Paint job

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Paint job

Post by dem0nk1d »

speedandstyle wrote:I have done some vinyl wrapping and the 3M DiNoc is the best. The carbon fiber not only looks cool but has a neat texture too. I wrapped the front fender on my old Yamaha Zuma.

I also used two pieces to do my fender but hid the seam where it mounts so it couldn't be seen. Also the CF pattern will distort in areas where you have to stretch it a lot{major curves}. Heat is your friend when wrapping anything other than a flat surface. A good hair dryer set on high works great. DON'T use a heat gun unless you are super careful as it gets the vinyl wrap too soft and never when working on a plastic part. The adhesive is pressure sensitive so make sure you fully burnish the vinyl into place. The adhesion promotor{3M calls it a primer} does help.
SpeedAndStyle,

Fellow zumaformus guy too! I miss my zuma, but the pcx isn't a bad daily drive at all!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Yep I loved my Zuma and now have it back. I sold it to a friend but he got a job in a new town and so he sold it back to me since he couldn't take it with him. I will try to sell it in a month or two once it starts warming up.

Currently I am riding a 2006 Burgman 400 but it is bigger than I need. I want to get a Forza 300 but refuse to pay new price. Saving up and looking for a good deal on a used one. I am hoping that with gas prices going down that somebody will sell their's figuring they don't need to save money on gas.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

sex.... that is all...
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Keith
Year: PCX 2012 now 20
Color: White now red

Post by Keith »

Carbon Fibre Vinyl looks great.

I thought I can do that. Then I saw the price!!! :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Keith wrote:Carbon Fibre Vinyl looks great.
Not for those of us with memories of Fablon
magic_mike

Post by magic_mike »

I wrapped my zuma with some sort of vinyl that claimed it had micro holes so the air bubbles can be pressed out
which was true as long as it had good adhesion my only bubbles showed up under the seat (not seen) at a 90 degree bend with less then 1/4 to stick the vinyl
I should of used adhesion promoter but was unsure on how that stuff worked, I dont know if you can apply and pull off the vinyl when using that stuff

but everywhere else turned out perfect even crazy angles and around sharp corners
Cost around $80 from ebay they sent one large sheet

for me it was easier then painting, because I would of wanted to paint it myself
and seems really durable

I didnt go crazy and do every part just the headlight surround and 2 side body panels

kept it simple
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

magic_mike wrote:I wrapped my zuma with some sort of vinyl that claimed it had micro holes so the air bubbles can be pressed out
which was true as long as it had good adhesion my only bubbles showed up under the seat (not seen) at a 90 degree bend with less then 1/4 to stick the vinyl
I should of used adhesion promoter but was unsure on how that stuff worked, I dont know if you can apply and pull off the vinyl when using that stuff

but everywhere else turned out perfect even crazy angles and around sharp corners
Cost around $80 from ebay they sent one large sheet

for me it was easier then painting, because I would of wanted to paint it myself
and seems really durable

I didnt go crazy and do every part just the headlight surround and 2 side body panels

kept it simple
Of course..

Bike is a mess though
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Vinyl can be removed even if primer is used. However cleaning up the primer isn't as easy and you need to test the primer first as it can react with some plastics or paints. The 3M primer 94 is only recommended for 3M vinyls. Some other brands have their own primers and other brands say to not use them at all. You don't have to cover your part in the primer just in grooves and on the edges.