dropped pcx

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

dropped pcx

Post by dog64bull »

I was riding home from work and it was a little wet out. As I was going through a parking lot, my wheel lost traction or something and I fell off. i was going like 25. the scooter kinda slid on the ground. Is there something im suppose to do whenever I drop my scooter? Everything looks to be alright. Only really small cosmetic scratches.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: dropped pcx

Post by homie »

dog64bull wrote:Is there something im suppose to do whenever I drop my scooter?
First we add you to glorious crash list and then we have a look at the bike. Glad you are OK... way to slide. I trust you had your gear on. Lets see the pictures o_O
dt125
Year: 2010
Color: grey

Post by dt125 »

First let me introduce myselve, I come from the Netherlands and own a 2010 PCX125.

Could the tyres be the reason of the crash? The standard IRC tyres do have a bad reputation in the Netherlands. During rain
these tyres become very smooth.
After seen 2 crashes by on-board cameras I have replaced both tyres by Citygrips, allthough I did not have any bad experience with the IRC tyres myselves.
dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by dog64bull »

dt125 wrote: Could the tyres be the reason of the crash? The standard IRC tyres do have a bad reputation in the Netherlands. During rain
these tyres become very smooth.
After seen 2 crashes by on-board cameras I have replaced both tyres by Citygrips, allthough I did not have any bad experience with the IRC tyres myselves.
It could possibly be the tires lol I have some city grips. I just havent put them on yet.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

dt125 wrote:First let me introduce myselve, I come from the Netherlands ..................
It would be great if you would post your location as a part of your profile. It helps us help you. Thanks
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Never had a problem with IRC's either - they seem to get blamed for all manor of ills. Myself and others have rode on the stock IRC's every day in torrential rain and sub-zero temps 365/yr and had no issues yet others have posted there has been a slight drizzle and they are going very slow and crash due to irc's - it's not the tyres it's how the bike is ridden.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

dog64bull wrote:Is there something im suppose to do whenever I drop my scooter?
Get on up - like a sex machine :D

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

From all of my experience on bikes I have found the IRC tires to be disappointing on wet surfaces. There is no center groove for runoff. My front tire is still a factory tire that came with the bike, while my wife's tires are both City Grips. Her bike had much less of a problem stopping in our accident than mine. I truly believe that if I had put the City Grip on my front it would have stopped in time....but that is my opinion. My wife rode my bike previously and told me that the grip on the front was not as good as hers. We have all sorts of roads here, with many of them having the 'snake' tar all over them, where the road repair was just spotty. Those spots are very slick, but my wife says that her bike could handle them better because of the City Grips. Some people may not agree, but then different types of road conditions in different areas may or may not contribute to problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dt125

Post by dt125 »

@Kramnala58: I have tried to add my location but without success. How can I change or add profile-information?.

Regarding the tyres, same story is in the Dutch forum. Some people have problems with the tyres, some don't.

This was one of the members of the Dutch forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ2u0w1 ... be&t=1m15s

After seeing this and second equivalent video, I have replaced the tyres. One of the tyres did have to be replaced anyway.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Here's "How To" enter your Location (and preferably "right after" You read this )

Where On Earth! Are You?

1) If you're not logged in, Log In
2) Then in the upper right, click "User Control Panel"
3) In the Left Column click "Profile"
4) Bingo! Look to the right. Here you can add/change or remove your profile information. See Location?
5) When you're done "Profiling," click the submit button below (on that screen)
6) Another screen will appear and you'll have the choice to return to the control panel or just click the "Board Index" button (top left).

Thanks to Whitenoise for the guide.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

dt125 wrote:@Kramnala58: I have tried to add my location but without success. How can I change or add profile-information?.
Regarding the tyres, same story is in the Dutch forum. Some people have problems with the tyres, some don't.
This was one of the members of the Dutch forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ2u0w1 ... be&t=1m15s
After seeing this and second equivalent video, I have replaced the tyres. One of the tyres did have to be replaced anyway.
Conditions were not that bad - raining but not heavy rain. Not sure what caused the accident, some suggested heavy use of the front brake. Perhaps too heavy handling of the brakes and relying on the front brake and CBS system too much. I try and go easy on the brakes and use both, and I have had to brake heavily a few times now due to a******** stepping out or cars pulling out. Some have switched from IRC to CG and say they do not notice any difference, others love them. Whatever you feel comfortable with then ride and be happy. I've got about 7500 miles on the clock now and still lots of tread on the rear.
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014

Post by Robert R »

On the youtube video linked by dt125, careful re watching shows the rider ran onto a poured tar strip just as he went down. Easy to blame the tyres but maybe not the cause in this instance.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

White painted turn arrow and braking in wet.
Man down.
Fish
Love my city grips! But still need much care in wet CITY streets.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

fish wrote:White painted turn arrow and braking in wet. Man down.
Ouch! You okay buddy?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I just watched dt125's posted youtube, that Rider was Surprised and so was I by his slide/fall.

Yep the road's wet. Look again....@ segment 1:21, the vid shows an obvious change in the road, (see the perpedicular line?) Would the rider see that? Yeah probably...when he/she were just about ontop of it (and don't forget his wet face screen).
Makes me wonder if a collection of oil formed on the road at that "line" point. Could it be that his tire caught oil Right There...which in turn turned his wheel making it slid out?
And....I'm not sure if the road was even level at that "line" point? :roll:

Just my observation. That 1:21 point may have nothing to do with the accident. Right?
So, back to IRC tire fault? Who will ever know the real answer to that?

It's a Shame it happened, but it was great to see him/her stand up.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Still cannot believe that amount or rain or oil would cause the fall unless the rider braked too hard and locked the front wheel. Learn to brake gently or just go through problem areas and brake afterwards.
dt125

Post by dt125 »

This was the other video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=betssgZ9k_c

More or less the same situation, wet road and using the brakes. It is hard to see what the level of breaking is. A manhole cover is mentioned but I have problems to find the cover in the video. I see a grey part in the road, but the PCX is then already sliding with the frontwheel.

Maybe it is not only the tyres, but a combination of tyres and the scootergeometry. Relatively much weight on the backwheel and less weight on the frontwheel, compairing normal motorcycles.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

dog64bull wrote:I was riding home from work and it was a little wet out. As I was going through a parking lot, my wheel lost traction or something and I fell off. i was going like 25. the scooter kinda slid on the ground. Is there something im suppose to do whenever I drop my scooter? Everything looks to be alright. Only really small cosmetic scratches.
I would check the bearings and suspension, and the front forks and steering head.

There is probably no damage, but it's best to be certain.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)