New to Scooters

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

keato156
Year: 2015
Color: Black

New to Scooters

Post by keato156 »

Hi Guys,
Thank you for allowing me to join. I have just recently purchased my Honda PCX for commuting to work and back. Great piece of kit very reasonable price. I have read up on maintence and im a bit worried about my bike constantly being outside. I have purchased a waterproof cover will that suffice? Obviously the winter can get really cold
have you got any further tips during winter to maintain it?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New to Scooters

Post by Bash On! »

Welcome!

I have a garage now, but for years had to keep bikes outside. Depending on your setup, if you can, keep the bike on a trickle charger and put fuel stabilizer in the tank if you won't be using it for a few months. Best, though, to run it on a regular basis.

Most importantly, don't worry too much about it. Cold itself won't hurt it. It's a Honda, after all. Besides, some people keep $80,000 luxury cars outside; this is only a $3k scooter we're talking about.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

One thing you don't want to do is go out and try and start the bike and let it idle every now and then. If you're in storage. It does no good , it actually hurts the bike more. You need to take a ride of 15 minutes or so , to get it fully warmed up and burn off the stuff that has settled in the oil. If you are not going to go for a ride, don't start it. And I agree, keep it on the battery maintainer, they are easy to hook up right behind the battery door. If you are below 20 deg F, take the battery out completely and keep it on the maintainer inside.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by honkerman »

Looks like good advice here. Only thing I'd add, when using a cover, try to put the scoot in a place where the wind won't grab it and keep it on the center stand. Scoots are light enough that a good high wind will pull them right over if they're covered. I've had it happen with my kymco.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Simon0867 »

It's worth looking at a product such as Scottoiler which can be sprayed on exposed metal (brakes not included obviously!!) and will help repel water and neutralise road salt.

I intend to ride my PCX all year round (except for ice and snow) and I'm not anticipating any issues. Honda build quality is second to none. The last Honda scoot I had was a Dylan 125cc, it lived outside for much of it's live. One winter was so cold it wasn't used for a month and the cover froze to the bike, still started first time when the thaw came and I never had any mechanical issues with it over 15k miles of use.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Simon0867 wrote:It's worth looking at a product such as Scottoiler which can be sprayed on exposed metal (brakes not included obviously!!) and will help repel water and neutralise road salt.

I intend to ride my PCX all year round (except for ice and snow) and I'm not anticipating any issues. Honda build quality is second to none. The last Honda scoot I had was a Dylan 125cc, it lived outside for much of it's live. One winter was so cold it wasn't used for a month and the cover froze to the bike, still started first time when the thaw came and I never had any mechanical issues with it over 15k miles of use.

Scottoil? A scottoiller is device for lubricating a final drive chain
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Scottoil? A scottoiller is device for lubricating a final drive chain
Indeed it is but Scottoiler (the company) also sells a well known product called FS365 which is a corrosion inhibitor.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:Scottoil? A scottoiller is device for lubricating a final drive chain
Indeed it is but Scottoiler (the company) also sells a well known product called FS365 which is a corrosion inhibitor.

Good to know. I'll need to get me some.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

If you can't find it, a few work just as well as corrosion protection:
Fluid film
Woody wax
CRC-656
A bit weaker but good: WD40
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
keato156
Year: 2015

Post by keato156 »

Great advice. Thank you all for your replies.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ACF 50 if you are going down this route