Honda Pacific Coast...

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Honda Pacific Coast...

Post by homie »

Why did Honda stop making the Pacific Coast? I always wanted one of these :cry: was it a piece of crappo?

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Honda Pacific Coast...

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Why did Honda stop making the Pacific Coast? I always wanted one of these :cry: was it a piece of crappo?

I always fancied one too. Rare over here
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Drooling? Lookie here: http://www.pc800buysell.org
Did you know that Dave (our forum owner, for those who don't know) had one in the past, sold it and thought about buying another? Yep, he liked it that much!
I think the PC is stylish, an eye catcher. Like ;) Bring a friend, or two :D
(Photo taken from the above link)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.23 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:Why did Honda stop making the Pacific Coast? I always wanted one of these :cry: was it a piece of crappo?

I always fancied one too. Rare over here
Just like the Silver Wing, not sold by Honda in Canada. Mororcycle.com describes as "It's looks like a port-o-pottie on wheels" and "a scooter on steroids". Today the NM4 is the red headed step sister of the Honda range!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

The rear end looks funny.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Steph wrote:The rear end looks funny.
Yes brings new meaning to some junk in the trunk!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Steph wrote:The rear end looks funny.
I always thought when I first saw these on the road it would change everything for light cruiser street bikes. The completely covered motorcycle seemed destine to be the future and immediately brought about images from the original Syfi Battlestar Galactica series when something like the Pacific Coast would be stuck in LA traffic and then blast off back to the mothership. Sometimes when beauty and practical line up so perfectly it doesn't always result in a 67 corvette :cry: IMO we haven't see the end of this design.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

I got the feeling the Pacific coast was just too far ahead of it's time in looks. Shaft drive and hyd valves that never need adjusting. I have read many stories about guys going 50,000 plus mile with no real maint. besides the needed oil changes. I almost bought a used one, then decided to go with the Forza.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

stryder123 wrote:I got the feeling the Pacific coast was just too far ahead of it's time in looks. Shaft drive and hyd valves that never need adjusting. I have read many stories about guys going 50,000 plus mile with no real maint. besides the needed oil changes. I almost bought a used one, then decided to go with the Forza.
It had one of Honda's finest engines, that front end looked like a Chicago PD parking violation boot 8)
It was just cool as hell and sounded as much. You would have had all the looks, storage, windscreen and comfort of the finest scooter plus a time tested power plant and plenty of fuel on board. I get mesmerized watching and hearing that motor lope... Honda should bring Pacific Coast back and try it overseas this time as well as USA. It's the only thing I see I worth trade up for :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately the rear end kills it. It reminds me of the Morpheous or a scooter with no style. The front is nice though, and the six of the engine is just right. Aside from the fact that it has a carb, it is a nice bike...if that rear end could be modified.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Random PC800 thoughts:

My parents had one (stepmother's).

I think they basically sold it after a while out of boredom with it. They have had all kinds of bikes between the two of them. Nothing at all wrong with the PC, but I think a lack of perceived character slowly doomed in in my folks' garage.

If I recall, and my memory is not 100% on this, the later ones had a better charging system than the early ones. Something about capacity or stator reliability or something. Can't recall off the top of my head.

Everyone I've ever talked to that owned one spoke positively about it. Non owners I've talked to generally think they look like chick bikes.

Again, memory hazy on this but some of them, certain years, came with a factory radio. Not sure if you can get an ideal year where they offered both the upgraded charging spec AND the stock radio. Radio may have been early bikes, and better electrical the later bikes. I'd take better charging. But I may be wrong on this, just recalling what I researched long ago when I thought of buying a used one.

I like the looks of the PC better than the Honda STs, but my dad opined that since you can get an ST1100 for roughly the same coin as a PC these days, you're better off getting the ST. Not sure of his line of reasoning on this, but he's put lots of seat time on both of them having owned one of each.

In the end, if a well maintained, cherry PC came on the market around me for the right price, I'd be real tempted on one. There are still enough of them out there that it would be worth waiting for a minty one.
'88 BMW R100RT
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I owned a red 1998 PC800. It was the best year, the front end didn't have the weird brake cover.

It handled like a dream. It got 60mpg. It sounded like a spaceship, had no chain to worry about, hydraulic valves (no valve adjustments), two storage bins in the back, and a spectacularly easy maintenance schedule. The seat was comfortable. The visibility was great, with perfect protection, and my wife thought it was incredibly comfortable as a passenger.

They had a flaw though. On many of the newer ones (1998 was the last year they were made), the valve cover gasket would fail, and require nearly complete disassembly of the bike to service. I didn't have a garage at the time, and sold it before the oil leak got too terrible. I was losing a bit under a quart a tank from drips when I sold it. I regret selling it to this day. It's actually the only bike I've ever regretted selling, and if I can one day have the money to buy whatever I want, I will have another.

*sigh*

I really miss that bike...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes