cigarette lighter plug

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

chet
Year: 2013
Color: red

cigarette lighter plug

Post by chet »

i am curious if my 2013 would handle a cigarette lighter plug connected to the battery and charge my cell phone while riding

Chet
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Re: cigarette lighter plug

Post by j.d.b. »

I don't see why not. If you have a manual you should be able to find the ignition feed you need.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Best add a fuse (new PCX have a 5A fuse) in the line for good measure - just in case. You can get USB style dual outlets for fitting to bikes from ebay - a nice small charging port (faceplate) without the need for cigarette lighter and adapters, should that be more convenient.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Yes. Use an inline fuse. I got this on clearance for $8 at K-mart. It's a five plug requiring a 5 amp fuse. Works great. It came with a lighter plug which I snipped off, then attached the wires in to the battery. Be careful to use connectors that don't require you to unscrew the nuts on the battery the whole way. But yeah, I used mine the whole way from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts and back again.Works fantastic.
Attachments
WP_20150824_004-2.jpg
WP_20150824_004-2.jpg (128.62 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I've installed the dual USB as mentioned by Iceman on my 2012 model. Placed it deep down in the "glovebox" so I can connect fairly long chargers also and sfill close the door. Works like a charm.
As I cbanged my side markers and rear light from the 5w bulbs to LEDs which consume about 1,5w I have connected the USB charger to that swithced circuit and still have a fair margin left with the original fuse.
For the istall you anyway have to remove quite a bit of the tupperware as you can only drill the hole for the socket from the back of the removed glovebox assy. - so connecting the wires to headlight cabling is easy. Removing the steering cover is a bit@ch, make sure you check pictures, videos to educate yerself before attempting to do it. Everything else is a piece of cake.