My Newest Ride

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

My Newest Ride

Post by flyingzonker »

I gave up on the 01 Burgman that I had posted about here a few days ago--too old and too costly, or should I say: too costly for so much age? Anyway, I gave up on that machine--really, the seller was the one who did the giving up when he didn't even deign to reply to my bid (which, to tell the truth, might have been described as "lowball" in the most perjorative sense of that term), but I did not give up searching for a Burgman--and I found one! At a dealership in Elmhurst Il--a small city a few miles west of Chicago. I had to ride 80 miles to get there on my Reflex--and my Reflex did the work powerfully and without strain--but get there I did and found a beautiful 06 Burgman 400 sitting lonely as hell among about a million sportbikes and cruisers in a huge warehouse behind the dealership showroom.

The salesman asked me what I wanted for the Reflex. Like a complete simpleton I told him. I said I wanted 1500--I had paid 2000 about a year and a half ago. He said he could do that--after all why should he not have been able to? The Reflex had a beautiful Givi windscreen and top box. It had a little cosmetic damage but nothing terribly eye-catching.

When he agreed so readily to my figure, I started hedging and said something like, "Well maybe 1500 is not exactly right for this machine." He pressed me: " Well, what do you want for it then?" In the end I left it at 1500--this ask was conditioned by the fact that a few weeks earlier a Honda dealership had offered me 1200 in trade for it on a 2011 Yamaha Majesty that they in their parking lot.

What I should have done is this: I should have said: "No, you tell me what you are willing to give me and I'll tell you what I'm willing to take."Well, maybe not...

So, to abruptly shorten a long story: Here it is:
Attachments
burgman.PNG
burgman.PNG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 4290 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My Newest Ride

Post by flyingzonker »

Sorry for the shitty photo. I should have brought it out in the light.

The only thing I regret about the deal is I had to let go of my sweet little Reflex. Only a scooter lover knows how I feel about that loss.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks good. What are your initial thoughts on how it rides?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It looks great, maybe just add Batman's tonsils sticker and you will be ready to roll.
Have you got any more pics from different angles?
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

you you wrote:Looks good. What are your initial thoughts on how it rides?
It is quiet. Good low end torque. Feels stable at freeway speeds--I have only had it to about 73 ( I don't like septuagenarian speeds on two wheels no matter what I'm riding, but they come in handy sometimes) but I had plenty of throttle left.

This thing is not really a scooter--it is a motorcycle with an automatic transmission.

Suzuki did a nice job with the exterior too. The finish has a sparkling depth to it and all the panels fit together very snugly. My Reflex, much as I loved it (still do, though from a distance), makes the Suzuki look good in the context of sheer appearance.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

chicaboo wrote:It looks great, maybe just add Batman's tonsils sticker and you will be ready to roll.
Batman's tonsils? He doesn't have any; the Joker ripped them out long ago.

I am looking around for an appropriate between-the-bars emblem for the Burgman. I will know it when I see it.

Yes, the photo doesn't do the bike justice. I am going to upload some better pics by and by.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Excuse the masked license plate--it is an identity theft prophylatic-- but now that I think a little...well, it's not as if it makes sense to mask a license code that by law has to be conspicuous each and every day of its working life. Might as well mask on my face, like the Lone Ranger.

That's next.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Did I miss the part where you told us the price and mileage of the Burgman?
Stock screen?
Your height ? Impressions of stock screen at 60mph?
I am 6'3" and have never felt worse turbulance than I got from stock Burgman screen!
Thsnks
Fish
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

fish wrote:Did I miss the part where you told us the price and mileage of the Burgman?
Stock screen?
Your height ? Impressions of stock screen at 60mph?
I am 6'3" and have never felt worse turbulance than I got from stock Burgman screen!
Thsnks
Fish
It is NOT stock screen. They had one other Burgman 400, a later model than mine, with a stock screen--a nasty little piece of slanting plastic that looked like it was designed to give the wind a ramp up which it could rush straight and with main force into the rider's face. The one I bouught has an aftermarket full sized Givi screen that does a wonderful job keeping the wind off my head, body and hands. I am 5'7", but I know the stock screen would let the wind blow my head off, so I can imagine your predicament.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Congrats Fly! Excellent machine. Enjoy it in good health.
Bidding farewell to a bike you're so accustomed to is hard. Emotions Do play a role. I've cried watching them leave my sight. Several of them. But when the Newbie arrives and you start dating, whoa....you'll be engaged b4 you know it.
So enjoy, get familiar and ride on :P safely.

"I like the Burger!"

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Awaiting Brighter pictures...... Purdy Pleeze?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

flyingzonker wrote:
chicaboo wrote:It looks great, maybe just add Batman's tonsils sticker and you will be ready to roll.

I am looking around for an appropriate between-the-bars emblem for the Burgman. I will know it when I see it.

Yes, the photo doesn't do the bike justice. I am going to upload some better pics by and by.
I can pretty much guarantee that anyone under 40 wouldn't have any idea what this was:
Image1.png
Image1.png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
Image1.png
Image1.png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
This might be your new emblem.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Ishkabibble wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:

I can pretty much guarantee that anyone under 40 wouldn't have any idea what this was:
Image1.png
Image1.png
This might be your new emblem.
I am well over 40 and don't know what it is either . So...what is it?
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Very nice! And the paint matches your cars 8)
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had a Burgman just like that one, and I noticed right off that the windshield is a Givi. That bike is a beautiful bike and I had zero problems with mine. I added a Givi tailbox. Note that it has a passenger back rest. It was the only year in which they gave that to you for free. After that you had to buy it as an extra. It is an outstanding extra because passengers love them. In fact that bike is great for two up riding. I did that with my wife a few times before she wanted her own bike, though she was quite comfortable on my bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
I am well over 40 and don't know what it is either . So...what is it?

Me neither
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm up n over 40, and no idea. Ish,....do tell....What are we looking at?
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:I had a Burgman just like that one, and I noticed right off that the windshield is a Givi. That bike is a beautiful bike and I had zero problems with mine. I added a Givi tailbox. Note that it has a passenger back rest. It was the only year in which they gave that to you for free. After that you had to buy it as an extra. It is an outstanding extra because passengers love them. In fact that bike is great for two up riding. I did that with my wife a few times before she wanted her own bike, though she was quite comfortable on my bike.
I love the Burgman but have one problem with it--I can't fit a full face helmet in the trunk without leaning hard on the seat to engage the latch. Was that your experience?

I am adding a top box but for now, I want to tell the people who write the ads foir this machine that, no, a full face helmet won't fit in the trunk unless you muscle with the seat.
Last edited by flyingzonker on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

WhiteNoise wrote:Congrats Fly! Excellent machine. Enjoy it in good health.
Bidding farewell to a bike you're so accustomed to is hard. Emotions Do play a role. I've cried watching them leave my sight. Several of them. But when the Newbie arrives and you start dating, whoa....you'll be engaged b4 you know it.
So enjoy, get familiar and ride on :P safely.

"I like the Burger!"

Watch this vid and you know why it is almost impossible to speak a foreign language pronouncing it like a native--unless you are brought up in a family that spent half the year in the home country and half in the country where the second language is spoken. In which case both languages are first languages
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

What you all are looking at is the emblem for "The Science Patrol" otherwise known as "Science Special Search-Party" which is the name of the organization which seeks out hostile monsters and aliens in post-war Japan. One of the members of the Science Patrol, Shin Hayata, was secretly the human host of Ultraman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman

Who is "Ultraman" you say?

Why, this is Ultraman...

He's only the greatest science-fiction superhero of all time!
Attachments
Ultraman-1.png
Ultraman-1.png (34.92 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!