I almost did it AGAIN!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

I almost did it AGAIN!

Post by flyingzonker »

Out today PCXing. It is morning, maybe 10 am. I am on a road with a 35 mile speed limit. I'm doing close to 45. It had rained earlier in the morning, but for the time being there was only a faint misty drizzle. Suddenly I see, about 20 or 30 yards ahead, a very large iron plate covering 3/4 ths of the my lane. I must have been 12 ft wide by 20 long. It was wet. I swerved instinctively toward the meridian--the plate obstructed all the rest of the lane to the shoulder of the road. There were cars approaching from the opposite direction. I squeaked through the gap between the cars and the iron.

I know that if I had tried to cross over that wet plate I would have reached the other side of it either flying sideways, or lying down.

One more thing to be aware of, riders, one more booby trap to dodge.

This is the shit they throw at us two wheelers. A motorcycling highway commissioner would never resort to this strategy for covering excavations--he'd know better in his bones.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: I almost did it AGAIN!

Post by fish »

Nope....
You would have been just fine riding over a metal plate.
No different than any other surface which offers less traction to a two wheeler.....just don't brake or swerve or do anything to compromise the traction you do have.
Riders cross wet metal plates and bridges every day without drama.
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

fish wrote:Nope....
You would have been just fine riding over a metal plate. No different than any other surface which offers less traction to a two wheeler.....just don't brake or swerve or do anything to compromise the traction you do have. Riders cross wet metal plates and bridges every day without drama. Fish
I started to reply to the initial post stating the same thing, but wondered how thick the plate was. As with most metal grates and ice patches, unless you have to swerv or brake, don't - just roll over without touching the brakes or rotating the steering.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

If you're going straight, a metal plate, even a wet one, should be no sweat. If you were leaned over in a turn, that would be an entirely different scenario.

As for the allacrity with which the various DPW's and DOT's find new and exciting ways to try to kill us. Here in Lancaster County PA, they use pitch and gravel for paving many of the back roads. This makes using such roads a journey of constant excitement.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

If close to a stop light or on a curve I get plenty cautious too when I see those large metal plates.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Let me tell you about adventures that have happened here with those metal plates. The first adventure happened to my wife while driving along a street that has a 45 mph speed. There were two metal plates, one on each side. On her side, a big delivery truck was in front of her and ran over the plate at full speed. At the time my wife was driving her Volvo wagon, which has sense been replaced. The delivery truck cased the metal plate to bounce up and shift just before my wife reached it. Her front right wheel went down into the hole that the metal plate had been covering. After our car was towed out of that hole and taken to the garage, we called the county roads people and told them what happened. We had pictures and a police report, so they agreed to pay for the $3,000 repairs to the car, and immediately senthought a crew to handle the problem with the road, which the police had blocked off. Imagine what it would have been like if she had been on her bike!!
The second incident happened when they put too thick of a plate on the road and a motorcycle ran over it. You can imagine what it did to the bike front end. Different road crews in different areas seem to do things differently. I would have thought that they all use the same standards. I guess not, so be careful. You never know about those metal plates. Most are fine, but then there will always be that odd one that is either not all the way over the hole, or too thick, or something else is wrong with it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

There are metal plates everywhere here, especially since our flood.

The tricks to surviving lots of metal plates...
1. Don't tailgate--you want to see them coming well ahead of time
2. Don't speed, because you won't have the space to slow down before you reach them
3. Straighten up and keep a firm grip on the handlebars
4. Scan the outside edges for holes and sharp metal corners and make gentle course corrections to avoid them
Last edited by DailyRider on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel it's true, second to cross traffic road construction signs get my full attention when on two wheels. Perhaps born out of wanting to keep tar, gravel and concrete run off away from my bikes, but the mystery as to whats going in the street is happening fast at 45 mph.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I was driving the other day and was in a 55 mph zone when suddenly a curve came up and it went down to 45 and hidden by trees. As I started into the curve lying crossways was a branch 3-4 inches thick covering the whole lane. Must have fell off a landscape truck. I was in my vehicle , but I thought about if I was on the PCX that could have been disastrous. Road hazards are everywhere and when you least expect it they pop up.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

iceman wrote: I started to reply to the initial post stating the same thing, but wondered how thick the plate was. As with most metal grates and ice patches, unless you have to swerv or brake, don't - just roll over without touching the brakes or rotating the steering.
This plate--actually there were two of them together, as I learned today when I went back to take a pic--was thick. I would have bounced if I had taken them at the speed I was approaching at. That bounce, I feel, would have destabilized my bike--and what happens to a bike that is doing the front wheel shimmy (like your sister Kate) on a wet metal plate. In my next post I will put up a pic of these monsters.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

here is a pic of the plates that freaked me out yesterday. Thick and mean, if you ask me.
Attachments
streetplate.PNG
streetplate.PNG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1302 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

These were placed just beyond a side street exit, so that someone turning right at night might have a fight on their hands--especially a biker. No?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Yup, nasty ......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

That's a potential bust your ass on any bike LOL
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

What it is for? If it is to temporarily cover a road damage, they should've put an early warning sign on the road.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:What it is for? If it is to temporarily cover a road damage, they should've put an early warning sign on the road.
They are very effective if you need to keep a hole open temporarily for service and not close the road, but present a lllllllllllittle problem for bikers when wet :lol:

A white knuckle moment... we love it!!!
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

As mel said, be careful but also be SMART !! Your doing 45 in a "35" things tend to come at you faster like maybe........ a Cop! Remember...Never ride faster than your gardian angel can fly!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is hard enough going over those things when everything is fine. Add wet roads and it is down right scary. Heck, even cars brake for those things. Seems to me that they could put some kind of coating on them for better traction for everyone. When I was stationed on an icebreaker in the Antarctic region we mixed sand into our paint to give us better traction while the ship was rolling in the waves. Sand may wear off but I am sure there is paint out there that helps traction....and maybe they can paint it bright yellow while they are at it.
Last edited by Mel46 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GlassMan wrote:Never ride faster than your gardian angel can fly!!!
:lol: put a gremlin bell and these challenges always go well...

;) :( :o o_O WHERE THE HELL IS MY GREMLIN BELL!!!

IT FELL OFF?