L plates on PCX 125 in UK

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PingGam
Year: 2012 PCX
Color: Black

Re: L plates on PCX 125 in UK

Post by PingGam »

GatorGreg wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:
GatorGreg wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the purpose of having this giant scarlet letter on your windshield?
"L" is for Learner permit (or something like that). It is a designation in the UK for riders without a full license. I believe it is needed on cars as well.
Interesting - so is the theory that it's supposed to warn other drivers to be extra careful around them cuz they're a noob and might crash into you if you get too close? :D Or is it to alert the police for some reason?

In Florida we have "Under 21" license plates for motorcycles - I think it's because if your under 21 here you're required to have a helmet so it would help police spot violators.
They have a similar "L" plate system in Australia.
As well as alerting other motorists that the person is a new rider, it is also for the police, as L Platers have restrictions, ie no passengers, lower speed limits, zero blood alchol etc.
Current Scooters
2012 PCX 150 Black
2016 Forza 300 ABS Yellow
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

Mine was clamped to the front fork.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

PingGam wrote:They have a similar "L" plate system in Australia.
As well as alerting other motorists that the person is a new rider, it is also for the police, as L Platers have restrictions, ie no passengers, lower speed limits, zero blood alchol etc.
Thanks for the explanation :)
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Post by gagazman »

Mine is on the forks on the front, thought this was the legal requirement as dealers put them on for me. Never mind. Hopefully not long before I lose the 'loony plates' :lol:
superray
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by superray »

I feel very proud to have not need L plates as I have a full unlimited licence. But at time I feel very broke too to only be able to afford to ride a 125 in the city. Lol
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

superray wrote:I feel very proud to have not need L plates as I have a full unlimited licence. But at time I feel very broke too to only be able to afford to ride a 125 in the city. Lol
Superray ... from this post we can likely assume that you are from the UK, but if you could include your location as a part of your profile, it helps us to be able to respond better if you are ever asking for advice or assistance. Thanks. :)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Post by gagazman »

superray wrote:I feel very proud to have not need L plates as I have a full unlimited licence. But at time I feel very broke too to only be able to afford to ride a 125 in the city. Lol
No shame in that I think. I won't be able to afford anything else so I will keep my PCX as long as possible. I love it anyways! :P