Digital GPS Speedometer

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Digital GPS Speedometer

Post by jblye »

For those who have an interest:

Here is the digital GPS-based speedometer / tripmeter that I ordered today from Bike Nashbar:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... viewHeader

Although actually a bicycle cyclometer, it can be used on any scooter or motorcycle. No wiring is needed,
which makes installation very simple. Heck, you could even check your lawnmower's speed if that
is something that you would like to know !!

I had a bicycle digital speedometer mounted on the top / behind my Ducati's fairing, which made it
easy to check speed or distance without having to look down. That setup required a magnetic pickup
mounted on the front wheel. This new Cateye speedometer is a GPS type, so installation couldn't be simpler.
As with the Ducati, I plan to install the Cateye unit on the top / rear area of my 2015 PCX150's tall windscreen (when I
get a tall windscreen ! ).

The usual price on this Cateye 10 GPS unit is generally about $100 - 120; however, Nashbar's already
discounted price ( 90 dollars ) is discounted an additional 20% now for orders above $ 49, and
shipping is free. So, I got it for $ 72, with free shipping.

Cateye has always been considered a high quality manufacturer, so I decided: Why not ? Garmin GPS
units are considerably higher than $72. Also, I especially like the large speed display. Most of the Garmin
units have somewhat smaller speed displays.
Johnny
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Digital GPS Speedometer

Post by jblye »

I received the Cateye Stealth 10 cyclometer, and it works great; however,
it has one shortcoming that might make it less desirable for use on the
PCX150. The speed reading only goes up to 65.8 miles per hour. That
would probably be just fine for a stock PCX125, but it is on the edge of the top
speed envelope for a stock PCX150....and would be even more of a problem
for those PCX150s which have been modified to run 75+ mph,

I'll probably just use it on one of my bicycles. The fastest speed I've ever
reached on my faired recumbent bicycles was 50 mph (down a steep grade in
the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia), so the speed readout won't be an issue
for that use.

Johnny
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Are the GPS speed apps on our smartphones just not accurate enough? Some even give speeding alerts. There must be 50 of them out there. I have been using Google Maps on my Forza.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:? Some even give speeding alerts.
I like this feature on a GPS and will not purchase one that doesn't have it. When my detector goes off my eyes go right to Garmin and if I'm red numbered for speed on the GPS its instant awareness that you are at risk of ticket. That moment you look for the posted speed is not needed to correct yourself fast enough to avoid a radar trying to lock on you or vehicles in front of you. I highly recommend a GPS that goes RED when you are over the posted limit. Haven't had a speeding ticket in years.
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

I have GPS app capability on my iPhone, but it is a relatively big, clunky thing compared
to a bicycle cyclometer....and the phone GPS might use up your monthly data quota rapidly
under certain conditions....probably depends to some degree on what type of data plan you
have.

The bicycle GPS cyclometer is very compact and is a minimalist way to look at your
speed without having to look down at the PCX speedometer. If you need a map
type display, those are available for quite a bit more money. I just wanted to see
the speed, not a map, mounted almost in my line of view.

It all depends on what you need (or just want). I had conventional bicycle cyclometers
(with a magnetic front wheel pickup) on my Ducati and on my Honda ST1100 motorcycles.
They worked great, but mounting them was more of a chore. The one I used on the Ducati
had a top speed reading capability of about 185 mph, but the Ducati would "only" do 160 mph,
so that was not a problem. I should have checked the Cateye web site to see what its top
speed reading capability was before buying, but I wrongly assumed that it would be unlimited.
Oh, well.....

If the phone GPS app works best for you, go for it.

Johnny
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Sprint unlimited everything here. I need it with my clan. I actually think they got rid of the plan I have some time ago.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:Sprint unlimited everything here. I need it with my clan. I actually think they got rid of the plan I have some time ago.

Not a word.......