speed wobble

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

speed wobble

Post by flyingzonker »

I came across this on Youtube. If you watch the first 5 mins you will get the best of it.

Speed wobble,aka shimmy, is a really nasty phenomenon that anyone on a motorbike should be wise to. Too much speed is one of the causal factors. There are others; look them up on Wikipedia. Increasing the inflation in front tire seems to help prevent the problem.

I recall many years ago standing on the shoulder of an expressway. A guy, shirtless and without a helmet, went by on a cruiser of some make. Suddenly the front end started to shake powerfully. Something happened then that I have only experienced one other time in my life (which I won't go into): I saw waves coming off this rider, as though he were a rock that had been thrown into a still pond. I actually SAW the vibration of terror being emitted from this man. Happily he was able to dampen the steering and get the bike back on a steady course.

This vid is also a good reminder of how nice it can be to have a helmet strapped to your head if you happen to get thrown off at high--or any other--speed.

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: speed wobble

Post by chicaboo »

Poor guy, at least he seems relatively unharmed for how hard he hit the deck.

Speed wobble has always been a concern for me on the bicycle since it can happen at lower speeds.
The fastest I've been on the bicycle is about 64kph, and speed wobble can occur from about 70kph on.
You have a chance to catch it on a bicycle at least. Not sure what the recovery process is on a motorcycle?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have seen the "death wobble" on videos of bikes trying to break the 200 mph record. I know that they go through a lot to try not to have that but it does happen. I'm not sure what can be done to correct it once it starts. It happens very quickly.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

chicaboo wrote: The fastest I've been on the bicycle is about 64kph, and speed wobble can occur from about 70kph on.
You have a chance to catch it on a bicycle at least. Not sure what the recovery process is on a motorcycle?
Grab the grips and strong arm the steering back to center--that at least would be the instinctive response. Need to be very quick and very strong.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:I have seen the "death wobble" on videos of bikes trying to break the 200 mph record. I know that they go through a lot to try not to have that but it does happen. I'm not sure what can be done to correct it once it starts. It happens very quickly.
I would think that at that speed when this condition comes into play all you can do is close your eyes and wait for the angels to come and carry you home.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The PCX doesn't tank slap or wobble. The CBR250R doesn't do it. The R3, Ninja20, Ninja650, Yamaha Majesty, none of my bikes do it. Don't worry about it.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Good to know, I always wonder what a slide would be like at 90 but this is worse as he tumbled and survived. His injuries should have been the more typical squid rash if he slid. Note he remembers nothing during tumbling because the initial thump on the helmet spared him the rest. Unconscious rag doll effect is why relaxed drunks rarely get hurt in a collision. All around lucky kid from start to finish. Fall off, bump head, the rest is witness account. We all should be so lucky.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:The PCX doesn't tank slap or wobble. The CBR250R doesn't do it. The R3, Ninja20, Ninja650, Yamaha Majesty, none of my bikes do it. Don't worry about it.

Exactly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Good to know, I always wonder what a slide would be like at 90 but this is worse as he tumbled and survived. His injuries should have been the more typical squid rash if he slid. Note he remembers nothing during tumbling because the initial thump on the helmet spared him the rest. Unconscious rag doll effect is why relaxed drunks rarely get hurt in a collision. All around lucky kid from start to finish. Fall off, bump head, the rest is witness account. We all should be so lucky.

Kyle Minogue should write a song about it :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yeah, "Shake Your Booty" ^ :D that song lives already! just sayin' and...I'm done here :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh and I never ever, never ever want to feel a Wobble o_O I Pass!

*Thanks sendler for taking That Off my (our) minds
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

sendler2112 wrote:The PCX doesn't tank slap or wobble. The CBR250R doesn't do it. The R3, Ninja20, Ninja650, Yamaha Majesty, none of my bikes do it. Don't worry about it.
These sound a lot like famous last words to me. You can shimmy on a bicycle.

Here's what can happen on an R6 (never happen,of course, on a Ninja 650):
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I would crush that piece of shit and use it for a coffee table like Eric Buell did with the Buell Blast inventory when Harley tried to claw them back. Heck you couldn't even sell that and live with yourself :x
Attachments
crushed.jpg
crushed.jpg (6.34 KiB) Viewed 4148 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote:I would crush that piece of shit and use it for a coffee table like Eric Buell did with the Buell Blast inventory when Harley tried to claw them back. Heck you couldn't even sell that and live with yourself :x
I don't know anything about the Blast but we have swarms of Harleys around here. Speaking of that, have you ever heard the one about how you can tell a Harley from a Hoover? The Harley is the one with the dirt bag on top.

This joke would probably have more point in Hell's Angel territory than where I'm at.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

flyingzonker wrote:
homie wrote:I would crush that piece of shit and use it for a coffee table like Eric Buell did with the Buell Blast inventory when Harley tried to claw them back. Heck you couldn't even sell that and live with yourself :x
I don't know anything about the Blast but we have swarms of Harleys around here. Speaking of that, have you ever heard the one about how you can tell a Harley from a Hoover? The Harley is the one with the dirt bag on top.

This joke would probably have more point in Hell's Angel territory than where I'm at.
Thanks FZ!
I was needing a joke to tell next Sunday on my 3 hour tour with mostly Harley owners... I think I will save it until after we get back home though.
Attachments
schedule.jpg
schedule.jpg (60.73 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterAddict »

I have witnessed many high speed wobbles, also saw crashes. One of them was a rider being bucked off at 80mph with helmet, leather jacket and no gloves. Worst road rash I have ever seen.

When you start to experience high speed wobble the worse thing you can do is abruptly close the throttle. Try to maintain the throttle or increase just a hair. At the same time leaving the throttle in place, start applying the rear brake progressively. Do not use the front brake. Closing the throttle will exaggerate the wobble. Look on YouTube.

Make sure your steering head bearings are adjusted properly. When tightening or loosening the bearing to set preload, make sure you loosen the forks slightly with the pinch bolts. Not to loose or the forks will fall out. You will need to raise the front end off the ground slightly, just enough to see daylight. Or touching the ground ever so slightly. While you are setting the tension on the bearing you may want to turn the forks from side to side. Doing this could help prevent brinneling. While suspended, the bearing is set properly when the steering will fall from side to side with just a little bit of tension. This is tricky and takes a gentle touch. Just a hair to tight and when riding it will fell like you are stuck in a giant rain groove that requires more effort to turn.

That is my $.02 and I hoped I explained my process of adjusting steering head bearing.
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

[quote="ScooterAddict
That is my $.02 and I hoped I explained my process of adjusting steering head bearing.[/quote]

I'll say this: You gave it a hell of a good try.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Anyone ever adjusted the steering head bearings on a PCX or Forza, how much disassembly is needed to get at the adjuster and lock nuts?
ScooterAddict wrote:When tightening or loosening the bearing to set preload, make sure you loosen the forks slightly with the pinch bolts.
Not required on most scooters because they are single clamp.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Anyone ever adjusted the steering head bearings on a PCX or Forza, how much disassembly is needed to get at the adjuster and lock.

I think you start by removing the rear light...?