How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by wojtek_pl »

I did some research and unfortunately there is not much that can be helped. :(
One solution - buy a snowmobile helmet with electric heated shield. May not be legal in Europe . And this is expensive option. :(
Second one is to buy a mask :D : http://shop.coldavenger.com/sale/coldav ... face-mask/

I'm considering it. :roll: Not that expensive but not cheap either...

All that extra clothing and accessories makes any savings, by choosing scooter to ride than a car, rather questionable. :cry:
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

A pin lock inner visor will solve the face shield issues. Maybe better ventilation would help with your glasses.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

sendler2112 wrote:A pin lock inner visor will solve the face shield issues. Maybe better ventilation would help with your glasses.
No, I have a pinlock and it just froze on the inside. Not all but a part of it.

I have to figure some kind of breath deflector. To keep the moist air out of the visor and glasses.
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Steph wrote:@Fish - No car! that is rare for where you live. But, That's cool. It's 18 miles one way to my work. How far is your ride to work? Never would consider winter commuting to my work. I could have no snow on the way in then have 8 inches on the way home. I would be in trouble if I was on my scooter.
Well, one must pay close attention to the forecast!!
And have been caught out a few times by faulty weathermen.
But was able to get home in dry blowing snow flurries.....wherein I learned that the issue becomes watching the road AND the traffic. A jerk in an F-150 ran a side street stop sign and I nearly did not pick this up soon enough due to staring at the road.
My parachute is leave the scoot in the warehouse at work and take the bus home. (plus 1 mile walk)
I was (mostly) sensible for 1/2 a century.....now I'm waxing and riding my scooter!
I never ride more than 45 mph.....my happy speed is around 35......since I'm still raising some of my 6 children.
Fish
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@Fish - Some the roads I travel to work are 55 MPH. The express way would be the correct way but not on the scoot. would need more CCs for that. I'm not really close to work. 18 miles one way. Regarding the F-150 truck incident, Do you wear Hi-Viz riding gear?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

This is what a nice day looks like where I live 5 months out of the year. My heated gear has allowed me to increase my mileage on the PCX by 25%.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

ENOUGH!!!!!! time for a 3 hour vacation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qREKP9oijWI
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I don't know what the problem is.
motorcycleski.jpg
motorcycleski.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Looks like mid 40s for the next week or more. No more 70 F. That will have to do I guess. :roll:
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

20 degrees (F) is my limit. My fingers go numb! I was told to get Cold Killers as they block wind. I bought some lobster gloves that are insulated goretex, but they don't block wind very well. I wear layers and my Artic insulated Carhart biboralls are worth their weight in gold! Bulky, but for the Forza, not an issue.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

OMG - 20 F is a bit brisk for me. I am fine at 35 F but that is about it. January is our coldest month and the average high is low 40s F so there still should be some good days.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Steph wrote:@Fish - Some the roads I travel to work are 55 MPH. The express way would be the correct way but not on the scoot. would need more CCs for that. I'm not really close to work. 18 miles one way. Regarding the F-150 truck incident, Do you wear Hi-Viz riding gear?
Wearing this .....(unzipped during this photo - it is an armored jacket with the MOST hiviz yellow areas of any jacket I've found)

On this scooter....

I never sat my scooter until I had hiviz armored gear and helmet and gloves. Never been able to find a hi viz helmet that fits my head (XXXXL) Thinking about painting mine. First addition to the scoot was longer mirrors to keep an eye behind me, and replaced the junk chinese tires with City Grips.
The driver never slowed at the side street stop sign....passing in my path (Kymco brakes & Michelin City Grips are a great combination!) and turned nearly into car coming in the oncoming lane. Lots of horn blowing. Figure he was drunk.
What did I file away ?: Snow won't kill me, but idiots at every intersection is where the real danger is.
Keep eyes up, off of the road surface, and watch for the next Ford...
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Driveways too. I had a lady pull out in front of me after looking at me twice right out of her driveway. She looked right through me. I was expecting her to do it and waved a hand while yelling. She really took off scared. Hopefully, she will remember that. No cell phone or anything. Her brain just ignored a motorcycle - too small I guess. She lives right on a primary scenic road and there are many bikes down there all of the time and watch for motorcycle signs all over.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@Fish- Now I remember that shot with your Hi-Viz gear on. Good for you! I do wonder why the Ford truck still entered into your path. He must have not even glanced you way at all not to have seen you. When I'm riding with my Hi-Viz gear, I have a feeling like I'm wearing a protective force field around me.

@SECoda - what were you wearing during the driveway incident?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I was not wearing what I should have been. Good point. I need something that is not the obnoxious orange like I was using on my PCX. What do you recommend that doesn't clash with two red bikes? :P
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Fluorescent yellow like what I have. I like the fluorescent yellow the best. Fluorescent pink in interesting too. But, You may not like it.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Pink? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Where did you purchase it?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

This looks good but my wife doesn't like the $100 price.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/it ... partment=0
hi-viz-safety-vest-neon-red.jpg
hi-viz-safety-vest-neon-red.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Steph wrote:Fluorescent pink in interesting too. But, You may not like it.
Unfortunately for the lads, this is now seen to be the most stand out colour, and is slowly replacing fluorescent yellow/orange. o_O
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

well its 1 degree C outside, dry i have just covered 5 miles, it wasn't pleasant!
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles