General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SBMAUI
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by SBMAUI »

Aloha from Maui. Long time lurker (years), finally took the plunge and joined. A big mahalo to all of you for the information I've learned from this site. Started in August 2013 with a new black PCX 150. Brought it in for the first service and ended up driving home with a new 2014 Forza (non ABS). Missed the PCX and ended up buying a used white 2015 PCX with only 700 miles on it. Love them both for different reasons.

Maui is a great scenic place for riding. My only "problem" would be the warm weather. I ride with full safety gear including boots, gloves, kevlar Draggin jeans, Bohn armor, jacket with armor, and full face helmet. Heat = fatigue. Sometimes I put a damp tee shirt in the freezer or fridge and put it on right before I start riding. Helps to keep me cool for an hour or so.

Again, thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge and experiences.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: New Member

Post by gn2 »

Hi and welcome.

Do you have mesh kit?
A mesh jacket offers good protection and ventilation.
An MX style lelmet with goggles might also help.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a mesh Tourmaster Sonora in Hi-viz yellow and it stays cool while I am riding. It has the armor built into it and comes with 3 layers, which I am sure you will not need. The point though is that mesh riding jackets are a safe alternative to heavy leathers or some other heavy armor. It is hot and humid here in Georgia, so I know what you mean about heat. I walked away from an accident last September with a very minor injury (sore wrist). I had that jacket on plus what I would call a kidney belt, knee padding, mesh riding gloves with plastic on the knuckles, and what I would call riding tennis shoes...though that may not be the appropriate term. You can find them on most motorcycle websites such as bikebandit.com
http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-a ... -moto-shoe
http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-a ... ycle-shoes
They make riding much more comfortable in hot weather.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SBMAUI
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by SBMAUI »

Thanks gn2 and Mel. I do use mesh, have a Hi-viz Teknic mesh jacket and my gloves are mesh with leather on the knuckles. I also have some type of a cooling vest that I soak in ice water. It absorbs a lot of water and while underway the evaporative process does keep me cool. But it really gets me too wet. This vest would probably work best in a very low humidity desert setting. I try to start my rides by 7 or 8 am, and finish up before 2 in order to beat the heat.

Mel, I did read about your accident in September (been a long time lurker) and was glad to read your wife has started to ride again. Your experience highlights the benefits of proper riding gear. So many people on island ride without a helmet, no shirts, in beach shorts wearing flip-flops or "slippahs" as we call them here. They look so cool and comfortable, but scares the you know what out of me.

Gn2, wish I had the Forza with ABS as you do. At the time I bought my Forza (was a total whimsical, non planned, spur of the moment purchase for me) there were no ABS units in stock as the dealer only brings those in with special orders. I've had a few experiences where the ABS would have come in handy. I probably will not buy another scooter without ABS.
SBMAUI
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by SBMAUI »

Never uploaded the obligatory photos of my scooters. Here they are:
Attachments
2014 Forza side view.jpg
2014 Forza side view.jpg (169.25 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
2015 PCX.jpg
2015 PCX.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Welcome, I was just there recently and took a rental scooter up your north end twisties. Temperatures were ideal and didn't even use AC on the beach front property just open air cool breeze all night. Wish I was back there right now good memories. One thing about Maui for scooters is you are allowed to use the emergency lanes and shoulders to move beyond traffic jams or if highway speeds are threatening. Is that a written law or perhaps just the understanding and sympathetic local police? (who all ride motorbikes too).

Anyhow nice collection of scooters 8)
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

You have good taste in scooters! I'm diggin' the winged Honda sticker on the Forza. Can you provide info on your PCX saddle bags por favor? I got to drive around Maui once but unfortunately it was in a rental car - would love to go back and rent a scooter next time!
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Nice scoots. Welcome welcome...

I am intrigued to know what is under the other covers though.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ yes, that is a tease isn't it? :P
Thanks for posting your lovlies or "precious" as we say. Do you favor one over the other riding around beautiful Maui?

Greg, those side bags are from (Kwik Tek) Scooter Logic. I have them as well. Good for my needs. Like them and the way they look. Not too big, not small. Insulated. Happy Price.
Amazon is your friend,....friend ;)
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... addle+bags
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SBMAUI
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by SBMAUI »

WhiteNoise, the saddlebags are indeed the Kwik-Tec bags from Scooter Logic. I believe you were the inspiration for me buying them back in 2013 after seeing one of your posts. I think (not sure) I saw the Honda Wings on Fish's Forza.

I like both bikes for different reasons. The Forza is great for those drives involving long steep hills when riding up to Haleakala. There have been times when I'm going up steep hills against a 35 mph headwind and had trouble maintaining 40 mpg on the PCX. Could not keep up with the flow of traffic and just not safe. With the Forza, I am able to go anywhere and go with the flow. The PCX is great for around town or as long as I am not going to go up any steep hills for sustained periods of time.

Homie, on Maui, small 50cc or less scooters can use the bike lanes or on the shoulders. They're really not suppose to be riding with the cars.

Honkerman, here's a photo of three other bikes that are "under the covers." The two on the left are Harleys, the two on the right are Hondas, including my Forza. This shot was taken about two weeks ago on a 120 mile ride from Kaanapali to the winery in Kula and back. Awesome ride.

My riding buddy with the yellow Harley is 84 years old, a retired military vascular surgeon, usually rides in shorts, no shirt no helmet. Rides a bicycle 30-40 miles in a day, and in his spare time flies his airplane. What an inspiration.
Attachments
group ride.jpg
group ride.jpg (528.7 KiB) Viewed 1057 times