TILE... security for Scooter - love it!

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

TILE... security for Scooter - love it!

Post by homie »

We don't need lowjack or other expensive services for our toys and gadgets. I knew it wouldn't be long before these services were obsolete :lol: For 25.00 you can tag anything you like and as soon as there are millions of these out there theft will not be practical. I'm putting one of these inside my scooters fairings where it will be nearly impossible to find. I will take a dozen please 8)

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Re: TILE... security for Scooter - love it!

Post by homie »

https://www.thetileapp.com/

Get the app... preorder so they can get this going fast! You know you want these in your lives. Someone call them and ask for a proximity alert for specific items tagged. So if I'm walking away from something I shouldn't it will ping me within distance opted.
Last edited by homie on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:We don't need lowjack or other expensive services for our toys and gadgets. I knew it wouldn't be long before these services were obsolete :lol: For 25.00 you can tag anything you like and as soon as there are millions of these out there theft will not be practical. I'm putting one of these inside my scooters fairings where it will be nearly impossible to find. I will take a dozen please 8)

Tile and a baseball bat, sorted :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

yes... vigilantly justice at last! I making a citizens arrest... BONK!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have something called COPDOTS. I think of them more as identification dots, but i haven't read the instructions yet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Sounds like something I might want to slip into my gear in case someone wants to snatch and grab that.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I have something called COPDOTS. I think of them more as identification dots, but i haven't read the instructions yet.
Pretty cool but the thief has to be caught with suspected stolen goods before anyone thinks to look for copdots, could takes years. I want my stuff back before it gets used and abused.

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

When will Tiles be popular enuf so that it is effective (so the community helps me find my scooter)? Will the thieves discover a locating tool that tells them where a Tile is hidden on a stolen bike? If a Tile costs $25, can the thieves develop something that will discover Tiles for $50? The Tiles can be removed easily if they are discovered by the thief.

This subject interests me because i have had 2 motorcycles stolen. One from inside my closed garage after midnight... they got in a side door.... the dog barked loudly and i told the dog to "Stop it" since i was sleeping. 2nd bike stolen from a parking garage while i was working.... well-lighted area and i had the cycle chained to a pipe.... the bike and chain were both gone when i got off work at 11pm. It has taken me a long time before i was willing to own a motorcycle/scooter again. I seldom leave my PCX alone for more than a few minutes.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

yak wrote:When will Tiles be popular enuf so that it is effective (so the community helps me find my scooter)? Will the thieves discover a locating tool that tells them where a Tile is hidden on a stolen bike? If a Tile costs $25, can the thieves develop something that will discover Tiles for $50? The Tiles can be removed easily if they are discovered by the thief.

This subject interests me because i have had 2 motorcycles stolen. One from inside my closed garage after midnight... they got in a side door.... the dog barked loudly and i told the dog to "Stop it" since i was sleeping. 2nd bike stolen from a parking garage while i was working.... well-lighted area and i had the cycle chained to a pipe.... the bike and chain were both gone when i got off work at 11pm. It has taken me a long time before i was willing to own a motorcycle/scooter again. I seldom leave my PCX alone for more than a few minutes.
Yes, yes. yes and most certainly yes to all the possibilities LOL. If some Godless person wants your stuff they will have it! But for 25 bucks I think I will engage in this if like you say enough people are using it to make it effective because its not satellite dependent more peer to peer. Every little bit helps but wouldn't it be FUN to track down your stolen scoot to some little punks house on your cell phone and recover it! That would be worth the 25 ROFL
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

$25 a year is good value, esp. with the tile community auto detecting your item when another user gets close by. But I can see criminals and oiks with soon have an app to locate any tile in range and chance their luck.
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

Just ordered one. Great idea! Certainly worth $25. Funny thing, my finacee got one of these a while back for her car keys. Never seen her use the app to find these beside locally (it churps, so we find them in the house easy enough).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I know that this is a dumb question, but I have never had my bike stole. If you see your bike or the TILE tells you it is your bike, and some guy is riding it, what do you do? If you flag a cop you will have to prove to the cop that it is yours, and the guy riding the bike could see you hanging around and run, or take the bike and go before the cop arrives. Also, if he is a big guy you certainly don't want to confront him. Like I said, I am sure this is a dumb question to those who have had there stuff stolen before, but I haven't so I don't know what I would do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

No one ever stole your bicycle, go cart or mini bike Mel? They usually would strip it or use it for a time and leave it somewhere... unfortunately the river was a popular place. I wouldn't expect grown men to jack a scooter but the hooligans around here after dark are the ones I have to plan for. They aren't that organized or cleaver, for example last year people started missing patio equipment around the neighborhood only to eventually have it all turn up at a big party with which one of the guest recognized her parents lawn chairs o_O These losers won't be thinking about tracking devices and you might get to them before they even get it started :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie wrote:
yak wrote:When will Tiles be popular enuf so that it is effective (so the community helps me find my scooter)? Will the thieves discover a locating tool that tells them where a Tile is hidden on a stolen bike? If a Tile costs $25, can the thieves develop something that will discover Tiles for $50? The Tiles can be removed easily if they are discovered by the thief.

Yes, yes. yes and most certainly yes to all the possibilities LOL. If some Godless person wants your stuff they will have it! But for 25 bucks I think I will engage in this if like you say enough people are using it to make it effective because its not satellite dependent more peer to peer. Every little bit helps but wouldn't it be FUN to track down your stolen scoot to some little punks house on your cell phone and recover it! That would be worth the 25 ROFL
.....and yes, yes pack a borrowed Air Gun from fellow forum peeps! homie I will be following you, uh,... on the worthiness of this device. I'm torn. Instincts holding me back. Why? I feel "danger danger." Hopefully you will never go one on one with "The Hulk" that takes your Shay or someone that is crazier than you :lol: (just funing folks). Seriously, it sounds like an interesting & affordable watchdog device (without the dog part).
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pcxpower »

Really interesting product! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I grew up in an orphanage where we weren't allowed to own things like bicycles because others would want it. We had a system in place for getting your stolen stuff back if you knew who took it, and group punishment if you didn't know who but knew it was someone in the group. It was a Catholic organization, so you can imagine the rest. The good thing was that you learned about honesty, and truthfulness, and playing fair, and being kind to others. So it was a shock to me when I left there and found that the world has a lot of bullies and selfish people who step on others to get what they want.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I grew up in an orphanage where we weren't allowed to own things like bicycles because others would want it. We had a system in place for getting your stolen stuff back if you knew who took it, and group punishment if you didn't know who but knew it was someone in the group. It was a Catholic organization, so you can imagine the rest. The good thing was that you learned about honesty, and truthfulness, and playing fair, and being kind to others. So it was a shock to me when I left there and found that the world has a lot of bullies and selfish people who step on others to get what they want.

So it was a surprise to move from the bullying and punishment of a catholic institution and the mixed humanity within it to that of real life?

At least your arsehole is intact.
GARETT0439

Post by GARETT0439 »

I had my homemade motorized bike stolen. True story:
About 8 months later my brother saw some guy riding it through the city. He immediately pulled a full on drifting U-turn and began a chase that was on par with the Terminator 2 chase.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tMzsDsYtnFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm talking center medians jumped, hedges between parking lots destroyed, etc etc in his 4 liter 4x4 Ford Ranger mad max mobile.
Long story short he got him and called the cops and I got the bike back.

I really like the Tile, but they don't have replaceable or rechargeable batteries so you have to buy a new one EVERY YEAR.
I'll wait until they rethink that ridiculous method of getting our money.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GARETT0439 wrote:I had my homemade motorized bike stolen. True story:
About 8 months later my brother saw some guy riding it through the city. He immediately pulled a full on drifting U-turn and began a chase that was on par with the Terminator 2 chase.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tMzsDsYtnFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm talking center medians jumped, hedges between parking lots destroyed, etc etc in his 4 liter 4x4 Ford Ranger mad max mobile.
Long story short he got him and called the cops and I got the bike back.

I really like the Tile, but they don't have replaceable or rechargeable batteries so you have to buy a new one EVERY YEAR.
I'll wait until they rethink that ridiculous method of getting our money.

Good point
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

$25/yr for added security is pitance for peace of mind of knowing when your property is moved and have some means to track it. If the community aspect (passers by auto alerting owners where their property may be) works, then that is amazing - unless crooks have a means to break into the apps and have a licence to track and steal things. If these things become popular, I bet the china ebay community will have cheap copies or new cases/batteries for sale.