How much can the PCX take

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

chet
Year: 2013
Color: red

How much can the PCX take

Post by chet »

I have a 2013 PCX 150, there are times i make a 15-18 mile run on the interstates and thats is flat out bouncing off the rev limiter, maybe twice a week, for sure once, i keep it serviced ect, bike has 7500 miles on it now, will this kind of riding hurt it's engine life, would this be considered hard riding

Chet
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: How much can the PCX take

Post by kramnala58 »

If wide open was your all the time riding speed, it might be a concern, but a couple of times a week as a part of a larger percentage of other riding shouldn't be an issue.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Nearing 9000 miles on mine, engine seems sweet as a nut and it has this twice every day I take it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYjk3iMthQ
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chet wrote:I have a 2013 PCX 150, there are times i make a 15-18 mile run on the interstates and thats is flat out bouncing off the rev limiter, maybe twice a week, for sure once, i keep it serviced ect, bike has 7500 miles on it now, will this kind of riding hurt it's engine life, would this be considered hard riding

Chet
How many miles are you planning to keep the bike for?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I got my PCX toward the end of the summer last year. It has 11,000+ miles on it. For about nine months, I used it much the way you do, once or twice a week on 55+ mph roads. When I went to assess the driven pulley bearing, i observed that the faces on the drive pulley had become pretty well grooved from the heavy high speed riding. This is why I swapped out the variator for an NCY racing variator.

The engine itself seems none the worse for wear, but my hard use did take a toll on the transmission. Easy enough to fix though.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by riding@100mpg »

That's what the rev limiter does, shuts the engine down before any trouble occurs. Don't worry about it
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

DrewJW wrote:Nearing 9000 miles on mine, engine seems sweet as a nut and it has this twice every day I take it out:
Smooth ride Drew. I noted that your max speed was about 63-64 mph (due to traffic) and it didn't sound like the motor was straining. What has your top speed been?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

chet wrote:I have a 2013 PCX 150, there are times i make a 15-18 mile run on the interstates and thats is flat out bouncing off the rev limiter, maybe twice a week, for sure once, i keep it serviced ect, bike has 7500 miles on it now, will this kind of riding hurt it's engine life, would this be considered hard riding

Chet
Hi Chet,

That depends, HIGH QUALITY oil and keeping the oil changed will be CRITICAL if you want the engine to last with this kind of use. Honda knows a 150 sized engine will be run at wide open throttle much of the time, that small engine is designed exactly for that. BUT, doing this long term depends very much on you.

1. Use a good quality synthetic oil, and keep it changed.

2. Do not go to wide open throttle until engine is warmed up, doing this cold is very bad and will wear the engine a lot over time.

Mike
chet

Post by chet »

you you wrote:

Chet
i average 3500 miles a season, so i am hoping at least 4 YRS
chet

Post by chet »

honkerman wrote:I got my PCX toward the end of the summer last year. It has 11,000+ miles on it. For about nine months, I used it much the way you do, once or twice a week on 55+ mph roads. When I went to assess the driven pulley bearing, i observed that the faces on the drive pulley had become pretty well grooved from the heavy high speed riding. This is why I swapped out the variator for an NCY racing variator.

The engine itself seems none the worse for wear, but my hard use did take a toll on the transmission. Easy enough to fix though.
hi Paul

I never took off the drive cover, guess i should and see if my drive pulleys faces are worn, , so i see you use the so called NYC Variator, i am going to google that and check it out. i will be ordering new tires shortly and maybe i will see what i need to complete the drive set up

Chet
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

kramnala58 wrote:
DrewJW wrote:Nearing 9000 miles on mine, engine seems sweet as a nut and it has this twice every day I take it out:
Smooth ride Drew. I noted that your max speed was about 63-64 mph (due to traffic) and it didn't sound like the motor was straining. What has your top speed been?

I've had the needle at close to 70mph before I've backed off, not yet hit the limiter.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chet wrote:
you you wrote:

Chet
i average 3500 miles a season, so i am hoping at least 4 YRS
Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

DrewJW wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:

I've had the needle at close to 70mph before I've backed off, not yet hit the limiter.
That was my thought exactly, you would have to have a lot of help, downhill or some major drafting to actually hit the limiter. The original poster may be running wide open most of the time, but I seriously doubt he would hit the limiter often with a stock scooter. The PCX runs out of power before it reaches its RPM limit at high speeds...

Mike