UK Licence

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

UK Licence

Post by RideLondon »

iceman wrote:
RideLondon wrote:Just do your Direct Access. Price won't be very different to the A1. And if you do ever change your mind and want a bigger bike, you don't need to spend more money.
Prices start around £650 for a 4 day course - some are more. That's assuming you get on with gears and pass 1st time, otherwise it's more money. If you only want to ride a 125 scooter, the above suggestions seem good.
That's fine, but I'm willing to bet money that a few years down the line he ends up doing a DAS anyway. Waste of money not to just do it now IMO. I recently made the decision NOT to take my A1, but rather wait until I'm 24 (one year) to do my DAS. I am perfectly happy with my 125. But I know that I (hopefully) have many years of riding ahead of me, and who knows how my interests in bikes may change.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: UK Licence

Post by you you »

Best to get it over with now IMO. It'll just get harder in future
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014/2015
Color: White

Post by Kenno »

YorksForzaRider wrote:The therory test is multiple choice, and pretty much common sense. If you've been riding a while, you should breeze it. Try this practice test, that's what I did before I took it for real - http://www.safedrivingforlife.info/take ... e-practice. Passing this gave me the confidence to book a date for the test, and part with my money.

The hazard perception bit is not to bad, you just have to remember to only click the mouse once for each hazard. It took me 4 questions to work that out, but I still managed to pass.
I thought you needed to click more often? I've found that on a practice dvd-rom I've got I sometimes anticipate the hazard too early and don't get any points, but if I click 2 or 3 times they take your highest score anyway.

I passed both of those online tests easily but there are way more potential questions - I've failed a couple of the tests I've done on this program (I've only been driving for 15 years, so still a lot to learn obviously!). I've got the theory test booked in next week. Should be ok on the theory bit now but I think it'll come down to whether I 'play' the hazard test right

Jojo, if you're happy with a 125, then the easiest way would be to book a couple of lessons and your mod1 and mod2 on your own bike, most instructors will do a mod1 and mod2 practice lessons as standard. You'll probably need them to get rid of any bad habits etc, and after that, if you fail on anything, I'd just retake the test again rather than more lessons.

I'd considered doing this, as I mainly want to get rid of my L plates too (and didn't fancy the prospect of a day long CBT course with a bunch of 16 year olds every couple of years!), but I decided I'd like the option (which I'll no doubt exercise) to get a bigger bike, and seeing as it's the same test just on a different bike (wasn't worried about gears etc.) I thought I'd just go for the full access route.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kenno wrote:
YorksForzaRider wrote:The therory test is multiple choice, and pretty much common sense. If you've been riding a while, you should breeze it. Try this practice test, that's what I did before I took it for real - http://www.safedrivingforlife.info/take ... e-practice. Passing this gave me the confidence to book a date for the test, and part with my money.

The hazard perception bit is not to bad, you just have to remember to only click the mouse once for each hazard. It took me 4 questions to work that out, but I still managed to pass.
I thought you needed to click more often? I've found that on a practice dvd-rom I've got I sometimes anticipate the hazard too early and don't get any points, but if I click 2 or 3 times they take your highest score anyway.

I passed both of those online tests easily but there are way more potential questions - I've failed a couple of the tests I've done on this program (I've only been driving for 15 years, so still a lot to learn obviously!). I've got the theory test booked in next week. Should be ok on the theory bit now but I think it'll come down to whether I 'play' the hazard test right

Jojo, if you're happy with a 125, then the easiest way would be to book a couple of lessons and your mod1 and mod2 on your own bike, most instructors will do a mod1 and mod2 practice lessons as standard. You'll probably need them to get rid of any bad habits etc, and after that, if you fail on anything, I'd just retake the test again rather than more lessons.

I'd considered doing this, as I mainly want to get rid of my L plates too (and didn't fancy the prospect of a day long CBT course with a bunch of 16 year olds every couple of years!), but I decided I'd like the option (which I'll no doubt exercise) to get a bigger bike, and seeing as it's the same test just on a different bike (wasn't worried about gears etc.) I thought I'd just go for the full access route.

Get it done, you won't regret it

It'll last the rest of your life...
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

you you wrote: Get it done, you won't regret it

It'll last the rest of your life...
Going out on a 750cc on Friday!

If I never post again, something went horribly wrong...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Kenno wrote:
you you wrote:Get it done, you won't regret it It'll last the rest of your life...
Going out on a 750cc on Friday! If I never post again, something went horribly wrong...
Good luck! Just the thought of the walking/parking in a parking spot part of that test worries me due to the size/weight of those beaties :)
YorksForzaRider
Year: 2015

Post by YorksForzaRider »

So, had the module 2 part of my test today,which I took on my new Forza 125 ( I swapped my PCX for a new Forza last Friday. Great planning on my part ) and...

Passed!

No more L plates :P
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Congrats! did you have to inform your insurance about using your bike for a road test?
aka DrewJW
YorksForzaRider
Year: 2015

Post by YorksForzaRider »

No, I didn't inform the insurance company. I'm fully comp, so made the 'assumption' that I'd be ok. I took the insurance certificate (and log book) to the test centre, but the examiner didn't want to see them.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Ah, I'll play safe, I knew someone who found out his insurance provider did not cover his bike for driving test/school use, and he had to phone them up and make some last minute changes.
aka DrewJW
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

YorksForzaRider wrote:No more L plates :P
Good stuff! :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

Congratulations!

Cannot wait to get the L plates off mine. I enjoyed riding the 750 on my lesson but I still think the pcx will be a much better machine for my commute.
Passed my theory test this morning. Only went and got the highest score they'd ever seen (otherwise I wouldn't be dragging this oldish thread back up!). Wasn't looking forward to the hazard bit at all but I can definitely recommend practicing with an app or program beforehand!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Wonder why some (all?) insurances do not cover riding during a test - if your safe to ride on your on on the road, you should be riding safer during a test!
Kenno
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kenno »

If there's anything they can charge you more for then they will. I've heard that it goes up once you've passed your test too.