Rear Shocks

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by Jge64 »

I agree and have ordered the YSS as well, mostly as i want an adjustable preload and better looks. In the grand scheme of things, its an inexpensive and easy mod.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Totally happy with my YSS shocks, then again I don't ask a lot of them. Only needed to adjust them once.

May have to adjust them again soon as I'm losing weight, and that's where having the ability to adjust them comes in handy.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

JohnL wrote:Totally happy with my YSS shocks, then again I don't ask a lot of them. Only needed to adjust them once.

May have to adjust them again soon as I'm losing weight, and that's where having the ability to adjust them comes in handy.
May I ask what setting you have them on and what your weight is?

I am 225 and expect no passengers, just me, what would you suggest?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

vamootsman wrote:
you you wrote:What are both of you doing to the front end to avoid a mismatch?

Never understood fiddling with the rear suspension. It's the front end that that does all the work and is the most easily improved. Fork oil and 2ps

The rear gives much more jarring hits on my bike than the fork, so starting there. I haven't seen any negative comments from on performance of aftermarket shocks, other than from members who haven't tried them telling others they're a waste. I'll spend my money and If I'm wrong, I'll just have cool looking rear end. ;)

As far as the fork, changing the oil visc. could improve things if possible, but everything I've read on this forum says the the forks are non adjustable, so not sure what you mean by 2ps. psi? If so, how do you do that on a fork with no air valve?

Did you leave the Universe? Would like to know what you mean by 2ps? Also, have you experimented with Fork oil viscosity? If so what worked for you?
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

vamootsman wrote:
vamootsman wrote:
you you wrote:What are both of you doing to the front end to avoid a mismatch?

Never understood fiddling with the rear suspension. It's the front end that that does all the work and is the most easily improved. Fork oil and 2ps

The rear gives much more jarring hits on my bike than the fork, so starting there. I haven't seen any negative comments from on performance of aftermarket shocks, other than from members who haven't tried them telling others they're a waste. I'll spend my money and If I'm wrong, I'll just have cool looking rear end. ;)

As far as the fork, changing the oil visc. could improve things if possible, but everything I've read on this forum says the the forks are non adjustable, so not sure what you mean by 2ps. psi? If so, how do you do that on a fork with no air valve?

Did you leave the Universe? Would like to know what you mean by 2ps? Also, have you experimented with Fork oil viscosity? If so what worked for you?

2p coins and thicker fork oil. Generally works a treat. The coins are just spacers and sit on top of the fork springs.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Rear Shocks

Post by Alibally »

If you want 2 pence coins someone's selling them on eBay for £2.47. Good luck other that one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/rare-2p-coin
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:If you want 2 pence coins someone's selling them on eBay for £2.47. Good luck other that one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/rare-2p-coin

Given that we have had four generations to pay off our war debt that seems fair enough.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

After a bit of time and clarification, I will be receiving a newer version of the G euro, with a weight range of 70kg to 110kg. No price increase. In about 2 weeks my scoot will have new tires, new shocks, new seat!
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

Jge64 wrote:
JohnL wrote:Totally happy with my YSS shocks, then again I don't ask a lot of them. Only needed to adjust them once.

I honestly don't know what setting they are on. We fitted them, took a test ride and adjusted them about two turns for a slightly softer ride.

I weighed 198 pounds when I fitted them, now weigh 184 and will probably adjust them again when I get down to 175 pounds.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

JohnL wrote:
Jge64 wrote:

I honestly don't know what setting they are on. We fitted them, took a test ride and adjusted them about two turns for a slightly softer ride.

I weighed 198 pounds when I fitted them, now weigh 184 and will probably adjust them again when I get down to 175 pounds.
Do you have the XL or the XXL spring rate version?
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

Not sure, can't find the original box. I bought them from powerbyPCX in October last year, they only stocked one type.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I have installed my YSS shocks the other day. Bought the XL 70-90kg ones. I went for a test drive seeking manhole covers that previouly made my teeth rattle on the stock shocks. Quite a difference in the comfort of the ride. A bit stiff, so now I am going to loosen them up a bit to compare. Overall I am pleased. Wil be really great for when I am 2up or packing a load.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
ThailandPCX
Color: matte silver

Post by ThailandPCX »

I am reading all the posts here... and I am thinking the exact same... the weak point in riding Comfort is the "Front Shocks".... or at least I know when I hit a bump... it sends a shock wave up my arms and makes my head move and on a long drive causes discomfort to my neck and shoulder muscles....

Now changing the rear shocks (only)... WHY..??? YSS World Class in "Racing".... and OHLINS.... and you can do all the damping you want... makes a stiffer ride - harder ride with "Less" comfort... and all the "recoil"... how fast your rear wheel gets back on the pavement... Really.... Anybody taking their PCX150 to a road race...??? or at least make a $1,000 US Dollar... really makes sense....???

Now, if you are racing on the streets.... whether illegal or not... and a stiffer rear shock gives better handing control in the tight turns.... so, you loose comfort long a long ride on a smooth highway... when you really want or need a soft ride.... maybe you are going to fast... and ready need to slow down anyway...
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

ThailandPCX wrote:I am reading all the posts here... and I am thinking the exact same... the weak point in riding Comfort is the "Front Shocks".... or at least I know when I hit a bump... it sends a shock wave up my arms and makes my head move and on a long drive causes discomfort to my neck and shoulder muscles....

Now changing the rear shocks (only)... WHY..??? YSS World Class in "Racing".... and OHLINS.... and you can do all the damping you want... makes a stiffer ride - harder ride with "Less" comfort... and all the "recoil"... how fast your rear wheel gets back on the pavement... Really.... Anybody taking their PCX150 to a road race...??? or at least make a $1,000 US Dollar... really makes sense....???

Now, if you are racing on the streets.... whether illegal or not... and a stiffer rear shock gives better handing control in the tight turns.... so, you loose comfort long a long ride on a smooth highway... when you really want or need a soft ride.... maybe you are going to fast... and ready need to slow down anyway...
Who said stiffer? do you know what damping means in regards to suspension tech? Mountain bikes have better stock suspension than the PCX, and alot has to do with damping. Those of us who are trying different options are doing it our own expense to see if there are any iprovements. If not, Oh well and we'll say so. If it's better, than lucky you! You can at least go into it, knowing that there's an improvement, and you didn't have to do your own R and D.

BTW, I would love an improved "front end" also, but it's not much of an option at this point. When the options are better, I will spend my money again, and you can benefit for nothing, as usual.

Add something to productive to the conversation, backed with experience and personally gained knowlege, or, STFU!
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I like my shocks, they were worth every penny.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

My shocks have arrived! New model with the piggy back Res on the top. Can't wait to put them on, but too busy for anything but getting from point a to b. Have new shocks, new tires and new seat. Need more time!
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

I'm lost in regard to the XL vs. XXL thing. Biggest concern is bottoming out and shocking my spine, so I will compromise perfect 'stiffness' to retain health of my vertebrae.

Even though I am 210-220 lbs, will the XL be softer for my back?
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

I was told they no longer make the XXL Shock, and that the spring in the new XL versions covers a wider weight range that overlaps the old XL and XXL version.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

ThailandPCX wrote:I am reading all the posts here... and I am thinking the exact same... the weak point in riding Comfort is the "Front Shocks".... or at least I know when I hit a bump... it sends a shock wave up my arms and makes my head move and on a long drive causes discomfort to my neck and shoulder muscles....

Hm, no...25, 35, 45, 55 hitting a multitude of cracks and bumps when going the speed limit or 10 mph slower. Still too much jolt to maintain relaxed grip. So, it's more you get jolted for one, and then the successive jolts cause more reactive gripping than advisable.

I'd rather get seasick bobbing up and down than get any stiffer.
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

By the way, you have to keep in mind my location. Denver Metro has been soaked thoroughly and then hit with escalating temperatures. The roads are ridiculously brownie-like. (Yes, the food)