That seat 'opener damper'

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: That seat 'opener damper'

Post by gn2 »

The strut is beside the hinge.
Mine works perfectly and is mounted pushrod facing down.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

From Honda Forza NSS300A Parts Catalog 2014.
Attachments
Seat Diagram.png
Seat Diagram.png (131 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

& some more details. Plenty of Newton to choose from! Just make sure about the length of each part.
Attachments
Lift-O-Mat Gas Spring.jpg
Lift-O-Mat Gas Spring.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

... & the diameter of the gas spring... Of course each end is pre-fixed. Suitable for ball studs.
Attachments
Lift-O-Mat Gas Spring.png
Lift-O-Mat Gas Spring.png (96.23 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

That thing is 70 euro!!! & 40 bucks (from the dealership). Reasonable price...
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

Before making the change don't forget to consider the strength of the sockets, what they are mounted to and the seat hinge. After raising the pressure of the shock you could find out that the OEM pressure is all the setup can handle without re-engineering it and Honda decided not to do it. I wouldn't go for any more than required to get the job done. Just something to think about. In any case I do appreciate the effort to come up with a solution.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

I agree with you. But, as you can see, the Newton increments are just 50.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

a different perspective....

It appears to me that the damper is strong enough, but needs a few more millimeters of reach? Maybe 0.5 "?

If the damper could increase the seat's open angle by 5-8 degrees, more of the weight would be over the hinge and less on the damper?
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Why not? We need details of your old part BRed. The gas springs start from 106mm and the increment is 40mm. What is the diameter of both parts of it & how long is it measuring from the ball stud holes (fully extended)?
BRed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BRed »

Eh, so far I haven't been able to move it.....that sucker is strong! :(
I'll see what I can do to extend it.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

BRed wrote:a different perspective....

It appears to me that the damper is strong enough, but needs a few more millimeters of reach? Maybe 0.5 "?

If the damper could increase the seat's open angle by 5-8 degrees, more of the weight would be over the hinge and less on the damper?
If the room is available, I agree this approach would be best since it would resolve the drop problem and provide more clearance to reach in.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

What do you mean you have NOT been able to move it?
BRed wrote: Here are two pics of my spare seat damper from the salvaged Forza:

What is the total length? & width of the two parts? Then we take from there. We try a bit longer (next size is 40mm longer) or one size thicker (2mm & 4mm respectively for each part of the gas spring) or even both plus 50 Newton stronger.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BRed »

I mean I cannot physically exert enough pull or grip to extend the damn thing using gloves and common tools. :oops:

I don't want to destroy it by just clamping it in a vice and prying it open.
I don't have ball fittings to match the sockets on each end (they are identical)....
they are also plastic so they won't bear up to being clamped.

When we open it on the bike, we have 3 feet of leverage on a resistive force less than one inch from fulcrum.....
that is HUGE leverage.

come to think of it, leverage will be the key to extending it, if I can figure out a way to anchor the ends without breaking them.

I'll post the other measurements when I get home.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Never mind about the fully extended length BRed. The measurement when the gas spring is fully compressed is crucial too (measuring from one ball stud hole to the other). That, along with the thickness of the two parts and the Newtons (as I see from the second picture it says 500N of force) and we can be sure which one is it and which one to choose for a better replacement.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I've looked at a bunch of scooter review videos....and this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of doing with my Forza. Rather than trying to make that gas piston lift my seat from such a troublesome position down at the bottom, buried in the bodywork.
There are several US websites that offer these gas lifts...with info about their capabilities and the various mountings and rod- end fittings.
A trip to a maxi scoot dealer to see how they've been fitted....parts #. ?
I just would like my seat to open without the drama. Some heavy black plexi, some epoxy, the mounting plates, end fittings, stainless coarse thread screws, etc. Nothing is 'pulling', it is only pushing. Yes?
Work out the part length, strength, end fittings, and positioning of the mounting points. Leave the Honda part in place - and give it this helper?

Fish
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Seeing how Honda mounted it I can see why you all are having issues - it is too close to the hinge! Fish figured that out by looking at what other scoots have. My Burg has it's strut mounted very similarly to the picture above{except on the other side}.

Not sure how to mount, or if there is room, but a "hinge coil spring"{aka torsion spring} added to the hinge might also help. They can be found at many hardware stores or salvaged from some other source.

Here is a place that will make custom springs - a single one might be pricey though.
http://optimumspring.com/products/torsion_springs.aspx
Last edited by speedandstyle on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BRed »

well it is stubby!

overall length, center to center of the ball sockets is 110mm...
that IS the extended length, by the way (d'oh! .... no wonder I couldn't extend it)
compressed length is 96mm, so <15mm travel.

if you look at the pics I posted you'll also see a slight wear mark where the damper cylinder rubs against the body work at some point....
this suggests to me the diameter cannot be larger than the current damper, which is 18mm.

I'm thinking the easiest way to gain a few degrees on the seat angle with the same amount of lift on the damper is by somehow lowering the seat hinge pivot point a few mms.

No frame holes are drilled perfectly and most are slightly oversized for ease of assembly, so it's possible there's that much play in the 3 pieces of the hinge hardware and the seat as its all being tightened... in other words shifting the seat hinge components relative to each other during assembly could mean the difference between a damper that supports the seat and one that's slightly over-reached when extended?

does that make sense?
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Well, with the facts you gave us, the best choice would be the one highlighted (115mm compressed length & 40mm stroke & 400N, as for the Newtons & the thickness, we don't have much of a choice, if we jump to a thicker one/stronger one -19mm cylinder thickness with 145mm compressed length, 60mm stroke & 500 or 600N or even 700 or 800N- it won't let the seat close entirely because it is 90mm longer):
Attachments
Lift-O-Mat Gas Spring.png (126.48 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Lift-O-Mat Gas Spring.png (116.6 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Update: the "0500N" on the cylinder means it produces a force of 500 Newton. So, we can not choose something weaker! I will order the product with Reference No.: 2617NL (145mm fully compressed, 60mm stroke -it can push the seat way up-, 19mm of cylinder thickness & with a force of 600N).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: ...

Post by you you »

DioTiAma wrote:Update: the "0500N" on the cylinder means it produces a force of 500 Newton. So, we can not choose something weaker! I will order the product with Reference No.: 2617NL (145mm fully compressed, 60mm stroke -it can push the seat way up-, 19mm of cylinder thickness & with a force of 600N).

I don't think it'll produce any force, never mind 500 newtons. Perhaps resistance?