The DAMN Seat Latch

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The DAMN Seat Latch

Post by skuuter »

CaptnJim wrote:The first dealer where we saw the PCX didn't have a clue about it (they are a BIG multi-brand powersports multi-location dealer). The dumbass salesman whacked the heck out of the seat, trying to slam it down. My wife said, "Well, I sure don't want to buy that one." :roll:

The dealer where we bought ours showed us the "lower the seat and press down with your hand, with some weight on it." Easy. Works every time.

Slamming it down doesn't work.

If it pops back open while You ride it's out of adjustment...... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

skuuter wrote:
CaptnJim wrote:The first dealer where we saw the PCX didn't have a clue about it (they are a BIG multi-brand powersports multi-location dealer). The dumbass salesman whacked the heck out of the seat, trying to slam it down. My wife said, "Well, I sure don't want to buy that one." :roll:

The dealer where we bought ours showed us the "lower the seat and press down with your hand, with some weight on it." Easy. Works every time.

Slamming it down doesn't work.

If it pops back open while You ride it's out of adjustment...... ;)
Or less than 15 stone. No problem for me. I'm living life one burger at a time....
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Okay I just had mine in for the first break-in service and complained about the seat being so difficult to latch. I could not believe that Honda would make it that difficult. I asked the service department about it and they were clueless. The salesman that sold it to me said that was just how they are but I knew they had only sold a few of these. When I complained to the service rep I suggested we try a floor model, and he abruptly told me there were none available on the floor so I pointed to the red model just like mine that was sitting just ten feet away ready to be picked up by it's owner. I walked over and gave the key a turn, pushed on the switch and opened the seat. I then placed my hand on the top of the seat and barely gave it a push with my fingers exteneded and it locked perfectly. I looked at the service rep and said "that's what I want." A few days later I picked my scooter up and found that it now locked materially easier than before, but no where near as easy as the other PCX. Now a week or so later and it seems to be taking more effort to lock the seat again. I may try the suggestion here to trim down the rubber stops inside the seat. Very frustrating.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

That Guy wrote:Okay I just had mine in for the first break-in service and complained about the seat being so difficult to latch. I could not believe that Honda would make it that difficult. I asked the service department about it and they were clueless. The salesman that sold it to me said that was just how they are but I knew they had only sold a few of these. When I complained to the service rep I suggested we try a floor model, and he abruptly told me there were none available on the floor so I pointed to the red model just like mine that was sitting just ten feet away ready to be picked up by it's owner. I walked over and gave the key a turn, pushed on the switch and opened the seat. I then placed my hand on the top of the seat and barely gave it a push with my fingers exteneded and it locked perfectly. I looked at the service rep and said "that's what I want." A few days later I picked my scooter up and found that it now locked materially easier than before, but no where near as easy as the other PCX. Now a week or so later and it seems to be taking more effort to lock the seat again. I may try the suggestion here to trim down the rubber stops inside the seat. Very frustrating.

.......... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

I have an appt with the dealer tomorrow, Wed, 7/17 for them to take a look at the seat latch. I wrote down your suggestion, Skuuter, how some of these seats were out of adjustment from the factory and one fix would be to loosen the 10mm screws and adjusting the latch slightly upwards. the regular service manager, Al, is back from medical leave so hopefully they will fix the issue. the work is covered under warranty so I am going to take advantage of that. will let you know what happens in my next seat latch post. hopefully we will get rid of the "damn" starting out my post and write something more positive.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

so, I went to the dealer today for my seat latch appointment. the tech, Curt, came out to get me and we went to where they work on the bikes. Curt said, they are all like they, you have to give them a wack in the back. another guy chimed in, yeah, the seat latch on this one here (another new PCX) is just like it. so, I wacked the back a few times and it FINALLY closed. I then nicely looked up and said to Curt, just for shits and giggles, can you check the 2 -- 10 mm screws here, and align the latch. I heard that sometimes the latch is out of alignment from the factory. Curt did a couple of wrench turns and adjustments and what do you know, the latch actually closed easier!!! I did a mental dance around the bike and said YES! thanks to all for your suggestions. I am glad I went to the dealer today as all was covered under warranty.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Success! I would have expected a real dance though ;)
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

ScooterKim wrote:so, I went to the dealer today for my seat latch appointment. the tech, Curt, came out to get me and we went to where they work on the bikes. Curt said, they are all like they, you have to give them a wack in the back. another guy chimed in, yeah, the seat latch on this one here (another new PCX) is just like it. so, I wacked the back a few times and it FINALLY closed. I then nicely looked up and said to Curt, just for shits and giggles, can you check the 2 -- 10 mm screws here, and align the latch. I heard that sometimes the latch is out of alignment from the factory. Curt did a couple of wrench turns and adjustments and what do you know, the latch actually closed easier!!! I did a mental dance around the bike and said YES! thanks to all for your suggestions. I am glad I went to the dealer today as all was covered under warranty.

Glad it got fixed... 8) .....Yep, the "two adjustment screws" will fix it after body work removal, or the "trim the bumpers" will fix it without the body work removal...simple cures for a constant Honda "glitch"..... ;) ...My Dealer was prepping two more PCX150s yesterday for the Showroom Floor, and one of Them had to have the latch adjusted. Seems to be about a 50% ratio need to be adjusted..... 8)
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Taz wrote:Success! I would have expected a real dance though ;)
Hey Taz... I was real close to doing the hands in the air dance. I am sure the guys in the shop would have gotten a kick out of it. now, every time I latch the seat I give a BIG YES !!!
starkdog24
Year: 2011 PCX125
Color: White

Post by starkdog24 »

Skuuter, thank you for helping me out with this one. I just bought a PCX 125 and I thought something was seriously wrong with the latch or the lock.

Maybe I won't have to "wack it" down or use my palm to fix this problem.
Patrick

2011 PCX125
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

My dealer also did the "whack it" when i showed him that it was not latching easily. I now leave it unlatched. I never keep anything valuable under the seat.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Sounds like those dealers, or rather sales/service people are ones to be avoided like the plague if they are that clueless or not willing to help customers with a basic problem.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

former50cc wrote:I actually like the seat latch being this way, and I think its design was intentional. My past scooter had an incredibly easy to latch seat, so easy that it would latch when I did not want it to. I was often afraid that the seat would latch if I accidentally left the ignition key inside. With my PCX it takes a very deliberate process to lock the seat down, giving plenty of opportunity to temporarily put the seat down and lift it up again without having to push the seat unlatch button once again.
I have to whack mine pretty hard too after the new seat was built -- but not long after I got my PCX I accidentally locked my ignition key inside at the grocery store. Had to call the BW ( Beautiful Wife ) to have her bring down the spare. She's never let me forget that, and now I make sure the key's in my pocket. :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's only a 2 minute fix. No big deal
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

My seat closes easily. Shut the seat onto the latch and push down firmly on the back of the seat. No problem.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

My 2011 was finicky too. Just do as Ali stated. Lie the seat down, use heal of hand on rear of seat & press down firmly. Click!! Done. No real effort involved, just an extra step unloved ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Mine is to hard to latch that I don't bother.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seriously it takes less time to fix than whine about it.
starkdog24
Year: 2011 PCX125

Post by starkdog24 »

After a week of the "palm pressure" technique (PPT), the seat seems to latch easier each time I'm assuming those rubber stoppers are breaking in a bit.
Patrick

2011 PCX125