New (soon to be) Owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: New (soon to be) Owner

Post by easyrider »

easyrider wrote:In my opinion the moto man has some good points but very inaccurate in others. For example, when the fire occurs pressure is forced equally down on the ring both in front of and in back of the ring.towards the piston but the pressure will be applied equally to both sides. the spring helps direct pressure to the inside of the ring forcing the ring outwardly. However,many engine tuners think that a fast hard run will break in the rings sooner , but not necessarily true.Same as if you were to file down a burr would it come off faster if you move the file faster. No, it wont it will take just so many passes to remove that same amount of metal fast or slow.In modern day engines there is a slight wear in period but once that wear is evenly distributed the rings will ride on an molecular oil sheet and no longer touches the metal cylinder wall. Fast or slow this wear in period will not change . It is based on revolutions and not on how hard you work the engine.Many tuners believe that the best approach is to moderately stress a new engine and most importanty to vary the RPMs so that the rings will seat more evenly.
Revised see above comment.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Just rode my bike like how I intend use it the moment I brought it out of the dealer. If anything goes wrong, I'd rather know about it when I still have the warranty fresh from the dealer.

IMO the company should break it in for us, so that we should be able to enjoy our ride right from the start.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Manufacturer's put every freshly built vehicle on a dyno at max RPM to ensure the engine is within specification before it even leaves the factory.
Drive/ride it how you want, just don't sit on the same revs constantly while cruising.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Chapel77 »

easyrider wrote:
easyrider wrote:In my opinion the moto man has some good points but very inaccurate in others. For example, when the fire occurs pressure is forced equally down on the ring both in front of and in back of the ring.towards the piston but the pressure will be applied equally to both sides. the spring helps direct pressure to the inside of the ring forcing the ring outwardly. However,many engine tuners think that a fast hard run will break in the rings sooner , but not necessarily true.Same as if you were to file down a burr would it come off faster if you move the file faster. No, it wont it will take just so many passes to remove that same amount of metal fast or slow.In modern day engines there is a slight wear in period but once that wear is evenly distributed the rings will ride on an molecular oil sheet and no longer touches the metal cylinder wall. Fast or slow this wear in period will not change . It is based on revolutions and not on how hard you work the engine.Many tuners believe that the best approach is to moderately stress a new engine and most importanty to vary the RPMs so that the rings will seat more evenly.
Revised see above comment.
And that's how I'm riding now, taking things a bit easy to start with, for some mechanical sympathy and also to get used to riding another scooter. I'm not a believer of jumping on a new scooter and going full throttle just for the sake of it, it's not just the engine which needs some running in, new tyres need a bit of a strub, new dynamics and different handling needs consideration too......
Living the Honda Dream!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ That's! A very good plan ;) Scoot on!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Quick update on my scooter.

What with Christmas and work, haven't used or been too far on it yet, in fact have only done 150 miles in the couple of weeks since I picked it up.

Today, however, had a short, 30 mile run out, catching up on things after the Christmas period. On return, left it outside to cool off, then gave it a good wash down, dried off and polished up with Mers. ACF50 brushed onto exposed metal and bolts, now looking awesome again.

Purchased a couple of BungiCords to secure a bag onto the rear of the saddle, see how it goes, have been looking at a Givi Tail Bag, but no rush at this time.

Hopefully it will get used a bit more over the next few weeks and months, early days, but still really happy with my purchase.
Living the Honda Dream!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JetPilot wrote:
You are not doing your scooter any good by using the outdated " Running In Period ". Educate yourself a bit, and take 5 minutes to read this article. I use this on all my new bikes and have confirmed it to be accurate. Almost all the aluminum powder I get out of the oil is in the first 50 miles, exactly as this guy says. REALITY: The first thing 90 % of riders want to know is how fast their scooter or motorcycle is, and go full throttle for a bit on the first ride. If this were wrong, almost EVERY bike and scooter would be burning oil, etc. etc.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Mike

God give me strength....[/quote]

Which bit is of exasperation to you, the manufacturer advice or the 'jump on and rag the arse off it' opinion? The only bit I take issue with is the 'Educate yourself....' A bit of a cheek as my education and life experiences are not known!!!![/quote]

Exasperated with the Groundhog Day feeling...
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Brent »

Chapel77, Welcome! I don't have a top box either. I keep a folded-in-half backpack, and two small spider cargo nets in my seat for any unplanned cargo. It has worked well for almost two years! (Oh, and white PCXs are the fastest!)
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Brent wrote:Chapel77, Welcome! I don't have a top box either. I keep a folded-in-half backpack, and two small spider cargo nets in my seat for any unplanned cargo. It has worked well for almost two years! (Oh, and white PCXs are the fastest!)
Sticking to a fleece blanket to cover rear of saddle and the bodywork aft of that. Couple of bungi-cords to secure a bag.......sorted!

Mind I have to disagree on white being the fastest colour, we all know red is!!!!!
Living the Honda Dream!
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

So, my PCX is booked in for its running in service, free as part of the deal I got. Haven't done as many miles as expected due to work, weather etc.

Have also ordered a new Givi screen today, noticed a bit of wind buffering when above 40-45mph, so will give this a try.

Have also noticed how dirty the PCX gets around the exhaust and transmission cover in this mucky weather, far more than my previous scooters. Glad I invested in some ACF50!
Living the Honda Dream!
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Screen delivered and fitted today, 10 minute job if that, took longer to take some photos.

Not been out with it yet, hopefully tomorrow!
Living the Honda Dream!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Any problem getting that piece of plastic off (Grill) to get access to the windscreen holddowns?
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

PCX150Rider wrote:Any problem getting that piece of plastic off (Grill) to get access to the windscreen holddowns?
No problems whatsoever. Used a crosshead screwdriver to remove the two screws holding the grill in place, then with both thumbs on the headlight and fingers on the grill on the flat section below the screen, and pulled downwards and forwards and it pulls off really easily. Two 10mm bolts on each side holds the screen in place. Putting a new screen on is just the reverse.

Was a bit apprehensive initially, especially as no instructions came with the screen, but a quick search on YouTube was the answer! One thing I would mention is in all the videos I viewed, they all used a plastic tool to lift the grill away from the headlight, don't as this is a sure way of cracking the panel and scratching the headlight!

Now I just need some time to run my PCX out!
Living the Honda Dream!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Jolly good!

Well described. . .

Thanks! 8)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Chapel77 wrote:...... took longer to take some photos .....
And even longer to post the photos .... no pics and it didn't happen. ;) :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Took photos on my camera, too big to upload onto here.

If anyone can advise how to resize I will put them up here!

Thanks!
Living the Honda Dream!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Took photos on my camera, too big to upload onto here.
To resize your photos you would need a software application like Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro. . .

There's others as well but those two are quite popular.

Then you follow the instructions. . .

For a basic "nothing fancy" application just use "Microsoft Paint". If you have a newer version of Windows just open up Paint (you may find it in Windows Accessories). The open the image file you want. Choose resize. You can resize by percentage or pixels. Apply the resize and then "save as".

I found when I took pictures using 14MP with my camera that the file sizes were huge and unless I was going to make a quality print to hang on a wall it was not practical.

So I use only a few MP (mega pixels) and the file sizes are a lot smaller and easier to work with and resize.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

You might look into pixresizer (http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm)
Free, easy, and works fine for me on Windows 10. One pic or a whole directory, and you don't screw with the original. If you don't like it, delete it. I have been using it to resize 5 mp camera pics to 200 k (or so) for a couple of forums and it works like a charm.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Just use M$ Paint that comes bundled with W!nd0wZ and make it smaller than 1024x768:
Attachments
Paintception.png
Paintception.png (408.91 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

Thanks for your advice.

Time dependant, will have a play with my photos today and post what I have.

Probably start a new thread!
Living the Honda Dream!