The right tool for the job

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mike11148
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

The right tool for the job

Post by mike11148 »

Hi all,
I just did my 2nd oil change on my PCX150 and decided to change the gearbox oil at the same time.I read several posts on this forum over the last month or so suggesting an oil syringe would be helpful injecting the oil into the gearbox and topping off the engine oil.While shopping at Amazon where I also buy the exact motor oil Honda recommends in my manual,I came across this old fashioned pump oiler with a flex spout,it holds 12 ounces and works like a dream for filling the gearbox and topping off the oil.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YK76/re ... PPPNPVQFY6
It could not be easier since Honda recommends the same oil in the engine and the gearbox.Just leave the oil in the can until next time.
I also read a post on this forum about a less messy way to change the motor oil.It suggested rather than putting the bike on the center stand to change the oil put it on the side stand to loosen the drain bolt and level the bike after the oil starts draining.I took this idea one step further and sat on the bike and tipped the bike to the right to aid in removing more oil.I confirmed both times by removing the screen filter on the other side of the engine that all the oil was drained from that area as well.Not one drop of oil was in that screen and not one drop of oil to clean off the floor.
I hope this helps others because these ideas would have helped me.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: The right tool for the job

Post by flyingzonker »

You're right. That oil can would probably be easier than using a syringe--with the syringe you have the added work of filling it, which is a multiple step process that has to be repeated next time you have to do the drive oil change. Also, the points you bring up re: changing the oil--something to try next time I change mine.

Two thumbs up to you!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:You're right. That oil can would probably be easier than using a syringe--with the syringe you have the added work of filling it, which is a multiple step process that has to be repeated next time you have to do the drive oil change. Also, the points you bring up re: changing the oil--something to try next time I change mine.

Two thumbs up to you!

I used an oil can the last time I changed the gearbox oil as I couldn't find my large syringe. Worked perfectly.

I also put a small dot of paint on the two removed bolts to save me double checking which ones to use next time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have not seen one of those things since the 1960s! Those are great. Thanks for finding that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers