Opinions please???

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Daviebhoy
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Opinions please???

Post by Daviebhoy »

I bought a brand new Honda PCX 125 from the dealer in August last year. Now I'm due to pick it up today as already my break pads have worn down and actually caused my disk damage so that's needing replaced too. I also notice rust on my handlebars...despite the fact I actually keep a cover over the bike. The bloke in the garage reckons it's due to the salt from the gritters getting at it but surely not. Bikes are designed to be on the road and surely this must be factored into the design of the bike. I don't expect my bike to develop rust after just 6 months...especially as I've taken care with it. I'm also surprised that the break pads have gone down so quickly although I accept it's not beyond the imagination that this is just tough luck on my part but the rust....not a chance.

What's your opinions and what would you suggest?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Opinions please???

Post by Mel46 »

You don't have your location but I am thinking you might be in Great Britain. I understand that you have a lot of wet weather there. Your main problem though may be road salt. If you ride on roads with salt on them you run the risk of getting it into everything, including your brakes. No bike manufacturer has to test their product for salt on roads. Due diligence would mean that you should try to rinse your bike off as often as possible if you ride in those conditions. Here in America the affects of road salt can be seen on cars driven in the northern states vs those driven in the southern states, which uses very little salt.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Salt... without it how will the earth ever cleans itself of us. Nothing will stop the rust if you are putting her to bed salty. The tarp might be serving to hold a wet bike wet longer but that's tough in wet climate because well it's always wet. Even stainless steel will rust if covered wet and salty. You are not the first to express this frustration in here from your country. If I were you I would not cover a bike stored outside unless it was totally salt free and dry. Perhaps best to let the fresh rain wash down an uncovered bike at the end of the day and not cover it at all unless stored dry and salt free.

remember you did ask for our opinions :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:( Unfortunately, sadly, it's as simple as that ^^
Sorry Daviebhoy.
On the brightside, we want to welcome you aboard the forums! Glad you joined. Hopefully our opinions our advice and our solutions will help you get her right again.
Do stick around! We have Fun here Too!! :P

Oh wait! Would you please do us a favor and enter your location in your profile. Members were guessing that just now. We want to give you and everyone here the Best advice We can, so Yes....location matters in that equation.
I have easy directions below this post to get this done.
Thank you and good luck getting your scoot up to par again!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Daviebhoy

Post by Daviebhoy »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Was hoping for a 'that's out of order...you should get on to them pronto' but sadly it is what it is lol. Should the brakes really need replaced after just 1700 miles too? Just picked my bike up from having new brakes and a new disk replaced and I'm now £112 lighter for it.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Daviebhoy wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Was hoping for a 'that's out of order...you should get on to them pronto' but sadly it is what it is lol. Should the brakes really need replaced after just 1700 miles too? Just picked my bike up from having new brakes and a new disk replaced and I'm now £112 lighter for it.
Maybe if they have been grinding on a rusty front rotor but that sounds wrong and does not explain the rear drum brake replacement at 1700. However if you got both front and rear brakes serviced with labor for 123.00 usd... you are living well over there.
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014
Color: White

Post by Robert R »

Todays rates 112 pounds UK = $159.26
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I've had my PCX just short of 2 years - stored on the drive covered by a £11 cover 365 days / yr. Not seeing any problems with brakes, handlebars, or exhaust (just the tube leading from engine to rear exhaust box with rust cover but that is normal). I even cover it if I've ridden home in poring rain. I live in London.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

London isn't Glasgow.

Rust on the handlebars will not be covered by warranty unless the corrosion has caused structural weakness.

Rusty discs caused by worn pads will not be covered either.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014

Post by Robert R »

Corrosion is not a constant, there are factors to consider. Exposure to road salts being a biggie. From September through to April in my little corner of paradise. To wash the scoot down thoroughly with cold water once it has cooled after every use is a discipline that is way beyond me :roll: So like most folks in this part of the world I have learned to accept that corrosion is a fact of life. As to rear brake wear, that is the one part I have been regularly flushing with a hose as the dirt that accumulates in/on the calliper is full of the grit from the road salting and I do prefer to ride with working brakes being an aged returnee to powered two wheels. :D
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daviebhoy

Post by Daviebhoy »

homie wrote:

Maybe if they have been grinding on a rusty front rotor but that sounds wrong and does not explain the rear drum brake replacement at 1700. However if you got both front and rear brakes serviced with labor for 123.00 usd... you are living well over there.
No it was just the front brake and disk.
Daviebhoy

Post by Daviebhoy »

iceman wrote:I've had my PCX just short of 2 years - stored on the drive covered by a £11 cover 365 days / yr. Not seeing any problems with brakes, handlebars, or exhaust (just the tube leading from engine to rear exhaust box with rust cover but that is normal). I even cover it if I've ridden home in poring rain. I live in London.

See this is what I was expecting. Someone suggested letting the rain wash it off when the gritters are out & although I have a cover for when I'm at home, but when I'n out or at work the bike is uncovered.
Daviebhoy

Post by Daviebhoy »

gn2 wrote:London isn't Glasgow.

Rust on the handlebars will not be covered by warranty unless the corrosion has caused structural weakness.

To be fair though bud, London isn't that much of a difference to Glasgow in weather comparison...EDL from Aug until Now. I just expect a brand new bike to last longer than 6 months before rusting.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Daviebhoy wrote:

To be fair though bud, London isn't that much of a difference to Glasgow in weather comparison...EDL from Aug until Now. I just expect a brand new bike to last longer than 6 months before rusting.
Quite agree. It's the sort of quality you would expect of a £1000 Chinese scooter not a Honda. Obviously if it's been reasonably looked after and not abused.
I can see the dealer not accepting warranty on the brakes as there a wear and tear item, but the chrome on the bars should last. My bikes nearly 5 years old and the chrome is perfect.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Proof that there is a God aside, they are both part of a teeny island...
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Simon0867 »

I live in Scotland, my PCX has done around 2k miles, I ride all year around and it is parked outside. My brakes are fine and there is no signs of rust in the handlebar area. I'm actually really impressed how well the scoot has stood up to our winter.
I spray all the metal parts with ACF50 and use a waterless wash and wax product on everything else. Seems to have worked for me so far.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Simon0867 wrote:I live in Scotland, my PCX has done around 2k miles, I ride all year around and it is parked outside. My brakes are fine and there is no signs of rust in the handlebar area. I'm actually really impressed how well the scoot has stood up to our winter.
I spray all the metal parts with ACF50 and use a waterless wash and wax product on everything else. Seems to have worked for me so far.
I've not sprayed anything on the bike or used any wax when cleaning - just water on a rag and then dried. I was considering ACF50 but not used any yet. There is plenty of grit and crud thrown onto the engine area and wheels, but such is life. My rims look dirty as I've never cleaned them ever - just the top of the bike and all plastics to the botton - with a small amount of water on a cloth as above.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If I ride in Ohio on salty roads I give the scoot a rinse with a garden sprayer and wipe it down. The Burgman seems to want to collect crud...and is a pain to wash. I use the Honda spray wax -- seems to work OK on the plastics - while not much of the metal is exposed to a clean. New rear pads already at your l mileage seems wrong - but apparently the Forza sometimes has rear brake wear issues, as well. Lightly dragging rear caliper?
Recent wash and ride...Image
Stig
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

are the wheels getting smaller or is that thing getting bigger... that is one big azz honking scooter!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

How long brake pads last is pretty much a function of the owner's style of braking. Do you pump your bkaes--or do you keep them steadily applied until the bike comes to a halt? The former practice will buy you a lot of time between brake jobs.