Riding tips for wet riding

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

moodguru

Riding tips for wet riding

Post by moodguru »

Hello all...

Looking for some advice on wet weather riding.

I've been riding my PCX 125 daily for some time now and have been feeling quite confident riding in most weather conditions. I did however recently have a incident where the rear wheel slid out from beneath me during a slow speed manoeuvre (pulling out from an A road to a B road from a stationary position) and I ended up in the verge on the side of the road. The road condition was very poor at the time as the rain was torrential and there could well have been oil on the road as this was a busy junction.

The incident has however affected my confidence in wet weather conditions and has also got me questioning some slow speed cornering techniques. I was taught that during slow speed manoeuvres a little rear brake along with leaning my body in the opposite direction to the bike often helps to corner in tight areas at slow speeds. This technique has served me well so far but I'm wondering if using this technique in the wet is bad practice, in particular using the rear brake and/or counter leaning my body.

I've read that the stock tyres used on the PCX aren't the greatest in the wet and as soon as I can reasonably change them I'll replace them with the city grips, but I'd still appreciate any tips from more experienced riders for slow manoeuvres on wet roads.

Nice one in advance…
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Riding tips for wet riding

Post by honkerman »

When it rains, especially at a new fall, Oil on the road surface gets supplanted by water, which it then floats upon. This makes the road more slick. Other fun things like leaves add to the excitement of when roads.

The best recomendations are; take your time, don't overcompensate, make small adjustments, wear good rain gear so you don't feel uncomfortable.

See the following conversation: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4943
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
moodguru

Post by moodguru »

Thanks Paul, all sounds sensible good advice!
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Be smooth on the brakes. If you go hard on the front brakes (which transfers the weight to the front of the bike) then go hard on the rear brakes, the rear wheels could easily lock up as they no longer have as much weight on them and skid. I have gone down twice before as a result of locking up my rear brakes, both at slow speeds. I don't know how the combined braking system in the PCX changes things here.

When you get some good wet weather, get yourself in a nice empty parking lot and practice front brake only braking. Progressively get harder and harder (but smooth) on the front brakes until you find that traction threshold. Let go of the brakes when you find you've exceeded that threshold and start to skid, then practice braking right up to that threshold. Once you're use to that threshold point, slowly and smoothly introduce rear brakes.

I would do this everytime it rains after an extended dry period, and also anytime you get a new bike.

Also, what Honkerman said. Oily water is down there with loose gravel and snow in terms of available traction. This is more of an issue if you try to stop or turn in it. After about 15 minutes of steady rain, the oil is typically carried away to the drains.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Lead with the rear brake in slippery conditions, always use both brake levers.
Absolutely do not use front only in the wet, it is completely the wrong thing to do.
A locked rear wheel is far easier to recover from than a locked front.
Ride to the road conditions, anticipate well in advance, ideally aim to not have to use the brakes at all.
And get a scooter with ABS.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:Lead with the rear brake in slippery conditions, always use both brake levers.
Absolutely do not use front only in the wet, it is completely the wrong thing to do.
A locked rear wheel is far easier to recover from than a locked front.
Ride to the road conditions, anticipate well in advance, ideally aim to not have to use the brakes at all.
And get a scooter with ABS.
Personally, I tend to drive my car when it rains if I can. I've ridden in the rain enough to know what it's like, but I'd much rather be in a cage in the rain.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Ride slow, don't do anything suddenly. (think tightrope walking)
If possible wait, don't ride at all.
This assume commuting 'cos no one would ride in the rain for fun? So learn the route and avoid manhole covers, white lines etc. places with lower grip. Do not ride in the centre of the lane where all the oil drips from other vehicles.
GN2 will be right as he lives in Scotland :P
He'll start a thread soon asking for tips for riding when the sun is shining. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

waspmike wrote:This assume commuting 'cos no one would ride in the rain for fun?
I do.
But rain doesn't happen all that often here in NE Scotland, about the same annual rainfall as Morocco.
waspmike wrote:So learn the route and avoid manhole covers, white lines etc. places with lower grip. Do not ride in the centre of the lane where all the oil drips from other vehicles.
And pay particular attention at stop lines, give-ways, junctions, roundabouts, bus stops and the like where large vehicles brake to a stop or turn sharply.
waspmike wrote:GN2 will be right as he lives in Scotland :P
Correct, but there's other reasons why I'm right too.
waspmike wrote:He'll start a thread soon asking for tips for riding when the sun is shining. :lol:
No need, the sun shines most days here.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

When's the last time you locked up your front tires? I think the only time I've managed to lock up the front wheels was in snow.

It rains like 200 days a year in Vancouver. I know rain. End of discussion.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

^ :lol:

If you can see the mountains it is going to rain. If you can't see the mountains it is already raining :o

What do Surrey girls use for protecting during sex. A bus shelter. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Try to enjoy it. If you find out tell me how
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"The road condition was very poor at the time as the rain was torrential ..."

There's no harm in waiting until weather conditions improve. You don't loose any "points" for choosing not to ride in bad conditions.

Like honkerman, I'll take alternate transportation if conditions are bad. Keep in mind that not only do you have less visibility and traction in rain, you're less visible to other drivers, and they have less traction, too.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
moodguru

Post by moodguru »

Many thanks for all the good advice... I'll get practicing on a wet car park when I get a moment.

I live in Wales, so it rains a lot here!! so it shouldn't take long to get the opportunity to put in some practice. And I agree with the advice to seek alternative transport where possible. I do have a full car licence but only have limited access to the car so the PCX is my main form of transport for commuting to work. I also want to feel safer when riding in wet conditions as the weather can change pretty rapidly here.
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Seph »

Only tip is go bloody careful. I crashed due to rain/oil 48 hours into owning my PCX.
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

moodguru wrote:leaning my body in the opposite direction to the bike often helps to corner in tight areas
I would say this is incorrect for going around a corner in the rain. If anything, you will want to shift your torso to the inside of the corner. Like a racer. But not as extreme. This make the bike require less lean angle of it's own which improves grip and retains more margin to recover a slide. I live where it is rainy also and ride rain or shine as long as there is no ice on the road.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

sendler2112 wrote:
moodguru wrote:leaning my body in the opposite direction to the bike often helps to corner in tight areas
I would say this is incorrect for going around a corner in the rain. If anything, you will want to shift your torso to the inside of the corner. Like a racer. But not as extreme. This make the bike require less lean angle of it's own which improves grip and retains more margin to recover a slide. I live where it is rainy also and ride rain or shine as long as there is no ice on the road.
I thought you were never supposed to lean opposite to the lean of the bike - the bike is trying to be upright all by itself (physics) and there comes a point where you help the bike topple in the direction you are leaning - the wrong one.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

iceman wrote:I thought you were never supposed to lean opposite to the lean of the bike .
They teach an opposite body lean technique for giant dual sport bikes at parking lot speeds of less than 5mph.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

sendler2112 wrote:
iceman wrote:I thought you were never supposed to lean opposite to the lean of the bike .
They teach an opposite body lean technique for giant dual sport bikes at parking lot speeds of less than 5mph.
Less than 5mph! (I can free-wheel at speeds like that with no issue, but the bike is upright. I would not expect any 2 wheeled vehicle or push bike to cope too well leaning at low speeds like that).
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Actually more of a trail riding technique where you are standing on a dual sport bike and forcing it around tight corners by digging your knee into the outside of the tank to lean only the bike.
This has bothing to do with normal street riding on a motorcycle where shifting your weight to the inside of the turn when it is slippery gives you more margin for safety.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

sendler2112 wrote:Actually more of a trail riding technique where you are standing on a dual sport bike and forcing it around tight corners by digging your knee into the outside of the tank to lean only the bike.
This has bothing to do with normal street riding on a motorcycle where shifting your weight to the inside of the turn when it is slippery gives you more margin for safety.

All of this stuff is counter-intuitive at first. Once one has been riding for a while though, it becomes second nature.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube