Lane Splitter doesn't pay enough attention!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Lane Splitter doesn't pay enough attention!

Post by SECoda »

Not to mention the guy didn't use his signal to change lanes.
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

Theres no excuse for it, he was going much fast than he should have been! It was just a matter of time.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

I thought the cameraman was his friend. But he seems to keep on going after the crash. Did you see the YouTube video of the motorcyclist who hit the back of a van and ended up on the roof of the van. The guy in this UK video ended up on the street.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I thought lane splitting is for when the cars are at a almost stand still.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Even if we could, would we? I have done this when traffic was at a stand still or almost so. Doing this while moving faster than the rest of the traffic is asking for something to happen.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

We just rode along with him. How'd that feel? Not Good!! Thank God We're Okay. He's Not!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Sorry, no sympathy for me. That's clearly self inflicted and a rider with half a brain should know better not to pass cars THAT fast. Regardless of who is wrong, 2 wheel folks will always come off second best so a rider riding to live to ride another day would not have been that reckless to not allow any buffer against an error regardless of which party was at fault.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Absolutely amazed the camera rider was un-touched by wreckage, auto's or his flailing buddies body. Chief said "it was like Days of Thunder"
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Deserved everything they got. Looks like a nominee for a Darwin Award
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I agree. It's not an accident if you can predict the results with pretty much total certainty.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Oh come on. We've all done it....?
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:D :D This "We" has never done it and certainly never will. Can't speak for the other "We alls"
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

My opinion about lane splitting:

It's just an accident waiting for a place to happen. When trying to go between two cars on the highway (even at low speed),
there are just too many variables that the scooter or motorcycle rider cannot control.....inebriated / drugged drivers,
distracted drivers who are texting, motorists who resent scooter riders getting ahead of them, and many more possibilities
for disaster. The first time that I saw lane splitting in California, I was amazed to find out that it is legal in that state.
I've been riding powered 2-wheelers for 57 years, and I accepted the fact that there are some inherent risks in doing so.
But, lane splitting.....that crosses the line, in my opinion.

Some will undoubtedly disagree with the above and will continue to do it.....but not me !!

Got that off my chest.....now, next crusade......

Johnny
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

With cell phones and texting it is insane.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Mel46 wrote:Even if we could, would we? I have done this when traffic was at a stand still or almost so. Doing this while moving faster than the rest of the traffic is asking for something to happen.
The only argument I need is to think back on how many times I've seen cars change lanes without signaling to convince me not to try it. I'm also weary about the car in front of me when I'm considering changing lanes due to a slowdown, because the guy in front of me is probably thinking the same thing.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

jblye wrote:My opinion about lane splitting:

It's just an accident waiting for a place to happen. When trying to go between two cars on the highway (even at low speed),
there are just too many variables that the scooter or motorcycle rider cannot control.....inebriated / drugged drivers,
distracted drivers who are texting, motorists who resent scooter riders getting ahead of them, and many more possibilities
for disaster. The first time that I saw lane splitting in California, I was amazed to find out that it is legal in that state.
I've been riding powered 2-wheelers for 57 years, and I accepted the fact that there are some inherent risks in doing so.
But, lane splitting.....that crosses the line, in my opinion.

Some will undoubtedly disagree with the above and will continue to do it.....but not me !!

Got that off my chest.....now, next crusade......

Johnny
Well said! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Sorry Johnny, but I'm one of those "some" who will undoubtedly disagree with you!

Here in London, lane- splitting/ filtering is probably the number 1 reason people buy a bike in the first place. There is no point in owning one if you're not going to do it. Personally I think it is perfectly safe in a very congested city, as long as you keep your wits about you. Driving a bike is learning how to compensate for other drivers' mistakes.
Around here the traffic doesn't pick up enough speed for there to be any unexpected high- speed surprises with cars coming out of nowhere.

Go to any Asian city, in thailand, China, Vietnam, India etc. Lane- splitting is a way of life. If it weren't for lane splitting, thousands of people would be unable to make it into work every day. London is becoming the same. On my commute both to and from uni, I am one of literally hundreds of scooters/ bikes, all of us in a line filtering down the middle of the traffic.
It's not even something to think twice about, in my opinion it's the best aspect of owning a scooter. My commute takes me 25 minutes each way, no matter what the traffic is. If I were in a car, that would sometimes be over 90 minutes with traffic. It's a 9 mile journey.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Sacha wrote:Sorry Johnny, but I'm one of those "some" who will undoubtedly disagree with you!

Here in London, lane- splitting/ filtering is probably the number 1 reason people buy a bike in the first place. There is no point in owning one if you're not going to do it. Personally I think it is perfectly safe in a very congested city, as long as you keep your wits about you. Driving a bike is learning how to compensate for other drivers' mistakes.
Around here the traffic doesn't pick up enough speed for there to be any unexpected high- speed surprises with cars coming out of nowhere.

Go to any Asian city, in thailand, China, Vietnam, India etc. Lane- splitting is a way of life. If it weren't for lane splitting, thousands of people would be unable to make it into work every day. London is becoming the same. On my commute both to and from uni, I am one of literally hundreds of scooters/ bikes, all of us in a line filtering down the middle of the traffic.
It's not even something to think twice about, in my opinion it's the best aspect of owning a scooter. My commute takes me 25 minutes each way, no matter what the traffic is. If I were in a car, that would sometimes be over 90 minutes with traffic. It's a 9 mile journey.
You might also understand that there's a cultural difference.

In Europe, you're expected to lane split. In the US, not only is this behavior hated, it's illegal in many states and will attract the attention of local law enforcement.

Before referring people to Asian cities, I'd look up "Scooter fails" on YouTube and try to pay attention to where most of the "accidents" occur.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

There are times that filtering would apply to where I live. Traffic backs up daily on my way home from work. I would do it if allowed. But, only when the traffic comes to a crawl.