Taking off the speed limiter!?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Taking off the speed limiter!?

Post by jkautz »

I'm at 1200 miles now. I can't stand the limiter at 64mph when I have a stretch of downhill that is at 65mph. If I didn't have the limiter, I could go fast enough to keep up with traffic. I just need to take the limiter off and let my momentum do the rest down the hill. Help!

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Re: Taking off the speed limiter!?

Post by homie »

I wouldn't suggest this but Chief says,
"Slow down to under 9mph at the top of the hill to let the engine disengage from the clutch and get ready for the ride of your life!"

Seriously be careful because its like trying to stop a runaway train because when your not engine braking (parden the pun) your only relying on your brakes alone and its a whole different experience o_O
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

Well the 65mph zone levels out at the bottom. I wouldn't even need to use the brakes, but I would like to at least let the bike pick up speed down the hill some. At least 5-7mph more would be perfect! Has anyone successfully removed the limiter?

Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

jkautz wrote:Has anyone successfully removed the limiter?
No.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

What you are describing has happened to everyone who ever bought a motorcycle/scooter. Whatever bike you choose, you wish it would just do "one more thing". Then you end up buying a bigger motorcycle.... only to watch it happen all over again.
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

yak wrote:What you are describing has happened to everyone who ever bought a motorcycle/scooter. Whatever bike you choose, you wish it would just do "one more thing". Then you end up buying a bigger motorcycle.... only to watch it happen all over again.
I wish I could say that, but I had an R6 and I wanted it to be less powerful lol the scooter is perfect for me. Saves money in gas, keeps up with traffic. It's just the governor that is bothering me. Ill have to look into one of those variators it looks like.

Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

It is probably revving pretty high at 65 mph. There is a good reason for the limiter of course. A Variator might trade some acceleration for top speed.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you want your PCX to go faster there's lots of ways of wasting your cash to be found in the Performance section along with a liberal sprinkling of falsehoods, dreams and downright lies.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:If you want your PCX to go faster there's lots of ways of wasting your cash to be found in the Performance section along with a liberal sprinkling of falsehoods, dreams and downright lies.
colorful...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

At 1200 miles your bike may not be fully broken in. Neither of our 2013 pcx150 scooters was fully broken in until very close to 2,000 miles. At full breakin you should be able to reach 67 mph. I know that isn't much over the 64 you have experienced, but once it is fully broken in you can better explore other options such as an NCY variator and drive face. That combination, i understand, could net a few more miles per hour. Without getting a big bore kit, that may be the limit of its capabilities.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

The 2015 PCX guys are finding out that the 2013s have top speeds 3-4 mph faster because of subtle differences in the CVT. I think just the belt dimensions is one factor.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:The 2015 PCX guys are finding out that the 2013s have top speeds 3-4 mph faster because of subtle differences in the CVT. I think just the belt dimensions is one factor.
I just found out something about NCY pulley sets, drive faces and 12gm rollers on 2015's.... don't do it :lol:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

jkautz wrote:I'm at 1200 miles now. I can't stand the limiter at 64mph when I have a stretch of downhill that is at 65mph. If I didn't have the limiter, I could go fast enough to keep up with traffic. I just need to take the limiter off and let my momentum do the rest down the hill. Help!
It is not really a speed limiter you are experiencing. It is the rev limiter. The engine is redlined at that point at 9,600 rpm. It is limited there to keep from blowing up. DrPulley sliders and filing the vario as per the "Maximizing your sliders" thread can raise the downhill top speed a few mph.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yea - too bad the stock tires were not on for the testing first.
homie wrote:
SECoda wrote:The 2015 PCX guys are finding out that the 2013s have top speeds 3-4 mph faster because of subtle differences in the CVT. I think just the belt dimensions is one factor.
I just found out something about NCY pulley sets, drive faces and 12gm rollers on 2015's.... don't do it :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Yea - too bad the stock tires were not on for the testing first.
homie wrote:
scooterman has the stock tire reports on NCY product upgrade... I'm working something out with meat on the bone ;)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

YOU need a variator. :o It will raise your rev limit(10ish mph), but not get rid of it.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

dasshreddar wrote:YOU need a variator. :o It will raise your rev limit(10ish mph), but not get rid of it.
It doesn't change the rev limit. That will still be 9,600 rpm or whatever it was. The bigger variator makes the gearing on the top end longer so the speed that you get at that rpm is faster.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Yeah, check out the performance section. 2015 is confirmed to be several mph slower on the top end. According to some it's the internal final drive gear. Sendler2112 mentioned the belt could play a role too. I had (2) 2013's and a 2015. With the NCY parts, one 2013 went 77 with a new belt, the other 79mph. I suppose I could have swapped belts to see if that was the diff as the part number has been replaced since the bike was sold new. 2015 model goes 75mph with 1200mi on the belt.

Anyway, For $100-$120, you have your top speed up. You'll still hit the limiter as others have said, but not so abruptly, and you'll be going faster when you do, so it shouldn't bother you as much. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

The NCY variator and face plate will get you over 70mph on the downhill, no lying or stretching the truth. I just averaged 73mph for over 60 miles in rolling hills on I80 with a strong tailwind. Into the wind is another story. Only 60 mph. Still way better than stock. I have an exhaust and pod filter installed also.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

vamootsman wrote:The NCY variator and face plate will get you over 70mph on the downhill, no lying or stretching the truth. I just averaged 73mph for over 60 miles in rolling hills on I80 with a strong tailwind. Into the wind is another story. Only 60 mph. Still way better than stock. I have an exhaust and pod filter installed also.
averaged 73mph over 60 miles!!! Amazing. I can't average much over 70 mph when I run at pretty steady 90mph, 120 plus on a clear stretch over a 95 mile trip home. Not on a PCX obviously.

I'm impressed.

Where do I get this variator from?