the best judge as I don't consider myself to be a seasoned rider. Almost all of my riding has been in slow (as in very slow city traffic. My experience riding two up is that once I am moving it is fine, but as mentioned above, at very slow speeds it can feel a little squirrely — although that may just be my lack of riding experience.

As far as speed goes, obviously I need a little more throttle when I am 2 up, but it hasn't been much of a problem. and mine is the first gen 125cc, not the 150cc.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Brent »

I take my teenage kids on the back around time a lot, and my 150 handles fine. I have noticed I travel more at wide open throttle with two people and the engine sounds like it is having a cow! I have not noticed any negative side effects on maintenance, except that I went through a back tire faster then when I rode by myself. I do have the YSS G-Series XXL shocks which make riding two up much more enjoyable.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

In addition to the history about the handling characteristics under load, I especially value the information on aftermarket shocks. I'm no lightweight. But I'm still under 300 lbs.. :lol:

If they happen to have a "Forza" on the showroom floor when I'm in the market for the PCX I will have a look-see at it. I think if I was going to ramp up to a Forza though I'd be inclined to sell one of my other bikes. Just not ready to part with either of them yet. . .and they are so old I actually have an "Antique" plate on one and the other isn't far behind. 8)

To be honest I'm not even sure if Honda is going to release a 2018 Forza into the U.S.. The did get the fuel pump issue straightened out and the starter relay switch problems with the 2015's and as far as I know the 2016 models are recall-free. Time will tell. But at this point I don't see them bringing in a 2017 model. . .more likely a 2018 if at all. Or maybe they have something up their sleeve and will introduce something totally new in the 300cc range to compete with the Burgman. I dunno. . .time will tell.

So the PCX would in essence complete the triad of my collection. . .one for sport. . .one for dirt. . .one for around town. :D

The R50 I have now will probably be traded or sold. . .no sense for me to have two scooters at this stage of the game. I thought it would be OK when I bought it for where I intended to use it but between the wind, distracted drivers, and people in a hurry it's just falling short of it's anticipated goal.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

PCX150Rider wrote:... So the PCX would in essence complete the triad of my collection. . .one for sport. . .one for dirt. . .one for around town. :D

The R50 I have now will probably be traded or sold. . .no sense for me to have two scooters at this stage of the game. I thought it would be OK when I bought it for where I intended to use it but between the wind, distracted drivers, and people in a hurry it's just falling short of it's anticipated goal.
Wait -- are you talking about moving up from a 50cc scoot (the Genuine?) to the PCX?
If so, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the PCX.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I just took my neighbour's Kymco Like 50 4T around the cul-de-sac, and oh boy it was so gutless it could hardly get up the footpath (sidewalk...) back to his front door. o_O
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Wait -- are you talking about moving up from a 50cc scoot (the Genuine?) to the PCX?
If so, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the PCX.
Yup. . .it's also known as a PGO PMX. Nice machine. . .for a 49cc it goes like a bat outta hell.

But I live in a coastal community and when it's windy, which it seems to be more often lately, the R50 turns itself inside out trying to maintain 40 MPH. And when it's real windy it gets slowed down significantly which causes problems with cars behind me that can't pass due to no passing zones. . .or oncoming traffic. Also, IMHO, there's a lot of texters and people on cell phones that seem to have total disregard for other people's safety driving along that need to be able to see me better and I also need additional power on tap in a moment of danger.

Hence a move up to a PCX would provide me with better visibility and more power on tap when needed. . .not to mention a huge amount of under seat storage. I will miss the flat deck for carrying stuff but I guess I can add a tunnel bag if need be.
DCP_1523a.jpg
DCP_1523a.jpg (197.89 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

PCX150Rider wrote:Yup. . .it's also known as a PGO PMX. Nice machine. . .for a 49cc it goes like a bat outta hell.

But I live in a coastal community and when it's windy, which it seems to be more often lately, the R50 turns itself inside out trying to maintain 40 MPH. And when it's real windy it gets slowed down significantly which causes problems with cars behind me that can't pass due to no passing zones. . .or oncoming traffic. Also, IMHO, there's a lot of texters and people on cell phones that seem to have total disregard for other people's safety driving along that need to be able to see me better and I also need additional power on tap in a moment of danger.

Hence a move up to a PCX would provide me with better visibility and more power on tap when needed. . .not to mention a huge amount of under seat storage. I will miss the flat deck for carrying stuff but I guess I can add a tunnel bag if need be.
Nice! Yes, a 2T has better power/weight than a 4T, but creates horrible exhaust pollution!

A few things to consider for the PCX:
A taller-than-stock windscreen will improve your overall speed, handling, & fuel economy, in both calm & windy conditions. The safest screens are made from polycarbonate ("Lexan"), not acrylic ("Plexiglass"). The only two screens I know of in polycarbonate are Honda's & National Cycle's.
Adding a top box to the rear will reduce wind drag compared to side/saddle bags. When I had my Honda Supercub 70cc 4T, I had a top box that I could also attach saddle bags to. (It had no glovebox or underseat storage.) With the top box only, I got 120 mpg. When I added the saddlebags, it dropped to 100 mpg. The 39 liter box I have on my PCX carries more than I could put on a flat foot deck, & keeps everything from tipping/rolling between my feet.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

A few things to consider for the PCX:
The Genuine Roughhouse does comply with CARB as far as pollution levels go. It is a lot better than 2-strokes in days of yore used to be. . .and in the big picture not so bad. Motorcycle manufactures don't do the 350, 500, 750, 2-strokes anymore for the street for obvious reasons. Basically, and although they were very quick, people didn't want to get stuck riding behind them for very long either. o_O

I've seen what National Cycle has to offer for PCX windshields. I like their tallest one for the PCX. I'm going to give it a year though before I put an after market windshield on it because I want to see if I feel I'm really going to need it.

Also what brand 39 Liter Top Box do you have? Is it the Shad? I think the one Honda offers is a 35 Liter? The Honda mount and box would be pushing $300 if I installed it myself. The Shad would be less expensive. . .even the 33 Liter isn't bad. That being said I'm going to go with side packs initially but will keep a top box in mind. Biker Bitz also sells a 3rd party rear rack for around $50 and if you combine that with an Emgo Trunk for about $75 it's storage on the cheap.

Funny you should mention about the wind drag with the saddle bags. I notice that right away the first time I put them on my R50. And to add insult to injury when I wear my bulky winter jacket it tends to bog things down even more. . .not to mention totally block my view in my mirrors. I have to raise an arm to be able to see who's behind me or turn around. That is another reason why I like the PCX . . .better rear view mirrors. :geek:
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

If your going to ride 2 up, Get the tall Givi fairing and the NCY variator and faceplate, and toss in 11 or 12 gram rollers. We can cruise at 55 handily (granted we only weigh 280lbs combined). You'll need the added acceleration with the extra weight. Tires at close to max pressure too.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I just took my neighbour's Kymco Like 50 4T around the cul-de-sac, and oh boy it was so gutless it could hardly get up the footpath (sidewalk...) back to his front door. o_O
The Kymco Like 50 and 200i look somewhat like the old Lambrettas don't they? But when you sit on them they have a fitment all their own. I sat on one in a showroom before I got the R50 and I felt like my legs were too high and I had concerns about the seat. I saw a couple of the Like 50's around my area one summer and then never again. . .just don't really see them around here. Mostly Vespas and Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki scooters.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

PCX150Rider wrote:
The Kymco Like 50 and 200i look somewhat like the old Lambrettas don't they? But when you sit on them they have a fitment all their own. I sat on one in a showroom before I got the R50 and I felt like my legs were too high and I had concerns about the seat. I saw a couple of the Like 50's around my area one summer and then never again. . .just don't really see them around here. Mostly Vespas and Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki scooters.
I had to sit on the rear portion of the seat on the 50cc Like. Once there I had legroom and could even put my feet forward a bit.
I could sit on the seat normally with an inch to spare Infront of my knees, but I don't like how my legs felt bent up and flat footed.
The rear suspension bottomed out when I went over the kerb from his driveway to the street, but his tyre pressures were low...
The biggest thing was I could feel the difference from the small 12" wheels when steering. Maybe that was in part to the flat tyres?
I've always wanted to test ride a Like 200i, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps they have firmer suspension to go with the increased capacity?
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

PCX150Rider wrote:... Also what brand 39 Liter Top Box do you have? Is it the Shad? I think the one Honda offers is a 35 Liter? The Honda mount and box would be pushing $300 if I installed it myself. The Shad would be less expensive. . .even the 33 Liter isn't bad. That being said I'm going to go with side packs initially but will keep a top box in mind. Biker Bitz also sells a 3rd party rear rack for around $50 and if you combine that with an Emgo Trunk for about $75 it's storage on the cheap. ...
Yes, I decided on the Shad case. I preferred the look of it over the Givi, & the cost was well below the Honda case. What's the volume on the Emgo trunk?
Right now it looks like you can possibly get a Shad SH39 & Shad mounting rack for around $160? (shipping adds another $35)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

What's the volume on the Emgo trunk?
From what I've read it measures 16 1/2 inches W X 12 inches D X 11 inches H or 35 Liters.

Reviews are generally good in a "bang for the buck" perspective. I'd mount it directly to a luggage rack though. I wouldn't use a removable type mount. . .but that's me.

I bought the older style one some years ago and first had it on my KLR and then moved it over to my Bandit. I hard mounted it directly to the luggage racks. I didn't have a removable type mount, nor did I want one. I want the thing to stay on the bike and not fall off. It's done the job well and I forget what I paid but it was a lot less than $75 at the time. Depending upon where you shop the price varies. . .
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

If your going to ride 2 up, Get the tall Givi fairing and the NCY variator and faceplate, and toss in 11 or 12 gram rollers.
I've heard about the NCY products. . .I'll keep that in mind. . .

I'm inclined to think that a taller fairing is the way to go as well. . .thanks for the info!