First Ride With Givi Windscreen ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

switta

First Ride With Givi Windscreen ?

Post by switta »

right away i could tell a difference and not sure if i like it ? it kind of creates dirty air right in your face . guess i will give it a bit to see if i get use to it ? just thought i would throw this info out to anyone who may be thinking of getting one . I'm 6' 2" and if i tuck down a little it's nice but i can't ride like that :D
speed tested was around 35 to 40 , have to see what it's like around 50 ?
1971 honda sl70 red
1971 honda sl125 silver
1968 honda s65 black
1979 yamaha gt80 red
1978 honda z50 mini trail
2013 honda PCX red
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: First Ride With Givi Windscreen ?

Post by sendler2112 »

I have one on order if they ever get it for be
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

I have the tallest "riot gear" Givi windscreen. It is not great for those around 5' 7" but best for taller riders. It's helpful during days of wind chill in December but otherwise not the best during the other times of the year.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I have ordered the short Givi and will get it, hopefully, in a few days. The online shop I purchased it from told me they get it on Friday (they had no stock at the moment) and that I should get it on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. I plan on installing it straight away and as soon as I do that I'll let you guys know how I feel about it. I'm 5 ft 9" and weigh 80 kg (that should be like 170 lbs), so after doing quite a bit of research I decided the short Givi should be enough for my height. For taller riders, though, I think there are better options. Ermax and TCP make taller versions that aren't as tall as the tall Givi, and are better suited for XXL riders. You may also have a look at Bullster. They manufacture two models, "GT" and "High Protection". I have considered all these options and have eventually decided on the short Givi, but should I be taller, I would have decided between the Bullster and the TCP (most likely the latter).
Attachments
Bullster High Protection, front view.
Bullster High Protection, front view.
BH152HP.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Tall TCP
Tall TCP
PCX TCP.jpeg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Can't upload more than two photos... :roll: , here's the other ones.
Attachments
GT Bullter, side view
GT Bullter, side view
PICT0568.JPG (521.62 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
GT, Bullster
GT, Bullster
PICT0573.JPG (278.9 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Last but ot least, the side view of the High Protection Bullster:
Attachments
PICT0576.jpg
PICT0576.jpg (254.56 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I really like the tall TCP. I wish it were a bit taller, it looks very nice on the PCX.

I still don't think I could give up my huge Givi though. I have better wind protection by far on my PCX than I even do on my Silverwing because of the huge windshield. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

maddiedog wrote:I really like the tall TCP. I wish it were a bit taller, it looks very nice on the PCX.

I still don't think I could give up my huge Givi though. I have better wind protection by far on my PCX than I even do on my Silverwing because of the huge windshield. :lol:

Problem is, I have been unable to find a "front view" photo of the TCP. Side view is available, front view but from an angle, or a rider's view, but I wanna see how it looks like as if I was standing in front of it, and no way. I have a fear that this TCP is a bit narrow, so I was wondering how it would affect its efficiency at protecting the chest area, and how it would affect the PCX's looks. On the other hand and with my height, the short Givi should be enough, and I like the looks of it. I also ordered the E300B top box and its rack. I opted for the 30 litre box for two reasons. One is that it's big enough to store my girlfriend's helmet whenever she rides along. The other one, it's small enough so she can't throw in a shitload of shopping after she gets her helmet back :lol: .
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I got my short Givi delivered yesterday, together with my E300B top box. Got the windscreen fitted today (Thanks Dave for your how-to ;) ) and the top box's mount as well. Tomorrow morning I'll put the top box in place and make a few photos. I'm a happy man :D .

Impressions. It does get the worst of the wind out of my chest. I didn't feel that it created "dirty air" in my face, but I had my modular helmet's visor down so to be honest, I couldn't tell if it does, in fact, create it. We don't expect rain in the morning tomorrow, so I'll ride visor up and will be able to tell if this actually happens. I'm shorter than the OP so this short Givi suits me well enough, and it's a good balance between protection and aesthetics.
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

I wish I got the shorter screen because my wife constantly gripes about the tall screen that we have and it being difficult to see due to our height being the same as the windscreen. We are both 5' 7". So I removed it and so far it is up for sale on Craigslist due to it being cost prohibitive to ship. Since the PCX is not the bigest seller around here, I doubt I'll get any takers anytime soon.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Could you cut it shorter? Add a rubber surround around the cut part if it doesnt look neat..
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Today I tested it with my visor up. The short Givi is OK for someone my height. If you're taller, perhaps the TCP, Bullster or tall Ermax/Givi are better options.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Yesterday I tested on the highway, on the way to work. Top speed (the usual 107 km per hour) definitely comes quicker. Wind is diverted from my chest pretty well, but at this speed there's a bit more wind noise. I can feel it around my helmet, so it makes sense that the OP feels it on his face.
burgmanfromalcatraz

Post by burgmanfromalcatraz »

scoot9.jpg
scoot9.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
had 2 bikes with the tall givi, first was honda silver wing 600 and a aprilia atlantic 500, Nice Windscreens but when riding and you get much wind especially when a Semi passes , It hard to keep the bike in the lane, My Aprila ( glad its gone traded it off) it had a givi and all so had the stock, I took the givi off and put the stock back on, Made a world of difference, I could ride with out the wind blowing me all over the road, My final keeper bike is a 2008 Burgman 400, Smoothest scoot I have ever rode love it, I put a Sterio on it bullet speakes on the mirrors and it has mp3 play and loud enough for any speeds, I added a JC Whitney top box 37.00 W/ shipping large enough to carry what I need, Givi makes great products but their prices are out of my range,
I ride in a club ages 71 - 89 yrs young, Went or a trip to ride the Dragon Tail, 1200 miles round trip, It was fun, I took along a 2 man tent, Sleeping bag, small cook stove, Cooking pot and pans, Cans of food, hot dogs, hamburger, buns etc, Carried all of this on the back of my seat, Bungi cords held it all in place. We camped at any woods or camp grounds we found along the way, The Burger averaged 65 mpg and we rode 65-70 mph, We are planning another road trip this spring, I was going to add a windsreen section but after giving this more thoughts I changed my mind, I am 6 ft 4 in and I ride wearing a mod helmet and no wind factor to blow me all over the road, Several who ride have Givi windscreens and I watch them when a semi passes and they wobble from the wind, A rider in our club added seat beeds, The cost was around 60.00, I went to Walmart bought set for 8.00 used a cargo net to fasten them and they work excellent , The back rest is off a Isuzu Trooper head rest easy to make, and it sure helps the back on long rides, I ran my seat beeds through the opening and on to the passengeres seat and my sleeping bags covers it and hold it secure,The top pic is my Aprilia Givi Top Box, The one a added on my Burger is all most exactly like it and a lot less money and the mounting brackets came with it and easy to mount, shown in 2nd pic
Happy Hollidays And Ride Safe
aprilia and Burgman pics posted
Attachments
cycle2.jpg
cycle2.jpg (147.64 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
cycle3.jpg
cycle3.jpg (150.22 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
cycle4.jpg
cycle4.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 2598 times