I need your advice please

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mike888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Gray pcx150

I need your advice please

Post by Mike888 »

Hi, I need your advice on a thing I have in mind. There is currently a seller selling his used 2015 Honda pcx with 1800 miles. There is another pcx that is a brand new 2016 Honda pcx. The problem with the used is that there are scuffs damage on both side of the bottom and the owner only has one key. He is asking $2400 for it. At the dealer the dealer is asking $3800 for a brand new one. What are you advices should I stick with the used or new. Thanks
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: I need your advice please

Post by kramnala58 »

What do your personal finances dictate? Can you pay cash for either one? If not, maybe the used one would cost less overall, although used vehicle loan rates are typically higher than new vehicle rates.

Is the $3,800 for the 2016 model an out the door price? Does the 2015 have any manufacturer's warranty left on it?

You mention scuffs. Are there any other indications on the bike that it was treated roughly? What is the riding experience if the 2015 owner? If he/she is an experienced rider, it would indicate that he/she was rough on it. If he/she is a relatively new rider, maybe the scuffs are "beginners" mistakes.

Does the owner of the 2015 have service records? What was (or wasn't) done?

Answering questions such as these may help you to discover your own answer.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

For the new pcx it is $3800 out the door. For the used one, the scuff came from when the daughter scratched both side when going through a tight fence. It seem the plastic is cracked. Other then that it looks new. Also the owner told me his neighbor down the street is a Honda motorcycle mechanic and he does the maintenance for him. But it's hard for me to verify if it is true or not.
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

Also the 2015 scooter does not have any warranty left
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

I have the money to buy a new one I just want to get an opinion since I know the 2015 model is same as 2016.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

You asked for an opinion ....

Like you, I could also pay cash for the new one, but personally, from what you have described, providing the guy seems honest, I would go for the 2015 and keep the $1,400 difference. Even if something goes wrong (which it probably won't), you can fix quite a bit for $1,400.

That is unless the 2016 is white and the 2015 is not. If that is the case, I would go for the white 2016 because it will be faster. ;) :lol: :lol:
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Personally, unless you are mechanical, I'd go for the new one, or get a 2017, as it's about the same price. One year warranty. The used bike is a shot in the dark. In my opinion.
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

Is knowing how to change the oil and gear and brake fluid mechanical enough. I hadn't a 2011 pcx125 and I took it all apart and was able to put back together.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I might take the 15 and after upgrades, tires, seat, grips etc. have a pretty sweet ride for the investment. But if it's the forward upper panels maybe not. Lower panels you could replace in a hour. If he just changed the oil given those miles I wouldn't worry much. You will have a 5k full service come up on you pretty fast and then you will rest easy.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Used for sure..Not many miles on it and other than a few repairable scratches you have a bike thats just broke in. With taxes and all you probably save 1500 +-. No brainer for me . Maybe he will have his mechanic replace the scratched panels in the price..
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

Thanks guys for your advices, I have decided to get the 2015 pcx. One question what should I look for when checking out the bike. Also do you think I need to do a valve adjustment once I get it... it is very necessary to follow the valves adjustment by Honda for every 2.5k
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mike888 wrote: Also do you think I need to do a valve adjustment once I get it.
No... in my opinion and personal experience, watch my video's and wait as long as you can before suffering this end.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

Thanks for posting up the video... I like how I goes step by step on removing the body parts for valve adjustment. One question when you slide the feeler gauge between the valve how does it feel like when it's tight, loose or just right. So temporarily I should do the valves yet right, when. Would you recommend I do the valves
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mike888 wrote:One question when you slide the feeler gauge between the valve how does it feel like when it's tight, loose or just right. So temporarily I should do the valves yet right, when. Would you recommend I do the valves
It's a crap shoot Mike depending on how your valves were set from the factory. I found my Honda to be tight (under spec) as described in the vid. This tells me I have a long way to go until needing adjustment and more importantly its OK to have them .001 inch under spec. Mine were .003 intake .008 exhaust if I remember correctly but check the playlist. Here is a guy that might help you in more detail as to how it feels. He dosent use a torque wrench so fail IMO but maybe with experience one doesn't... but that's not us right? If you want torque values and annotation in my video's I don't think you can see them on a smart phone, please use a tablet or computer to view and be precis and meticulous 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... 0K-ytyjOFg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Keep your 2011 125, its worth hardly anything in NADA or Blue Book Value.
Just add a freeway capable scooter in the price range of $2500-3000 like a 400 Burgman, Yamaha Majesty. They lose tremendous value no matter the miles it seems.
:geek:
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

I went to check out the 2015 pcx, it turns out it's been abused and maintenance was never done. There is no oil shown in dip stick. But when you drive it around you would see the oil from when you drive it. The oil is very dark. Also brake fluid you can see is very dark also. As a result I decided to officially buy a 2016 pcx 150. I bought it for $3900. Is that a bargain or did I over pay it. Also what should I do to properly break in the pcx.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Mike888 wrote:I went to check out the 2015 pcx, it turns out it's been abused and maintenance was never done. There is no oil shown in dip stick. But when you drive it around you would see the oil from when you drive it. The oil is very dark. Also brake fluid you can see is very dark also. As a result I decided to officially buy a 2016 pcx 150. I bought it for $3900. Is that a bargain or did I over pay it. Also what should I do to properly break in the pcx.
Sounds like a good decision given the condition of the 2015.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Not much advice on break in. There a two schools of thought- ride it like you stole it or treat it like a family heirloom.
Watch your fluids and maybe make it work once in awhile.
Be nice to it but ask it to do what you want every once in a while.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Just remember that the 600 mile inspection and valve adjustment are absolutely necessary, as well as the oil change, since this would be a 'break in maintenance and inspection'. After that, do the valve adjustment one more time by the book and then just play it by ear. I have two PCX 150s and after the first two valve adjustments everything has been within specs, and we have put some miles on the bikes since then with no problems. Learn to do your own maintenance and you will save a lot of money.
One last thing...I can't believe that the owner of that 2015 model was so callous about taking care of a $4,000 bike! It must be nice to be able to throw that kind of money away. I wonder if he treats his car that way. If so, don't follow too close behind him. He will need a tow eventually.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

I'm kinda nervous about doing my own valves. Do you recommend i take it out and allow the dealer to do it. I am capable of the oil change. But not the valve.