Maybe an old question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Maybe an old question

Post by hondamatic »

Hi All,
I want to start out by saying I am new to this forum and currently have a Honda Metro that so far has suited my needs to the T. However after lurking and looking at the Honda website I have the urge to upgrade to a PCX now and have the bug.
A little about me, I live in Missouri north central part and try to ride year round at least until the snow flies or ice or below 35 as a daytime high. I ride to work about 2 miles and so far have really saved using my little Met. I don't want to trade it off but really don't have the room to keep two...unless my wife parks her car outside, which I can't see happening in this lifetime anyway. I teach at a technical school AutoCAD drafting and am 62 at the present time.
My quandry is I have been looking at a PCX and also at a Silverwing...big jump huh...I want to use the "new" bike for some highway riding to visit some relation that lives about 90 miles away. This would not be an everyday ride but maybe once a month or so, maybe more often in warmer weather. I guess what I am asking from all the gurus that have ridden PCX's is will this 150 do the ride for me or do I need a bigger ride? The highway trip would be on 65 mph roads for the whole way with some 4 lane but mostly 2 lane highways. The town driving is a piece of cake and I have no problem there.
Any concerns with what I am looking at? Will it hold 60 to 65 for that distance, 90 some miles one way? It would be with one rider and I am about 150 lbs.
Thanks for reading the lengthy intro and any opinions are welcomed and will be taken into consideration.
David
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
vwbike

Re: Maybe an old question

Post by vwbike »

hey i just bought my pcx 150 and i drive 98 miles every other day to my girlfriends house and i keep 65 mph to 68 mph the whole drive and i am about 170 pounds so i think it will work for u and that is on one tank of gas about 5 bucks over here hope this helps :D
[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vwbike/pcx150]Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Kymco Downtown 300i, more expensive but far better suited to highway use.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cooley_PCX_Rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cooley_PCX_Rider »

I can't say for sure but would recommend the PCX 150. I've only had mine for four days and 85 miles however I can't get her up to 65 yet. Perhaps because I weigh in at 234lb's.

I would not run this on the interstate. If you plan to do that I would go bigger.
Look at Burgman or something perhaps like that.
You will spend a bunch more so you might want a good warranty and some history you can count on.

I like Honda but it's my second one and the first was a Gold Wing that lasted 3 weeks. I'm a hard core biker
and like my fast low loud bikes too so I ride a Victory High ball that I've logged 12k miles on over 11months.
But I love the scoot for quiet and quick and not all up in your face testosterone.
Some days you just feel like a scoot.

That's cool that you are teaching CAD. I'm a CAD guy with Solidworks and Mastercam and Autocad. I own them all and design build, mold and CNC machine in Illinois.

Test ride a PCX before you decide. But if you weigh what I do perhaps you aren't going to see much over 55.
PCX 150 Rider from East Central Illinois in the middle of the United States of America

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

It all depends on the highway. Our 55mph highway around here typically has traffic moving at 75+mph, so I can't take my PCX on it. If you're genuinely going to be ok going no faster than 60-65mph, you would probably do well with a PCX 150.

I cannot recommend the Silverwing -- it's not an economy vehicle, the gas mileage is too poor. The Burgman is similar. You'd be just as good getting a mid-90's manual Civic and just not mashing the throttle down.

GN2's recommendation for a Kymco Downtown is good, Kymcos are cheap and fairly durable. You could look into a used Honda Reflex also. If you're ok with a motorcycle, the Honda NC700 gets ridiculously good gas mileage (75+mpg).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes