Recall on 2014 FORZA

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Re: Recall on 2014 FORZA

Post by CelticCross »

Was at large dealership yesterday to look around when one of the customers came up to me and asked if I knew that the brake lights were not working. I immediately found a salesman and traded the Forza for a Burgman 400. The 60 mile ride home was quite enjoyable.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My Forza has had the left lever's brake light switch replaced twice.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My Forza was rattling today so I decided to try to put double sided tape in a few spots. I tried to get some under the y shaped trim piece on the nose. I undid the bolt under the headlights holding it on. I pried it apart a little to put the tape in. I put the bolt back in and gave it a little tug. It all was still loose. I had a closer look and discovered that where the bolt attaches to the y shaped piece was missing. I had a closer look and someone at the dealership during the brake system recall had used a plastic repair system to re-attach the bolt "hole" in totally the wrong spot.

I am going to need a new y shaped trim piece. Where should I get one?

The mechanic may have broken the part taking it apart or it may have been broken already. I looked at where the "bolt hole" should have been attached. The plastic was only one millimetre thick there. Very poor engineering. I tried to put double sided foam tape in a few other rattling areas. There were little teeny tabs holding parts together with more 1 millimetre bulges expecting to hold parts together at 120 kilometres per hour. Again very poor engineering.

The scooter also is like riding a wet piece of spaghetti down the highway. It flexes all over the place. Very unstable. I hit a small sinkhole at 100 kmph and nearly bounced right off the scooter. Very badly engineered suspension.

There are a lot of things I like about the Honda Forza but I am coming to the conclusion that it is not good enough for me. I am going to start looking for a Burgman 400.
Toria63
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Post by Toria63 »

I too have had a recall request on my Forza for the rear brake issue - have been told I have to leave the bike in the dealership ALL day! Let's just hope they can give me a courtesy bike because the dealership is kind of in the middle of nowhere! It doesn't fill one with much confidence that this is the second recall I've had but I guess you could argue that at least Honda are on top of things. Either way, I don't think I will be buying another Honda when it's time for a trade-in!!! :roll:
Toria63
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Post by Toria63 »

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Burgy 400 - I had one a few years ago and they're fab BUT they do sound a little like a lawn-mower when riding along!! I'm contemplating the 650 though it's a heavy beast - I had one a few years ago and loved it but they're expensive to service if you're not a mechanic - which I'm not! Good luck with whatever you decide - it's a real shame as the Forza is a nice looking bike but it sounds like either you have a lemon or a bad mechanic - do you take it to a Honda dealership?

Best of luck,

Toria
davenowherejones wrote:My Forza was rattling today so I decided to try to put double sided tape in a few spots. I tried to get some under the y shaped trim piece on the nose. I undid the bolt under the headlights holding it on. I pried it apart a little to put the tape in. I put the bolt back in and gave it a little tug. It all was still loose. I had a closer look and discovered that where the bolt attaches to the y shaped piece was missing. I had a closer look and someone at the dealership during the brake system recall had used a plastic repair system to re-attach the bolt "hole" in totally the wrong spot.

I am going to need a new y shaped trim piece. Where should I get one?

The mechanic may have broken the part taking it apart or it may have been broken already. I looked at where the "bolt hole" should have been attached. The plastic was only one millimetre thick there. Very poor engineering. I tried to put double sided foam tape in a few other rattling areas. There were little teeny tabs holding parts together with more 1 millimetre bulges expecting to hold parts together at 120 kilometres per hour. Again very poor engineering.

The scooter also is like riding a wet piece of spaghetti down the highway. It flexes all over the place. Very unstable. I hit a small sinkhole at 100 kmph and nearly bounced right off the scooter. Very badly engineered suspension.

There are a lot of things I like about the Honda Forza but I am coming to the conclusion that it is not good enough for me. I am going to start looking for a Burgman 400.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

We have very few "Honda" dealerships in the Vancouver, BC, Canada area. Carter in Vancouver is 133 km and Kelowna Honda is 158 km. The rest of the dealers all carry multiple brands. I go to Big Top Powersports in Chilliwack. They carry Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, Arctic Cat. They have 4? mechanics who have to do all of those brands and snow mobiles as well. I think I have the only Forza in the area. Scooters are rare and maxi scooters barely exist.

I noticed 6 more missing bolts? Two underneath the scooter. And two on each side of the bottom of the little top glove boxes. I need to find out what was in those holes? Screws? Plastic pop rivets? And what is inside? Nut? Threaded plastic? Broken parts?

I also need to find a window and back my scooter up to it to see if my brake light works?

All of this is probably a complete waste of time. I have a "spot" on my lungs. I cannot talk sometimes. And my neighbour just died under similar circumstances.

Each time I went to the doctor I got sicker so I quit going to the doctor. Some doctors are worse than motorcycle mechanics.

I am going to forget about recalls and doctors. I am going riding!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Enjoy it while you can, no-one gets out alive ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Does anyone know where this possibly loose fitting is? And what things need to be removed to get to it? Just scheduled mine in for this recall (two weeks away) and am a bit worried about what other problems could be created when the mechanic (excuse me...technician) attempts to take it apart to check the tightness. I've had the Forza for two years and 10,000 miles...no fluid loss. I'm confident the fitting is okay, but keep getting reminders from Honda about it. Thanks
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Had mine done about a month ago at a Honda dealership without any issues arising....and I had noticed no problem from the part and after 8000 mls. My understanding is that they need to remove bits of the tupperware to get to the part which needs tightening to a certain torque.So I suppose the only "concern" relates to taking off of the plastic bits and any possible issues arising from that. The garage had it done in around 4 hrs after dropping off the Forza and I dont know when in that 4 hrs they started. All seems |OK with mine after the work.However with my garage in Glasgow I suspect they had already done one or two.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

CelticCross wrote:Was at large dealership yesterday to look around when one of the customers came up to me and asked if I knew that the brake lights were not working. I immediately found a salesman and traded the Forza for a Burgman 400. The 60 mile ride home was quite enjoyable.
That wasn't a customer - it was the other Burgman salesman!
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Brake light switches are cheaper than a Burgman :lol: