Loving my Ram X-mount

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Loving my Ram X-mount

Post by honkerman »

Picked it up the other day. Works great. Have had the scoot on the highway using the GPS at 67mph, not a bit of slippage. Held onto my phone perfectly. Even on bumpy roads, it doesn't lose its grip. You're welcome to read the full review, complete with a scenic ride through Lancaster County PA (Amish country).

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2015/09 ... ip-iv.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Loving my Ram X-mount

Post by tbln930 »

Almost went with one but they hit the Galaxy S6 right on the buttons so you need another case on the phone which I don't prefer. I can see the wave from the camera sensor vibration in the video but it isn't too bad. Why is it not in HD? I use a Mobius and still found a chest mount the best using the body as the dampener. With all of the crazies out there I am now running the camera in a loop at all times to catch the nuts and am mounting it with a quadcopter dampener which helps some. For my smartphone I use a $25 mount from Best Buy that does a great job and surrounds the entire edge of the phone. It is all plastic but seems sturdy enough. I have one of them on all three of my bikes. I spent over 6 months working out the camera situation to get the best HD video. It was a ton of T&E. At this point I could probably just use the S6 to do videos.

Here is one. Be sure to set it to 1080P. I still get some pixilation on close trees, etc..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujp3um ... e=youtu.be
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

tbln930 wrote:Almost went with one but they hit the Galaxy S6 right on the buttons so you need another case on the phone which I don't prefer. I can see the wave from the camera sensor vibration in the video but it isn't too bad. Why is it not in HD? I use a Mobius and still found a chest mount the best using the body as the dampener. With all of the crazies out there I am now running the camera in a loop at all times to catch the nuts and am mounting it with a quadcopter dampener which helps some. For my smartphone I use a $25 mount from Best Buy that does a great job and surrounds the entire edge of the phone. It is all plastic but seems sturdy enough. I have one of them on all three of my bikes. I spent over 6 months working out the camera situation to get the best HD video. It was a ton of T&E. At this point I could probably just use the S6 to do videos.

Here is one. Be sure to set it to 1080P. I still get some pixilation on close trees, etc..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujp3um ... e=youtu.be
The phone recorded in 1080p, but the video editor saved it for Youtube as lower quality. I think I may re-upload it as a higher quality vid.

For mine, I had to put the phone a bit off center to avoid the grip mashing the volume buttons, but it holds fine.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I haven’t tried to set ours up as a camera, since there is a lot of vibration when we ride the back country roads. However, when my wife needs to recharge her new Samsung phone we just attach it to the Ram mount and run a charge cable to my power outlet. The standard X grip works well for that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Just got an email advertising a safety strap that goes on the RAM mount - Texel Webgrip

http://www.gpscity.com/texel-webgrip-black.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... r-IapXetT0
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

hmmm...safety strap seems like a good idea..

I uploaded an HD version of the video. Main reason I didn't do that before is, Youtube used to have size limits on videos that were pretty restrictive...Didn't realize I could.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Hmmm...I have never seen a strap like that. It might be a good idea. For those who can't afford one or don't want to spend the money, I guess you could use a big rubber band. I haven't found a need to add extra protection though. The rubber on the "arms" hold my phone solidly in place. Still, if you feel insecure, that strap is cheap enough.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I've used the X-grip mount for close to 1,000 miles now. Haven't seen the phone slip once. safety strap doesn't seem necessary.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube