How bad is residual salt on a dry road?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

How bad is residual salt on a dry road?

Post by zanggerk »

I am thinking about getting my scooter out for the first ride this year tomorrow- temps are expected to be up to 12C (54F). The roads are dry, but we had some ice (and because of that salt) on the road about 3 weeks ago. There was no precipitation since then. So, I expect some remaining salt on the dry road. How bad do you guys think that could be? I wanted to wait for the first rain to get the salt off the road, but because of the mild weather and dry roads I want to start already. What do you think?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How bad is residual salt on a dry road?

Post by fish »

zanggerk wrote:I am thinking about getting my scooter out for the first ride this year tomorrow- temps are expected to be up to 12C (54F). The roads are dry, but we had some ice (and because of that salt) on the road about 3 weeks ago. There was no precipitation since then. So, I expect some remaining salt on the dry road. How bad do you guys think that could be? I wanted to wait for the first rain to get the salt off the road, but because of the mild weather and dry roads I want to start already. What do you think?
I ride under your conditions......then rinse scooter with garden pump sprayer and wipe dry. Causes no problems if you rinse....if you can't. ....wait for a rain..
IMHO
Fish
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I used to worry about salt too. The benefits of riding far out weigh the concerns about salt. Just ride it, enjoy and give her a warm bath over the weekend. You will both be happier for it.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:I used to worry about salt too. The benefits of riding far out weigh the concerns about salt. Just ride it, enjoy and give her a warm bath over the weekend. You will both be happier for it.

Cold bath might be better
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Salt. Shmalt. Scooters don't even have chains. Ride whenever you want.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Might be the equivalent of scooting near the beach and coastal air. How are you beach boys getting on with your nuts, bolts and brackets?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I heard salt is more damaging in warm weather. So if you store your scooter in a cold garage, it's fine. Just do a thorough washing in the spring.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Wow! This topic is reaching a panic stage. Better vacuum seal our PCX's in plastic wrap to make sure we can peer longingly at them through the plastic wrap, unchanged, forever.
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

homie wrote:Might be the equivalent of scooting near the beach and coastal air. How are you beach boys getting on with your nuts, bolts and brackets?
That's what I was wondering, too. When we have salt on the road it is cold and less corrosive, but riding near the beach in warm and humid weather might be worse...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

sendler2112 wrote:Wow! This topic is reaching a panic stage. Better vacuum seal our PCX's in plastic wrap to make sure we can peer longingly at them through the plastic wrap, unchanged, forever.
Come now WN, yours looks like new all the time :)
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

sendler2112 wrote:Wow! This topic is reaching a panic stage. Better vacuum seal our PCX's in plastic wrap to make sure we can peer longingly at them through the plastic wrap, unchanged, forever.
Seriously. All this worrying. Wouldn't even do that for the most expensive car I could afford, much less a scooter worth a couple thou at most. Washed mine once in 2+ years; still looks like new.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Haha, of course I'm here iceman :D

Ya'll are talkin' salt and possible corrosion to our scoots?
Me? You know I like the look of spic n span everything! From garage floors on up! Strictly my business, my choice, my time ;) in fact it takes less time to clean it, the more often you clean it. Make cents? (< I know that was used wrong) :lol:

Soo...yeah, this thread perked me ears a bit. Crazy homie knows I ride the beach areas, they're my favorite scootin' spots. Peace, and serenity. I need that. Salt is in the air everywhere, right? Just loads of it and sand at zee beach(es). Ha! I even found it in my seat pan! and in nooks and crannies. Wipe, pick, vacuum, blow (gentle poof not blast), etc. Oh, and I love q-tips, toothbrushes, art brushes, rubbing alcohol and other goodies found in the home bins. Be creative. Think first. Ok?

Just keep 'em clean however you like and when you like it. Mother Nature might interfere if so, pick another day/month/year :D Just feel good showing off your prized PCX that folks still don't know..."What the Heck was that, that just rode by?" You gotta love that reaction...I do ;) 8)

Now....about that Shrink Wrap sendler, I figure a boat yard is a good place to start and I'm always there, so :P maybe (late) Next Fall I'll swing in and pick up some free wrap remnants, that outta "cover it!" :lol:

Peace Kids and Ride Those Scoots...to the beach or Where Ever. Dirty or clean (please say Clean) :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Interesting article, thanks Embattle
That's an interesting forum name, how'd you come by that one? Sometimes there are interesting stories behind our forum names, so I'm just curious. No need to respond, up to you ;)

While I'm here Embattle, would you please complete your profile by adding your location? It does matter. It helps all of us to help one another when We ask questions, etc. The longer you hang out with us, the more you'll realize how important this info is.

Happy Trails, Ride Safely :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I personally don't care either. Cars don't rust in Vancouver or the rest of the south coast (Victoria, etc.) and it gets pretty humid in the summer.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My Forza lives outside uncovered about 500 yards from the North Sea and gets used on salted roads for several months a year.
Sure its a bit corroded in places but it still runs perfectly well.
Well enough to have done 26,500 miles since October 2013.
Yes that's right folks, I took delivery of it just a few weeks before the roads got salted and I just kept riding it.
Don't think its even ben washed ten times, the rain takes the worst off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

gn2 wrote:My Forza lives outside uncovered about 500 yards from the North Sea and gets used on salted roads for several months a year.
Yes that's right folks, I took delivery of it just a few weeks before the roads got salted and I just kept riding it.
Well that testimonial kind of answers it. Thanks gn2!
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:
gn2 wrote:My Forza lives outside uncovered about 500 yards from the North Sea and gets used on salted roads for several months a year.
Well that testimonial kind of answers it. Thanks gn2!

Well it's ok if you want to ride an anchor. Did you see GN2s pcx before he sold it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Did you see GN2s pcx before he sold it
It passed its MoT last November at 25,500 miles with just one advisory for a deteriorated exhaust mount.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

It all depends on whether your scooter is transportation or toy.