Disc lock alarm recommendations ??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: White

Disc lock alarm recommendations ??

Post by Simon0867 »

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had any disc lock alarm recommendations ?
I'd quite like to get one (either that or a padlock with built in alarm) but some of the reviews are putting me off as they seem to have sensitivity issues. Some alarms seem to go off over next to nothing and as I don't especially want hoards of sleep deprived neighbours banging on my door, I'd rather have something that only triggers over a more substantial movement.

Any advice eould be much appreciated.
Mario
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Re: Disc lock alarm recommendations ??

Post by Mario »

I have a Abus ART4 disc lock with alarm and it's working perfectly, but I had to drill out 4 holes to 15, 5mm on my Forza.

May the Forza be with you!!
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Simon0867 »

Thanks, never thought of drilling the disc to allow for a bigger lock. Can I ask, did you drill 4 holes just for ease of use or is it to do with wheel or brake balance?
Thanks again
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

Before I got my Forza the dealer drilled one hole to 14mm, but mounting was difficult because you have a leaning approach with this lock and most of the time I had to turn the front wheel to reach the bigger hole, no problem with the balance though, I bought a 15,5mm drill and dismantled the disc to make 4 appositive holes, now its working perfectly :) but drilling the very hard steel disc isn't easy and you need a low speed Pillar Drilling Machine (best with liquid cooling)

Btw, the lock is an Abus Granit Detecto 8077
May the Forza be with you!!
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Simon0867 »

Thanks. I don't have access to that kind of equipment so it's probably a non-starter.
You can get Abus alarmed disc locks with 5mm pins, but again the reviews suggest they are hyper sensitive which I just don't want.
Will just have to keep searching.
All the best.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Don't get a disc lock with an alarm then?

If you're twitchy, you could get a dedicated alarm system like the Scorpio i900 system, which you can adjust sensitivity on or simply silence the alarm and only set off the remote fob.

Disc lock in front and a mini Kryptonite New York Lock around the rear wheel should suffice.
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Simon0867 »

Thanks, not familiar with Kryptonite locks but will check them out.

A built in alarm is another good idea, I'm sure my technical skills would extend to that. What's the situation with power draw on the bikes battery. If I was to leave the bike parked up for several days with the alarm switched on (ie: for holidays, or bad winter weather) would it cause any issues when it came to starting up ??

Thanks again for the advice, all much appreciated.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

2 weeks should be fine in my experience. Longer than that, and I would take one day to bring the battery in and charge it. Kryptonite is an American brand. I would say it's a good sign that you don't know about it, as foreign brands are going to be better than locally available brand of locks simply because thieves are less likely to be familiar with it.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/krypton ... ork-u-lock

The 18mm thickness means it can't be bolt cropped as most bolt croppers don't open up that wide.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Like the kryptonite, you can get chains that are guaranteed not croppable except by using hydraulic cutters and are lighter than other chains - cost about £200 but perhaps worth it if you have to leave it in dodgy areas.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I used a Xena alarmed lock for a bit. It worked great and never gave me a problem. I stopped bothering though, because in my area I felt the risk of me damaging it from forgetting the lock was greater than the risk of theft. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I don't understand how that's even possible given that the alarm should go off if you sit on it and try to get going.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Valiant wrote:I don't understand how that's even possible given that the alarm should go off if you sit on it and try to get going.
I read maddiedog's post as saying it never went off for no reason (which was the original query) - and I guess no one tried to take the bike as he says he took it off as he felt it was not needed. I have the same lock purchased around the time I bought my PCX and I have one of those stretch reminder things - but I have never used either. Bit of a waste but I do not park on the street and only parked at a supermarket once (took my chain with me).