Airbox and exhaust observations

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Airbox and exhaust observations

Post by chicaboo »

Today I put my stock exhaust back on in the hope I would better be able to isolate a vibration/scrubbing sound.

After noticing my number plate rattles during warm-up, I stuffed a tissue in behind it as a temp fix before my test ride.
The second thing I noticed was that the bike was still noisy, this is because I've removed the outer airbox snorkel.
The next thing I noticed is that the bike lost some power. I didn't reset the ECU, so it's that or the a/m made some power?

I'm going to be putting the outer snorkel back in the airbox as it made no difference to performance other than added noise...
While the a/m exhaust is off I'm going to buy some exhaust wool and stuff it into the cannon with some mesh to secure it.
I'm hoping this will cut back some noise without blocking the exhaust or melting the mesh then blowing the wool past the baffle.

Just to amuse myself I might remove the baffle from the a/m exhaust and see how loud this sucker really is! :|
I never did work out where that vibration/scrubbing noise is coming from... :(
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Re: Airbox and exhaust observations

Post by BPT7594 »

Which exhaust are you using?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

"Realize Blink s/s exhaust" as is in my signature.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Update: after giving up not finding the source of my rattle/vibration/scrubbing sound, I put the sports exhaust back on without the silencer baffle.
Oh boy, how does Honky put up with that growling tiger of an exhaust he has?!? After a night ride I got back home feeling like I just attended a concert.
I'm putting the silencer back in tomorrow and will order some exhaust wool and mesh to quell the sound even further as mentioned earlier.
And I can confirm that my sports exhaust does indeed add some response/power beyond 50% throttle, even with the silencer fitted.
A highly tuned engine with bigger valves, cam and BBK might actually make even more power without the silencer, but not my stock engine it seems...
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Fugu »

Hi Chicaboo,

Can i get a hint, maybe a picture where the Snorkel actually is?
I feel lost and i have no idea :-(
I would like to try running without, for the sound.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I replied in the other thread, and sorry I don't have a picture I'm afraid.
The sound is quite terrible with the stock exhaust. It's very agricultural.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

chicaboo wrote:I replied in the other thread, and sorry I don't have a picture I'm afraid.
So, basically! It makes the PCX Sound like an old diesel tractor? :D or what are you saying?
I'm planning on taking it off when i get my Akrapovic exhaust.
Tonyx
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

I'm not sure if it matters to you but the stock exhaust is heavy and expensive as is because it contains catalytic converter inside. Even with the 'agricultural' sound, that's what makes it so guilt-free to use everyday and everywhere.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

Tonyx wrote:I'm not sure if it matters to you but the stock exhaust is heavy and expensive as is because it contains catalytic converter inside. Even with the 'agricultural' sound, that's what makes it so guilt-free to use everyday and everywhere.
You can get a full street legal Akrapovic System for the PCX, atleast they are legal here in Spain :-)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Fugu wrote:
chicaboo wrote:I replied in the other thread, and sorry I don't have a picture I'm afraid.
So, basically! It makes the PCX Sound like an old diesel tractor? :D or what are you saying?
"Diesel tractor" are the exact words I was going to use, but they might sound better?
You won't notice the difference unless that exhaust is very quiet, which I doubt.
If you really want to try it to know the difference, do it with the stock exhaust on.
Having tried it, I've been turned off the aftermarket air intakes like the Chimera, etc...
The only induction noise I've heard that sound worse than this is on my Jeep.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

chicaboo wrote:
Fugu wrote:
"Diesel tractor" are the exact words I was going to use, but they might sound better?
You won't notice the difference unless that exhaust is very quiet, which I doubt.
If you really want to try it to know the difference, do it with the stock exhaust on.
Having tried it, I've been turned off the aftermarket air intakes like the Chimera, etc...
The only induction noise I've heard that sound worse than this is on my Jeep.

Gotta tell you, I love the sound of old Diesel engines! So that's proberblt not an issue for me :D
We used to pump out a lot of the 1.6 Diesel engine in the VW Golf 2.

Anyways, will try with the stock exhaust to hear the difference first of all then.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

.[/quote]

The only induction noise I've heard that sound worse than this is on my Jeep.[/quote][/quote]

You bought a Jeep????? :o :o :o :o
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

And I'm selling a Jeep. Never again I tell you...
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fugu »

Jeeps is life <3