Resistance in steering head

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Resistance in steering head

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Hi all.

Was giving the bike a check over today, noticed with the back wheel held down on the centre stand checking for any movement on the head bearing, that the steering has a notch when on direct centre, which requires light force to overcome. For now it's not bothering the handling when riding as far as I can tell, but am interested if anyone else has had any issues with this before?
aka DrewJW
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Resistance in steering head

Post by easyrider »

"look mom, no hands " Prob for those who like to ride and do some texting at the same time ..I really dont know.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

DrewJW wrote:with the back wheel held down on the centre stand checking for any movement on the head bearing
you must be 300 lbs o_O I tried this to see if it was normal and I don't weight enough to tip the bike back on the C-stand... fat azz!
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Stood behind the bike pushing down ya git! had my father check the steering, then we noticed the notch.
aka DrewJW
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

DrewJW wrote:Stood behind the bike pushing down ya git! had my father check the steering, then we noticed the notch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: git... need to look that up :lol:

nope there is no resistance, I checked for ya
Attachments
V.JPG
V.JPG (40.19 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

homie wrote:
DrewJW wrote:Stood behind the bike pushing down ya git! had my father check the steering, then we noticed the notch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: git... need to look that up :lol:

nope there is no resistance, I checked for ya
Thanks, will bring it up at service time then, see how big a bill it's going to turn out, this rate it's new tyre, service, and possibly steering head bearing.

o_O
aka DrewJW
Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

That notchy feeling is indentation on the head bearing race. Either you hit a big bump, enough to bottom out the forks in big way, or you have very high mileage on you PCX.

It's not super urgent but it won't fix itself either. It will eventually need to be replaced with new bearing. Not a simple job but can be done by experienced person at his house.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Tonyx wrote:That notchy feeling is indentation on the head bearing race. Either you hit a big bump, enough to bottom out the forks in big way, or you have very high mileage on you PCX.

It's not super urgent but it won't fix itself either. It will eventually need to be replaced with new bearing. Not a simple job but can be done by experienced person at his house.
Got 6,600 miles on it currently, the pothole theory is possible though, did hit one at about 1,500miles, did have bike checked out though.

Thanks for the detailed response will pass it on to my tamed mechanic.
aka DrewJW
namthip
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by namthip »

That will be a worn steering head bearing. Time to replace it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Dealer warned me the steering bearing was worn and needed replacing at 6000 miles (coolant leak check) but quoted my 600 mile check was due soon !!! :) - never noticed a problem now at best part of 10k miles and steering turns freely from left to right. As others stated, your PCX steering bearing does need replacing or will do if it gets worse.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Well booked it in for the 13th, quoted a cost of about £130 all done. Fair enough I think.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:Well booked it in for the 13th, quoted a cost of about £130 all done. Fair enough I think.
Quote or estimate?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quote, bearings ordered.
aka DrewJW
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

All fixed, had some teething issues which got sorted. Left shop for a ride back home, only to get hit by a fucking stone from a van in front as I was moving out to overtake, which has chipped the left fender. It's a tiny chip smaller than a pin head, but noticeable by ME.
aka DrewJW
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

DrewJW wrote:All fixed, had some teething issues which got sorted. Left shop for a ride back home, only to get hit by a fucking stone from a van in front as I was moving out to overtake, which has chipped the left fender. It's a tiny chip smaller than a pin head, but noticeable by ME.

There are a number of stone quarries near me. This happens on a near-daily basis around here. :(

Highly irritating.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

What are my options? touch-up given the tiny area, or throw a new panel at it? don't fancy stickering her up to cover it.
aka DrewJW
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Gouge the other side with a screwdriver so you have matching scratches on either side.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:All fixed, had some teething issues which got sorted. Left shop for a ride back home, only to get hit by a fucking stone from a van in front as I was moving out to overtake, which has chipped the left fender. It's a tiny chip smaller than a pin head, but noticeable by ME.

Gosh, how ghastly awful.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

you you wrote:
DrewJW wrote:All fixed, had some teething issues which got sorted. Left shop for a ride back home, only to get hit by a fucking stone from a van in front as I was moving out to overtake, which has chipped the left fender. It's a tiny chip smaller than a pinhead, but noticeable by ME.

Gosh, how ghastly awful.
I know right, I shall write an angry letter to the local paper in the morning while having a Crumpet and Tea.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:
you you wrote:
DrewJW wrote:All fixed, had some teething issues which got sorted. Left shop for a ride back home, only to get hit by a fucking stone from a van in front as I was moving out to overtake, which has chipped the left fender. It's a tiny chip smaller than a pinhead, but noticeable by ME.

Gosh, how ghastly awful.
I know right, I shall write an angry letter to the local paper in the morning while having a Crumpet and Tea.

Use block capitals. Not all the time, just when appropriate.

And sign it Mr President.