2016 pcx 150 ticking noise

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: 2016 pcx 150 ticking noise

Post by easyrider »

I think I would go with the exhaust system.
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Gray pcx150

Post by Mike888 »

Sorry for bringing this up, but I was looking around at the forum today and I finally found the sound that has been bothering me. When I accelerate and decelerate there would be a ticking noise. It is noticeable when accelerating and when decelerating that is when you could hear it the most. The noise is not there when starting or idling. Everything seems fine beside the noise that seems to come from the front. I know I took it to the dealer and they said its normal, but I know for a fact that it could be a problem. I owned a piaggio before and it had never made that sound. The forum where I found the sound was called "PCX 125 BUZZING SOUND, VERY ANNOYING" it is on page two of the forum and 6 post down. The author of the post and sound upload is "Max11". Please check out MAX11 recording and offer me advices on what I should do. Thank you so much, I appreciate all your help.. Also happy new year to all.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Mike888 wrote:Sorry for bringing this up, but I was looking around at the forum today and I finally found the sound that has been bothering me. When I accelerate and decelerate there would be a ticking noise. It is noticeable when accelerating and when decelerating that is when you could hear it the most. The noise is not there when starting or idling. Everything seems fine beside the noise that seems to come from the front. I know I took it to the dealer and they said its normal, but I know for a fact that it could be a problem. I owned a piaggio before and it had never made that sound. The forum where I found the sound was called "PCX 125 BUZZING SOUND, VERY ANNOYING" it is on page two of the forum and 6 post down. The author of the post and sound upload is "Max11". Please check out MAX11 recording and offer me advices on what I should do. Thank you so much, I appreciate all your help.. Also happy new year to all.
https://clyp.it/zejz1neh
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Gray pcx150

Post by Mike888 »

Thank you chicaboo for posting the sound clip link.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Sounds normal.. The PCX has a lot of sounds at different rpm levels. That engine sounds great .
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Mike888, sorry you're hearing an unfamiliar sound while operating/riding your scoot. Noises are a bugger.

Okay, so I listened to the link that member chicaboo posted for you. I think I hear the sound that you're referring to. Clicking or puttering, which sound shall I call it?

For lack of anything else and as strange as it is, I will compare it to this similar sound:
I heard a card (an example: baseball card) attached to one's bicycle fender (actually, on the fender's attachment bracket). The attached card pokes in-between the spokes. Upon wheel revolutions the card clicks faster and faster as the peddler increases speed. This = a clicking sound.

That's it. That's all I got and all I hear. Is that same sound normal on your scoot? Not sure. But my gut says it's one of the many giggles our little scoot talks out and nothing that I'd be worried about.
But!....if You're worried (and that is really all that matters), take it in for a look, listen n ride by an experienced scoot/bike mechanic. Ask around your area for references.

You can even share our forum with your mechanic if you think it will help get your noise, un-noised ;)
Good luck to you and keep us updated please
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hi Mike888,

I will add that it is normal to hear the rollers (and particularly sliders!) move around as the variator engages and disengages.
To me this is sort of a clunking noise like rotating or shaking a spray can bottle with 6 big BBs in it.

Separate to what you may be hearing, I have a vibration/rattle that is RPM dependent coming from the middle/front of the scoot.
I haven't been able to isolate this. Some have said it's the chain tensioner, but I think it sounds more like body panels.

Strangely, I never had any noises until I started modding my PCX. It started sometime after I put the exhaust or sliders on.
The good thing is that over time you come to accept it and don't harp on it as you ride. It took me months to get there, though... :|
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

Hello, Sir,

my new PCX150 is now 400KM mileage.

I have the similar noise.
#1 when I accelerate from 20 to 40 KM/H, I hear a kakakaka noise, over 40KM/H, it is gone. the noise comes from BELOW MY LEFT FOOT. could be the transmission.
#2 when I deccelerate, there is a highly noticeable knocking noise from little bit IN FRONT OF MY LEFT FOOT.

I reckon, after break in, it would behave better.
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

chicaboo wrote:Hi Mike888,

I will add that it is normal to hear the rollers (and particularly sliders!) move around as the variator engages and disengages.
To me this is sort of a clunking noise like rotating or shaking a spray can bottle with 6 big BBs in it.

Separate to what you may be hearing, I have a vibration/rattle that is RPM dependent coming from the middle/front of the scoot.
I haven't been able to isolate this. Some have said it's the chain tensioner, but I think it sounds more like body panels.

Strangely, I never had any noises until I started modding my PCX. It started sometime after I put the exhaust or sliders on.
The good thing is that over time you come to accept it and don't harp on it as you ride. It took me months to get there, though... :|
Chain???
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Mike888 wrote:I went to a Honda dealer today and they told me they didn't hear any ticking. They told me with these bikes, they always make vibration noises. I guess I will continue breaking it in and doing the first 600 mile service at the dealer when time comes.
:D
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Rickjds wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Hi Mike888,

Chain???
There's a timing chain running from the crank to the cam and it has a chain tensioner. True story.