cold start problem

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: cold start problem

Post by j.d.b. »

Smee wrote:Quick update. Fuel injector replaced but a new fault code showed up. Rather than wait an hour for engine to cool down before checking cold start they cleared the fault and said to test it. They did say if still a prob then they'd replace main ecu.

Well, next morning full of hope, press the button.....nope, same. In fact it's worse.. won't idle till warm, very lumpy till warm. Dealer has ordered new ecu so waiting for a phone call. Will update when more news.
So, they're guessing. Let's hope it was a good one!
Smee
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Smee »

Final update.

Ecu replaced, guess what? Yep same. Turns out it was valve clearances, or lack of. So.....those of us who may have neglected to check em cos we've read on net that "dealers dont check em unless summat's wrong" I've learnt my lesson.

Scoot now starts properly and stays started. Wohoo!..Best thing is......mpg is now a steady average of 129.8. Brilliant
. I love this machine. Trying to break the 130 mark (and keeping it there)

So alls well that ends well.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

It is great that itgot solved - thanks for reporting back.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Smee wrote:Final update.
Ecu replaced, guess what? Yep same. Turns out it was valve clearances, or lack of. So.....those of us who may have neglected to check em cos we've read on net that "dealers dont check em unless summat's wrong" I've learnt my lesson. Scoot now starts properly and stays started. Wohoo!..Best thing is......mpg is now a steady average of 129.8. Brilliant . I love this machine. Trying to break the 130 mark (and keeping it there) So alls well that ends well.
To be fare, I believe the general view is if the scoot starts fine (in cold and hot temps), runs fine and gives excellent mpg then it must be in a good way, hence little need to check the valves. Also, I sure it's been stated that starting problems could be a valve clearance issue - and any dealer should have checked that before swapping the ECU. The codes may have led them up the wrong path, but after that they should check the valves for starting or rough idling problems.