PCX grinding noise at low speed

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Meridian
Year: 2010
Color: White

PCX grinding noise at low speed

Post by Meridian »

Hi all,

When I ride my 2010 PCX 125, I hear a sporadic noise from the rear, which I would describe as a "grind" or "grunt." It only happens at low speed of less thand 30 km/h (18 mph) and it tends to happen more when I'm riding 2 up. I weigh about 80 kg/175 lbs and my pillion are usually my kids, who are between 20-30 kg/45-60 lbs.

Here's a link to a recording I made of the sound:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6hrmz ... CX_125.mp3

The specific noise is heard at 4.7s, 5.2s, and several times more between 6s and 10.6s.

I found a related post here on this forum:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ise#p83727

But without some kind of audio recording against which to compare my bike's problem, it's hard to say if this is really the same thing. Anyone here have a similar problem? If so, what did you do to get it fixed?

Thanks,
Meridian

PS I've also noticed there are several points along the rim of the rear tire where the paint has been scraped away along its circumference and bare metal can be seen. I wonder if these two issues are related?
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Re: PCX grinding noise at low speed

Post by Fugu »

That does not sound good in my ears, but I'm no mechanic.
I would have taken it to the dealer asap.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Meridian wrote:Hi all,

When I ride my 2010 PCX 125, I hear a sporadic noise from the rear, which I would describe as a "grind" or "grunt." It only happens at low speed of less thand 30 km/h (18 mph) and it tends to happen more when I'm riding 2 up. I weigh about 80 kg/175 lbs and my pillion are usually my kids, who are between 20-30 kg/45-60 lbs.

The specific noise is heard at 4.7s, 5.2s, and several times more between 6s and 10.6s.

But without some kind of audio recording against which to compare my bike's problem, it's hard to say if this is really the same thing. Anyone here have a similar problem? If so, what did you do to get it fixed?

Thanks,

Meridian

PS I've also noticed there are several points along the rim of the rear tire where the paint has been scraped away along its circumference and bare metal can be seen. I wonder if these two issues are related?

Perhaps rotate the wheel whilst on the main stand and see if anything is causing the scraping?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Yes, take a load off by trying to mimic that on the center stand. Could just be a piece of plastic reaching a certain oscillation and vibrating at a couple different engine RPM's. Does not sound like grinding as much as vibrating. Maybe someone can throttle up slowly whilst you polk around on the panels and fenders.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Meridian wrote:Hi all,

Thanks,
Meridian

Does the sound happen in conjunction with a bump? It sounds like plastic rubbing like someone else said. If it happens primarily under load, it may simply be that your shocks are bottoming out (in fact, that's what it sounds like on your little audio file). If you're running stock shocks and you've got a lot of miles on the scoot. There's a fair chance they are worn out. Mine were bottoming out after 7,000 miles, but even if you have lower mileage than that, the age of the scooter will come into play as well.

Anyway, you can bounce on the shocks while the scoot is standing still. If they smack down hard, that's a fair sign they need replacing. If you're not sure you want to do this yourself, take it to a bike mechanic you trust.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Check tire in rear for fender or other rubbing. Wheel out of round or bent = wobbling .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Anything OP?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well I can't get the sound file to download so that I can listen to it, but I was one of the riders who had a bearing problem. The bearing problem we had was a clutch bearing...well 2 bearings. The easiest way to see if it it that particular bearing is to put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel backwards. Do this with it running and with it not running. If you hear a grinding, it is the bearing. First make sure nothing is rubbing while it is on the center stand. Some of the pcx owners tied up the rear fender and put a wider tire on. Make sure yours has the correct size rear tire.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Meridian wrote: When I ride my 2010 PCX 125, I hear a sporadic noise from the rear, which I would describe as a "grind" or "grunt."
Well it is a 2010 with a million miles on it,
perhaps its time to let go.

Take a moment,
have mercy,
go on and put her down... sigh*

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

My rear wheel has always made some noice if I rotate it forwards or backwards when on the centre stand, and I can hear some noice with the bike off but slowly moving it to park up. Not sure what noise is normal - so, is there some mild 'noise' with a good bearing? Anyone got a recording of a 'good' clutch and bearing :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When I move our bikes around, when they are turned off, there is not noise. In fact, there is no noise when I roll it back while on it. Maybe your bearing has been going bad for a while. Our problem really showed up at 10,000 miles, though it was noticeable prior to that time, just not as loud. The part itself is only about $30, but if you have no place to work on the bike you will have to have a shop do it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

It was Mel's thread on the rear wheel bearing noise that alerted me to similar noise I had. I ended up replacing the rear pulley driven plate with the two offending bearings in it, same as Mel's.

It was about $40 part shipping included. However it's not trivial and I wouldn't recommend it for a novice to scooters to attempt it by themselves. If there was wrench rating system where tearing apart the engine was 5 wrench difficult and changing oil was 1 wrench, I would put this repair at 3 wrench difficulty rating.
MayHem
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by MayHem »

Tonyx wrote:It was Mel's thread on the rear wheel bearing noise that alerted me to similar noise I had. I ended up replacing the rear pulley driven plate with the two offending bearings in it, same as Mel's.

It was about $40 part shipping included. However it's not trivial and I wouldn't recommend it for a novice to scooters to attempt it by themselves. If there was wrench rating system where tearing apart the engine was 5 wrench difficult and changing oil was 1 wrench, I would put this repair at 3 wrench difficulty rating.
Hi Tonyx, care to advise the required part numbers and where you ordered from?

Cheers
2012 PCX150 - Red Sold
2015 PCX150 - White
2015 PCX150 - Red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

You might find some help on this thread:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... ing#p90827
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

MayHem wrote:
Tonyx wrote:It was Mel's thread on the rear wheel bearing noise that alerted me to similar noise I had. I ended up replacing the rear pulley driven plate with the two offending bearings in it, same as Mel's.

Hi Tonyx, care to advise the required part numbers and where you ordered from?

Cheers
See topic here( http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6049 ) where I spell out the steps to R&R. I ordered the parts from partzilla.com. Part no. 23205-KWN-640 FACE SET, DRIVEN
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I wonder if the replacements will show the same issue or Honda have fixed the issue with the spare parts.
Meridian
Year: 2010

Post by Meridian »

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I think the problem's finally been sorted.

I'd noticed that when I put the bike on the center stand and rolled the rear wheel there was a whirring or light grinding noise. I had my local Honda shop inspect the bearings and sure enough, they were in need of replacing. Good to get that fixed. But on the ride home, I noticed the grunt was still there.

Took it back this morning and the mechanics gave it another go. Well, it turns out the problem was the ...well, I'm not sure what it's properly called, since I ride in Thailand. But the Thai translates as "unit that adjusts and sets tension" - basically a mechanism that maintains tension on the timing chain. #3 in the link below:

http://mototh.com/en/page/1040

Perhaps the lack of tension at low speeds would cause the chain to flap around. I didn't notice the noise at all above 30-40 km/h so perhaps at higher speed the momentum of the chain kept it from flapping? Just some guesses on my part.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Interesting. Would never thought. Thanks for sharing the information.
BTW the referenced part is called "Timing chain tensioner" in English.