Oil change light ?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Oil change light ?

Post by davenowherejones »

My 2014 Honda Forza has about 12, 340 km on it now. When should I expect the oil change light to come on?

I thought it would come on at 12,000 km but maybe it is 12,600 km or is it 12,000 km from whenever it was last reset?

The bike is going into storage on Monday. The insurance runs out and I still have insurance on my DR650.

Should I do the oil change before it goes into storage or do I do it next year when it comes out the deep freeze?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Oil change light ?

Post by gn2 »

It comes on at the mileage it was programmed to when last reset.
Normally that will be the distance to the next service.
If it wuz me, I would change the oil now and also when it comes out of storage.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Well I got to 12946 km and the oil change light never came on.

I rode a whole bunch of km's in the rain before the insurance ran out. The Forza seems to have no problems handling the rain even with my mix of tires. Original ScootSmart on the front and a new Michelin CityGrip on the back. I just checked, I have 3127 km on that CityGrip already. How did that happen? Having too much fun.

The DR650 seemed really strange for the first few km's and then all the muscle memory came back. It now seems normal. I have the Forza handlebar tilted down in the back for my short arms but the DR seems like I am grabbing a really big tree with its wide bars. The bigger wheels handle the railway tracks so much better.

It gets icy here from December to February. I'll ride the DR to December but come March the Forza will ride again. The DR might get sold and replaced with a much lighter XT250. Or if I win the Lottery, a KTM 350 EXC-F.

Its sunny with huge rain clouds approaching up the valley. Gotta take the dog for a walk.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:It comes on at the mileage it was programmed to when last reset.

Why when it gets out of storage too?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

davenowherejones wrote:My 2014 Honda Forza has about 12, 340 km on it now. When should I expect the oil change light to come on?

I thought it would come on at 12,000 km but maybe it is 12,600 km or is it 12,000 km from whenever it was last reset?

The bike is going into storage on Monday. The insurance runs out and I still have insurance on my DR650.

Should I do the oil change before it goes into storage or do I do it next year when it comes out the deep freeze?
It's the service intervals isn't it? 8,000- miles.

I plan on changing mine a couple of times between each service additionally. Because it's cheap and easy, and I'm like that.
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:It comes on at the mileage it was programmed to when last reset.

Why when it gets out of storage too?
Curious as well, always thought a change at the end of the season before putting it away made sense - why dump the fresh oil when you bring it out of storage?