After pump repairs & PCX valves

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

After pump repairs & PCX valves

Post by fish »

Amazing.
The Honda dealer who did my fuel pump recall had trouble with the rear panel.
Today the dealer sent a tech 30 miles to replace the panel with a new one, in my garage! At first he was going to collect it and return it to me - then he had a better idea. Send the tech with the new parts.
The problem....Image

4 yellow pins, several edge attachment points and one screw hold the red cover on. Image

Edge tabs were broken....Image

These clip into the black metal edge of the hold rail...Image

Here....Image

All fixed! Image

My comments: Release the side panel enough to free the tip of the panel, then lift straight up to release the yellow pins at the top of the "U", then push down then pry out with finger tips to release edge tabs around, then work to release the two center yellow pins.

THe technician's comments: rubber gromets in those pin holes would be much better. The edge tabs were over-kill. (I had a tube of silicone grease ready to butter the new piece - but the tech brought his own)

We chatted while he worked - We talked PCX owners - and their reluctance to get their valves checked. I mentioned that forum & youtube PCX owners seem to work at convincing each other that a valve check is not necessary. He said he would quickly get kicked off of a forum if he expressed himself on that subject. I said I heard from the salesman that some PCX's come in sounding like popcorn machines - the tech said he has "seen them a lot worse than that....and it can be an expensive repair."

This young fellow was polite and efficient - he had new parts and tools and the manual.
I thanked him for making a house call! He said it was only fair since they damaged a part while doing a warranty repair. 60 miles round trip!

Also, he said I could get a new opener dampner under warranty - but it would only be the same part that is failing on my scooter and the new one in their dealership.
Fish
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Re: After pump repairs & PCX valves

Post by BRed »

Fish, that's interesting!
I thought the rear spoiler trim was the easiest piece of the puzzle!! :D

I've had mine apart 3 or 4 times (for at least partial bodywork stripping) to get access to something under the luggage box and the right rear side panel always takes the most time to insure nothing get broken.

On the "opener damper", on my Forza, it works OK when warm and no so much when cold....
I used a few drops of synthetic oil on the rod and worked it into the piston/cylinder by rapidly lifting/lowering the seat in small movements to help work the oil into the seals.
It worked. In warm weather open the seat and it stays put.

But, in very cold weather it still drifts down slowly immediately after opening, so I lift the seat to the top position, slightly pump it up and down a few times near the top limit of travel and it stays put. I think it might benefit from an adjustable bleed valve.

I would love to see a scooter where the primary design consideration was NOT the ability to store 2 fullface helmets under the seat....
no motorcycle is designed with that specification and a modern scooter is more than a rolling helmet storage box.

Lower the rider by the height of a fullface helmet and practical streamlining gets easy!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Amazing.
The Honda dealer who did my fuel pump recall had trouble with the rear panel.
Today the dealer sent a tech 30 miles to replace the panel with a new one, in my garage! At first he was going to collect it and return it to me - then he had a better idea. Send the tech with the new parts.
The problem....Image

4 yellow pins, several edge attachment points and one screw hold the red cover on. Image

Edge tabs were broken....Image

These clip into the black metal edge of the hold rail...Image

Here....Image

All fixed! Image

My comments: Release the side panel enough to free the tip of the panel, then lift straight up to release the yellow pins at the top of the "U", then push down then pry out with finger tips to release edge tabs around, then work to release the two center yellow pins.

THe technician's comments: rubber gromets in those pin holes would be much better. The edge tabs were over-kill. (I had a tube of silicone grease ready to butter the new piece - but the tech brought his own)

We chatted while he worked - We talked PCX owners - and their reluctance to get their valves checked. I mentioned that forum & youtube PCX owners seem to work at convincing each other that a valve check is not necessary. He said he would quickly get kicked off of a forum if he expressed himself on that subject. I said I heard from the salesman that some PCX's come in sounding like popcorn machines - the tech said he has "seen them a lot worse than that....and it can be an expensive repair."

This young fellow was polite and efficient - he had new parts and tools and the manual.
I thanked him for making a house call! He said it was only fair since they damaged a part while doing a warranty repair. 60 miles round trip!

Also, he said I could get a new opener dampner under warranty - but it would only be the same part that is failing on my scooter and the new one in their dealership.
Fish
Ah, experts

Would you trust them with your valves after they couldn't remove a simple plastic panel?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Here come the PCX owners!
Right on schedule.
:-) :-)
Fish
sean

Post by sean »

They did the same to mine, except they cracked it in 3 places. This was after messing up the fuel pump installation the first time. I brought it home and filled it up with gas from a can. The gas leaked out slowly and continuously. They cracked the panel when I took it back. Mine's on back-order until March. Am I getting the run-around? I also had trouble with this service dept. when they replaced my rear tire. They sent it out with a loud squeak. I was able to fix the squeak with help from this forum. Has anyone found good service for their scooter?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

BRed wrote:I would love to see a scooter where the primary design consideration was NOT the ability to store 2 fullface helmets under the seat....
Here you go, it looks like this.
Pretty damn gorgeous imo.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sprint 150 w/abs and 12" wheels, yes gn2 very nice (but not in yellow ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

It looks like his first attempt at one to me and a lousy one at that (in a hurry maybe because Honda only gives them one hour of warranty reimbursement on the pump recall which is what an experienced "panel" mechanic might take). When they did my Forza pump recall the guy had nearly all of the panels off unbroken in about twenty minutes but he said he had disassembled over 50 paneled power sport vehicles and over 20 scooters.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Sprint 150 w/abs and 12" wheels, yes gn2 very nice (but not in yellow ;)
Yep, but we only get the 125 here in Scotchland.
I wish I had a good reason to buy one because it is absolutely gorgeous.
Regrettably its simply not fast enough for my commute.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Just had the fuel pump recall and some other Warantee work ,gas strut for seat ,engine side case for comon oil leak from burr on water pump shaft, and when I was picking it up noticed they scratched the left rear panel. And scatched my seat ,before moving it I went and got the service manager and he was trying to say it was there before ,so I said I sent pictures to your service writer before the scooter was worked on by this ottawa dealer powersports canada, and he says it not clear but he is the only one that can't see it had no scratches before they worked on it from the picture , I showed ten other people and it's clear to them , then today two days after picking it up I decided to drive it and noticed it was low on gas so I put 3/4 of a tank in and also noticed screws are missing for trim under gas tank door, so I drove off and stopped as I arrived at my destination 3 kilometers away and got off scooter and smelled gas I looked down and gas is pouring on the ground. Great! I'm so pissed off I bought this scooter now! With all the recalls on it and more to come gas strut and the great factory trained honda techs at power sports canada very unhappy with the service I'm getting from them.as I can see other people are having problems with damage done durring this recall
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Wow. Not sure I have heard of a dealer like that in recent years much less a Honda dealer. I once was taking a rental airplane out after it's annual inspection and they forgot to tighten some bolts in the air intakes. Hence the preflight inspection. Do you have a regional Canadian Honda office to talk to?
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

You have a great dealer to do that - send the repair to you.

Sadly mechanics at dealers are often bad at it. I once saw a Ford mechanic slam the hood of a pick up after replacing the radiator. This was after he put the top radiator panel on backwards. He ended up driving the latch through the hood. A friend of mine took his Dodge truck in for a tune up and they used the wrong spark plugs{too long!}. Needless to say they punched holes in all 8 cylinders. That dealer put a new engine into that truck.

The local motorcycle dealer isn't any better. When I bought my Burgman from my friend he had just had them service it. I noticed that the idle was too low{something that the service should have fixed!} and started taking off panels to adjust it. I found several plastic rivets busted and one missing. I also found that they had dropped a washer, that went to the seat strut, and replaced it with one too big and too thick. Funny thing is I found the missing washer pretty easily just to the side of the seat where they dropped it.
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

Geez... I know I'll have to do it eventually, but all this is making me delay even taking it in to do the recall stuff. However, good point in taking lots of pictures before turning it over. I'd like to say I'd do it while I was at the Honda dealership, but I'm sure that mistrust right off that bat would go over real well...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Remember, you're only hearing the squeaky wheel.
Probably the vast majority of owners of this great Honda scooter had no drama when getting the recall work completed.
Forums can be misleading grump arenas....
Would that they were always positive, helpful, uplifting and informative .......

Fish
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

I think i like this guy Fish!