Rear Wheel Replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Nosubstance
Year: 2017
Color: White

Rear Wheel Replacement

Post by Nosubstance »

I have read a few threads but decided to start my own.

I own a 2017 PCX 150. My scooter (she) has 2500 miles on it. I was waiting to take her to the shop for her second P.M. But I recently hit (rolled over) something and it appears I may have just broke the bead which lead to a flat tire. Tried walking the scooter uphill which sucked so I rode it home, granted I was doing 15mph or less. Not taking any chances as she is my daily driver unless it snows, I ride the scooter when it has been as low as 14 degrees f.

Once the wheel is removed can a tire shop that does cars and trucks swap the tire for me? Or should I take it to the Stealership um I mean dealership. Maybe a silly question but the local tire shop is 2 blocks away i.e. walking distance. Also what would be a decent tire for all weather for Price and Quality? Where I live it rains, snows and during summer it gets hot.

Soon I want to buy a factory shop manual. My plan is to do all my maintenance as the dealer charges WAY too much, although it is worth it, with that said I would like to know if anyone can tell me the torque specs in in lbs. or ft lbs. for all the bolts with the following:

1) Exhaust bolts at head
2) Swing arm and Shock absorber
3) Wheel nut

With the wheel off I guess it would be a great time to check the rear brakes.

Really upset I got a flat and have no clue to what I hit, I assume it was a icy debris from our last snow storm from a automobile.

Any help is appreciated.

Nosub- Leighton
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Re: Rear Wheel Replacement

Post by Brent »

Michelin City Grips are great for the PCX 150. Easiest way to find out if the garage down the street can change a scooter tire is to call them and ask!

I don't know the specs are off the top of my head.
Nosubstance

Post by Nosubstance »

Turns out whatever I hit/rolled over punctured a hole and bent the rim, the part where the bead is. Tire shop nearby said they don't do small tires. Took my wheel to the Honda dealer service desk where they inflated the tire and that is when they showed me punctured spot. I looked at the tire and overlooked that damaged spot.

So for 42 dollars I had to buy a Honda stock tire. Wheel was slightly bent but still true (got lucky). In the future I will swap them for Michelins once I order them, the stock tires love to slip when it rains. The tire size is 100/90. Watched Youtube videos and in every video they said taking the wheel off was a pain. Took me 1.5 hours to remove and included the time wasted looking for the right tools, then took another 1.5 hours to put everything back together. The hardest part was getting the lower white plastic panel aligned and secured, which really didn't need to be removed, only to see the exhaust nuts. The Service writer was nice enough to photocopy the pages from the factory manual for all the torque specs.
Sad part about the Honda dealer is I get better service from the service department than rest of the business.

Thank you for the reply.

Nosub
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

At least you get good service from the service department. I would rather that than good service from sales, who you might see every few years, vs service, who some of us see on a far more regular basis.

Glad it is sorted out. I can guarantee you that the job would have been FAR more than 42 clams if they had done all the work. And now you know what the right tools are, and where. Just have to remember for next time... :)
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Nosubstance

Post by Nosubstance »

I know this is an old thread/post but it was one I started. I’m posting to share an update. My PCX has gone through three rear IRC’s (stock) tires. The second one went bald and took in a nail. Now my third went down to the wear marks with only about 3k miles on it. I’ve started a new job which has allowed me to buy tools and parts for the scooter so I can do my own service. The scooter won’t stay new forever, just trying to keep it pristine as possible.

Recently, finally purchased both front and rear Michelin City Grip tires. Changing the tires wasn’t easy but not all that difficult. I tried my best not to scratch the paint or coating on the rim but I can live with it. I used rim protectors and they helped but I still managed to cause damage. I can say the front IRC lasted 12k (11244) miles. Now that I have the MCG’s mounted all I can say is Wow! Definitely a Night n Day difference. Scooter rides smooth and I barely feel any bumps. I feel Honda needs to sell the PCX scooters with these as stock. Wish I had went MCG’s from the beginning, however at that time finances weren’t in my favor.
In summary for those new owners of a PCX150 get these tires and you won’t be disappointed. Granted I only went for short toot about 6 miles total 3 miles in each direction after installation. Since the PCX is my daily commuter I am going to share my thoughts and how I feel about them in about three months.