2015 PCX 150. Should I buy?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sqwalker
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: White

2015 PCX 150. Should I buy?

Post by sqwalker »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I currently have a 2012 SYM HD200 with 2700 miles. I'm thinking of selling it for a new 2015 PCX 150, as I've had some reliability issues with the SYM - although normally these scooters are known to be highly reliable, so I'm chalking it up as being unlucky.

I haven't had a chance to drive a PCX yet (as dealers don't let you test drive), but wanted to see what people's thoughts are between the two or how they are liking their PCX compared to other scooters they have driven.

I have a chance to purchase a 2015 PCX 150 with only 250 miles for $3,000 OTD.

Thoughts?

Thanks you.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: 2015 PCX 150. Should I buy?

Post by you you »

sqwalker wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I currently have a 2012 SYM HD200 with 2700 miles. I'm thinking of selling it for a new 2015 PCX 150, as I've had some reliability issues with the SYM - although normally these scooters are known to be highly reliable, so I'm chalking it up as being unlucky.

I haven't had a chance to drive a PCX yet (as dealers don't let you test drive), but wanted to see what people's thoughts are between the two or how they are liking their PCX compared to other scooters they have driven.

I have a chance to purchase a 2015 PCX 150 with only 250 miles for $3,000 OTD.

Thoughts?

Thanks you.
Well it's up to you

Thoughts?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

you you wrote:
Well it's up to you

Thoughts?
That's right, unless you you is paying for it.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:
you you wrote:
Well it's up to you

Thoughts?
That's right, unless you you is paying for it.

Nowt is going to happen is it?

Just bumping the keyboard
sqwalker

Post by sqwalker »

Alright, I guess I should have rephrased my heading.

For thoughts, I think it's a good deal, but obviously would love to hear what other's say in comparison to the performance and reliability of other 125/150/200 cc's they have ridden. As a plus, it does look like Honda parts are overall cheaper to purchase, larger parts supply, service dealers, etc..

I did read a thread on here regarding the 2013's having some annoying rattles (coming from the engine?). Hopefully this has been eliminated on the 2015's.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

If you put your location in your profile for us we might have a better feel for cost of new verse used. In my area I think a new PCX would be 3700.00 for current model and any of last years would be negotiable as I see them on the dealer floor looking very needy of a buyer. That being said 3k for a PCX in my town with 250 miles and unknown issues without warranty places me firmly in the (no go) vote.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You can keep your Sym for free or spend $3000 for something that isn't significantly better.
Up to you really.
Reliability issues could be down to sheer lack of use, 2700 miles in three years just isn't enough to keep it feeling wanted.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If I were you, as much as I love my pcx 150, I would keep the SYM. Here are the reasons. First of all a 200 cc engine is what just about every pcx owner wants, and that is the reason for many of our engine mods. Secondly, SYM by and large has a good reputation, though it has a lack of authorized repair shops. That is a problem that may get them in the long run, but right now I think most shops can work on them. And third, you only have 2700 miles on it. It has hardly been broken in yet. Yes, there are going to be some break in issues. Most bikes have them. I think yours will be taken care of eventually and you should have smooth riding after that.

on the subject of
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was going to mention the differences between the pre 2015 pcx and 2015 version but I will let others discuss them. To me there isn't much difference in their performance.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sqwalker

Post by sqwalker »

I think I am going to keep my SYM for now. Thank you for the advice.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

Have you considered a motorcycle? The 250cc starter bikes can often be found for cheap on craigslist. I think maintenance wise they might be simpler if only because there are more mechanics familiar with them than there are those who know how to work on a maxi-scooter. That to me is a big thing, as even my Honda dealer asked me if I ordered all the proper parts when I tried to get an aftermarket variator installed. If not that then it's hearing that there's only 1 guy who works on scooters and he's off today, so please come back in a couple of days <_<
sqwalker

Post by sqwalker »

Well, after having my SYM fixed by the scooter shop, as I was driving it home it started hesitating and sputtering again. That's it, I had enough. Drove it straight to the Honda dealer and purchased the 2015 PCX 150. I guess that's how you make a decision.

Oh yeah, I love the PCX. :)
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:You can keep your Sym for free or spend $3000 for something that isn't significantly better.
Up to you really.
Reliability issues could be down to sheer lack of use, 2700 miles in three years just isn't enough to keep it feeling wanted.
And that's the experience right there talking..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

Ouch. That sounds rather unusual as SYM is Taiwanese made, which I would still rank above Chinese GY6 mass produced turds.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sqwalker wrote:Well, after having my SYM fixed by the scooter shop, as I was driving it home it started hesitating and sputtering again. That's it, I had enough. Drove it straight to the Honda dealer and purchased the 2015 PCX 150. I guess that's how you make a decision.

Oh yeah, I love the PCX. :)
Difference between crap sym and Pcx is quite big in every way..I'm sure you'll enjoy your Honda..
sqwalker

Post by sqwalker »

The SYM HD 200 is normally regarded as a pretty reliable scooter, so I chalk it up that I just happen to get a bad one, which I know can happen with any manufacturer.

Anyway, I'm moving on with my now new 2015 PCX 150. Yes, the SYM HD 200 is faster (~10mph), a little quicker off the line, appears to handle bumps better (larger tires), but the PCX gets better mileage (20+ MPG), looks cooler (mere opinion), more maneuverable (really amazing!), cheaper and larger parts supply and servicing, and is about as reliable as one can expect (knock on wood).

This will now be my 4th scooter I've owned over the years going from a Kymco Super 9, Genuine Blur, SYM HD 200, and now the PCX. The maneuverability of the PCX scooter is truly incredible. It makes for a fun driving experience that's for sure.

So in the end, I'm okay with giving up some top speed and slight acceleration for the PCX.