Make some noise

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Make some noise

Post by honkerman »

I finally understand the appeal of Harley noise. I don't get the whole chrome land yacht thing, but the noise, I get it. See blog post for details

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/07 ... noise.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Make some noise

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:I finally understand the appeal of Harley noise. I don't get the whole chrome land yacht thing, but the noise, I get it. See blog post for details

Wait till you discover alcohol.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:I finally understand the appeal of Harley noise. I don't get the whole chrome land yacht thing, but the noise, I get it. See blog post for details

Wait till you discover alcohol.
Already have, but I find it mixes poorly with vehicle operation. :lol:

Many Harley riders have yet to discover or at the least acknowledge the negative aspects of this combination.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

For me Noise is for boys.. I think the American mentality stemming from the bad boy look of the gang groups back in the 50's gives it the popularity and attractiveness of many folks today. The appearance of some that drive the biggest noise makers are generally (not all) deplorable, unkempt, and scary more so to the tune of carrying MRSA than being a street tough guy. Personally, I prefer the Japanese and European mentality of a smooth sewing machine like running motor with a soft throaty hum. A smooth BMW to me is a much more cultured and advanced machine than those loud washing machine Harley Davidson types that shake like a jitterbug.I like the idea of having speed , awesome acceleration and not having to show the world I have it.. I actually think that those loud exhaust do nothing for safety as they are noisy after they pass you, not so much on the upcoming.. To each is own I guess...the main thing is to have fun and enjoy 2 wheeling !!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:For me Noise is for boys.. I think the American mentality stemming from the bad boy look of the gang groups back in the 50's gives it the popularity and attractiveness of many folks today. The appearance of some that drive the biggest noise makers are generally (not all) deplorable, unkempt, and scary more so to the tune of carrying MRSA than being a street tough guy. Personally, I prefer the Japanese and European mentality of a smooth sewing machine like running motor with a soft throaty hum. A smooth BMW to me is a much more cultured and advanced machine than those loud washing machine Harley Davidson types that shake like a jitterbug.I like the idea of having speed , awesome acceleration and not having to show the world I have it.. I actually think that those loud exhaust do nothing for safety as they are noisy after they pass you, not so much on the upcoming.. To each is own I guess...the main thing is to have fun and enjoy 2 wheeling !!!

I agree. Last thing I want is to attract attention. I'd rather go fast looking slow than the other way around.

Mind you the boxer cup does have a baffless staintune exhaust on it. It's not noisy honest.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Revzilla's Common Tread had an interesting take: http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/st ... save-lives

I agree. I much prefer a sewing machine sound to that of a cigarette boat. But as always, "whatever floats your boat".
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

yes I saw that too

64.9 percent of multiple-vehicle motorcycle crashes were the fault of the car driver and “the typical accident in this category is portrayed by the automobile in traffic turning left into the path of the oncoming motorcycle.” A lot has changed in 40 years, but one thing that I think we can all agree hasn’t changed is that the car drivers are still pulling out in front of us. That means the bigger danger is still ahead, not behind, but most of the racket from loud pipes is just pissing off the people behind you, while doing very little to warn those in front of you.

The factor this article ignores is the difference between the concussion of a twin from your "sewing machine" engines. The thump, thump gets the same attention as the brothers stereo woofers and people do start looking around at the intersections. When in motion the whale of the Japanese bikes is still king.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Fugu »

Who does not like an awesome roar from an awesome engine?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

HD noise is good for keeping a girl from hitting you from behind on her Schwinn - which, unless you're parked, is where the noise is.
Rear facing HD toilet pipes are no help at all from F- 250's hitting you from the front.
HD riders need to re-plumb & reverse their exhausts to be safer with noise....or only ride in reverse.
It is so refreshing to hear any bike (or scooter) go quietly by with an adult in the saddle. Classy behavior.
glad to be of help....

Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Have the malossi exhaust with db killer, took it out, appreciated the "more noise" setting, but put it back in after going around the block. Like quiet more......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There is no sound worse than the noise of a harley.
The noise coming out the mouth of a harley fan is a close second.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

As I observed on my blog, the Loud pipes save lives crowd are full of horse manure. For me, it's my juvenile side coming out.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

honkerman wrote:As I observed on my blog, the Loud pipes save lives crowd are full of horse manure. For me, it's my juvenile side coming out.
hehe... yes FUN! :lol:
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Fugu »

Harley <3
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

"That's right, I took out the baffle and the exhaust is once again at full song. It is funny to see the reactions of people who look up to see what kind of motorcycle is making all the racket. The expressions of surprise and bemusement are priceless." (Quote from your blog post on this subject)

When I read the above, this video sprang into memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnr6uGIV8no
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

flyingzonker wrote:"That's right, I took out the baffle and the exhaust is once again at full song. It is funny to see the reactions of people who look up to see what kind of motorcycle is making all the racket. The expressions of surprise and bemusement are priceless." (Quote from your blog post on this subject)

That would be abhorrent to ride with all that weight on the handlebars.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

flyingzonker wrote:"That's right, I took out the baffle and the exhaust is once again at full song. It is funny to see the reactions of people who look up to see what kind of motorcycle is making all the racket. The expressions of surprise and bemusement are priceless." (Quote from your blog post on this subject)

I need that!
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:There is no sound worse than the noise of a harley.

2 year old granddaughters waking up at 4:00 in the morning....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sounds exactly like a job for Grandma :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

honkerman wrote:As I observed on my blog, the Loud pipes save lives crowd are full of horse manure. For me, it's my juvenile side coming out.
Which, for me, is the same reason I fitted mine with a canister air breather. I like the looks and I like the sound. Nothing more, nothing less. Not for all, but it is for me.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(