windows 10... fail

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

windows 10... fail

Post by homie »

Windows 10 is the next format as you know by now. Upgrading is an option that requires you submit your request and wait for your copy to be available for download. This can take weeks and when it finally is your turn you are suppose to be able to take the upgrade. However my experience so far with several computers currently running Win7 is that all you see for hours is this 'get windows 10' popup that says working on it. This goes on for 24 hours now as my latest attempt to install on a desktop. About to give up once again. The idea of installing windows 10 as being something good is wearing thin.

How is this going for you people?
Attachments
win10.jpg
win10.jpg (160.58 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: windows 10... fail

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Tried it, and went back to Windows 7 for a variety of reasons. Done the same with my partners computer.
aka DrewJW
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I installed 10 and am in 2 minds wether to go back to 7 or give it a few weeks to see if I get to like it.
I don't use my laptop that much anyway, as I have an iPad that I use all the time.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Did you's two experience the spinning "working on it" window? because I'm losing faith that its working on anything after 13 hours.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Dont' bother - many tried it and quite liked it except it's got loads of bugs. Always best to wait for 1 or 2 service packs or let 6 months go by to see what issues arise.
Maybe you have a firewall problem or such tha tis blocking the upgrade?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:Dont' bother - many tried it and quite liked it except it's got loads of bugs. Always best to wait for 1 or 2 service packs or let 6 months go by to see what issues arise.
Maybe you have a firewall problem or such tha tis blocking the upgrade?
Sounds like good advice, mostly just wanted to see Win10 but its going on 16 hours of waiting so screw it i'm out.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

I got a direct download instead of waiting for the invite but it still took 3 or 4 hrs to download and install. My laptop is probably about 3 years old though.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The last version of Windows I used ws Xp.
Haven't used it as my main OS since 2006 and I have been Linux only since 2008.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I had similar problems downloading, went on the forums and found a workaround. Downloaded and installed it, lost my sound, persevered for two days and gave up. I'll wait for the major bugs to be fixed before I try again.

I also run a Mac with beta software and don't have any problems.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have Windows 7 on the HTPC I built and I am quite happy with it, though Microsoft slipped an icon on my desktop that says 'Get Windows 10'. What if i don't want to??!! I have 5 computers in my house. Only one of them is Windows now. I turned my Dell computer into a Linux machine about a year ago. Otherwise, i have switched to Apple. At least they are dependable. Even when Microsoft first started we hacked the operating system and ran other operating systems either instead of or as a dual boot. I can remember when we were finally able to run Unix on that system. We dumped Dos. Unfortunately, the most popular programs all run in Windows, so we can't get completely away from it....though I am running a lot of my Windows program through Linux. ....but I am a Computer Engineer. (Was?? I am retired now.) This is normal stuff for me.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

For those of you being annoyed by the "get windows 10" ad look here. simple fix. really!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-R ... 2872.shtml

Look in the "installed updates" list and remove this one: KB3035583. When you next do a monthly update, de-select it and switch it to "hide this update". It won't bother you, anymore.
As with many things new and complex, it's good to stay a bit behind the "curve".
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

j.d.b. wrote:For those of you being annoyed by the "get windows 10"

Look in the "installed updates" list and remove this one: KB3035583. When you next do a monthly update, de-select it and switch it to "hide this update". It won't bother you, anymore.
As with many things new and complex, it's good to stay a bit behind the "curve".
I had done this already on my business comps and LT's but eventually they will stop servicing win7 as they have XP. Sooner or later we will have to deal with win10 unless you want to live outside the loop and I find that more problematic when everyone in my circles do things in windows based systems. Until I actually have mac and Linux OS people around me I don't see that at a reasonable option. Can't say I know even one contact that uses an alternative operating system and that at least keeps things compatible.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Of course they'll force the move, eventually. I'll switch as necessary. Enterprise holds them back (thankfully).
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Windows 7 is supposed to be supported to 2020 currently. Windows 8.1 probably much longer. Plenty of time for Windows 10 to mature.
aka DrewJW
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

I just like new stuff. I've got ios 9 beta on my IPad. It's quite good.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

DrewJW wrote:Windows 7 is supposed to be supported to 2020 currently. Windows 8.1 probably much longer. Plenty of time for Windows 10 to mature.
Superseded by Windows xx by then :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I will probably get rid of that extra icon eventually. I only turn on my Windows computer when I absolutely can not do something on my other computers or my tablets. It doesn't get much use. Too bad. I built that machine specifically as a Home Theater PC. However, my TV has a usb port or two and so I can plug my movie hard drives directly into the TV now to watch them. When i want to connect to the internet for Netflix or Hulu, my Blueray players have them built in. About the only time it really comes in handy is when I want to pull up a movie series directly from the main website. The tv is a 46 inch one, so we can just do full screen and watch the movie. As for email, etc., that is why we have tablets.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

I must be one of the lucky ones. Upgraded fron win8 to win8.1 long time ago. Got my notification to upgrade to win10. Said ok and in a matter of a very few min I was upgraded and everything is working just fine.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

stryder123 wrote:I must be one of the lucky ones. Upgraded from win8 to win8.1 long time ago. Got my notification to upgrade to win10. Said ok and in a matter of a very few min I was upgraded and everything is working just fine.
Oh I kicked win8 to the curb right after its release not for bugs but for difficult learning curve. PLEASE TELL ME win10 dose not resemble anything like win8 or I will milk win7 for years :lol: I will be the last man out the door turning off the lights with windows 7 long after they discontinue security updates because DAHAN! Windows 8 sucked.
Attachments
mac3.jpg
mac3.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh no, I'm not even going there on 10. No, not!
Okay, so I tried just last week thinking this will only take ahh...maybe an hour? Ha! I got the perpetual "working on it" circle. Yeah okay, they lied! I made dinner ate cleaned up returned and the screen now read "your computer is running unusually slow" (not to mention very Hot!)
Well after 90 minutes of that poop, I brought up task manager and ended it. I know...bad. Then shut down. Good riddance (sp wrong?) Then went to bed on the angry side. You figure that out. Bottom line, just "Let it Be" if it ain't broke don't be fixing it!
Cheers Geeks! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You