Nathan's Law

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

Nathan's Law

Post by William T »

Here in Michigan a new law has been passed called Nathan's Law. Nathan Bower was riding his motorcycle and was struck by a vehicle, killing Nathan in 2009. The new law will require that driver's education classes will include bicycle and motorcycle awareness instruction along with laws governing their rights to ride. I believe this is excellent since I have ridden on the roads with both bicycle and motorcycles and know that many people do not know the laws for their use and we all know that awareness instruction can not be anything but good. :D :) :P
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Nathan's Law

Post by ScooterMan »

Good! Here in CA, we have the only state that legally allows lane splitting. However, since there are so many transplants (non native Californians), many think we're just being assholes and breaking the law when we do it, and honk, veer into our lane to block, etc.

Some awareness on that might be nice to have here.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:Good! Here in CA, we have the only state that legally allows lane splitting. However, since there are so many transplants (non native Californians), many think we're just being assholes and breaking the law when we do it, and honk, veer into our lane to block, etc.
Recent events in the U.S. have renewed motorcyclists’ interest in lane splitting. Therefore, the AMA has prepared this position statement to aid in understanding this issue and assist motorcyclists in deciding whether to support efforts to permit lane splitting in their state.

One of the recommendations in the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety (NAMS)2 is: “Study the safety implications of lane splitting.” In support of this recommendation, the report states:

“A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.

“Although lane splitting is allowed in just a few areas of the United States, notably California, it appears to be worthy of further study because it offers a means of reducing congestion in addition to possible safety benefits. It is widely used in many other countries.”

Illinois is considering this and if they allow it will be very strange indeed to butt the line and blow off the traffic. I understand why people would be pissed off if cycles were wedging in between auto drivers... It will take some getting used to for sure!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I was younger i would only split lanes when traffice was at a standstill or crawling along at a couple of miles per hour, but i did it for a different reason than most people think. I had motorcycles that had air cooled engines. They don't cool if you are not moving. Turning the bike off and on a lot just runs the battery down, which ends with a motorcyclist pushing his bike to the side of the road. Cars were not spewing breathable air out their tailpipes either, which made it bad for the rider as well. That limited our choices to either break the law or pull over and wait for gridlock to pass. Not much of a choice.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I work in a medical field. I can attest from experience that education has little effect, if any, on the behavior of the average person. This is especially true if any effort or inconvenience is involved on their part.

Good for Michigan, though, for trying, at least.
'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:When I was younger i would only split lanes when traffice was at a standstill or crawling along at a couple of miles per hour, but i did it for a different reason than most people think. I had motorcycles that had air cooled engines. They don't cool if you are not moving. Turning the bike off and on a lot just runs the battery down, which ends with a motorcyclist pushing his bike to the side of the road. Cars were not spewing breathable air out their tailpipes either, which made it bad for the rider as well. That limited our choices to either break the law or pull over and wait for gridlock to pass. Not much of a choice.
Oh I can remember sitting on the Causeway's wishing I had the balls to break Florida law and rip between traffic on my big bore air cooled Honda enduro. But I always imagined a cop in that line up somewhere or somebody opening a door out of spite.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I remember the dirty air of the 70's. Horrible when you got caught in traffic...I was just a kid back then. Mel, I think the "air-cooled" rationale was the reasoning behind the original passage of the law legalizing lane splitting in CA.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I would love it if they allowed lane splitting in Michigan! :D
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Filtering is so great - really makes you appreciate just what it was like sat in the car not moving :)
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

If I wasn´t allowed to filter through traffic, I wouldn´t be riding a bike at all I think. I only got my bike licence when I moved to London and so far it has saved me thousands of hours and British Pounds in train tickets....

But even if it wasn´t legal, there is also the case of personal injury claims if people got hurt. If the accident could have been avoided by the car driver even if (s)he was in the right, that gives the driver part of the guilt with all its consequences (at least in the UK and Germany - funnily, cause both have fundamentally different laws that come to the same conclusion through different ways).
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

Scientists are starting to study these things. Drivers of cars and trucks do not "see" motorcycles. They are looking to pull out from an alley or driveway or store. Their minds are fixed on the oncoming cars. They tend to look through anything that is not a car. I have noticed fewer close-calls when i wear one of those bright green safety vests. I see that several members of this forum have photos showing them with safety clothing.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Just started to wear a hi-viz vest over my jacket - now that it's getting darker.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

There are many reasons why cage drivers don´t see motorbikers or cyclists. One of the main reasons is that the human brain can´t judge the distance as well to a single light or slim profile coming straight at you as well as two headlights and a wide car. Plus, its a matter of contrasting colours (hence why high viz may help).

When I am approaching a junction, I start doing smooth zig zags so the driver doesn´t only have the straight on movement but can judge relative movement, too (same effect as with two lights side by side).

This article by an RAF pilot explains why this might help:

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilo ... -cyclists/
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Since riding an ex-police bike, I find drivers have no problems seeing that motorcycle. Wonder why?
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

In the book "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough, he describes an informal experiment done by a Road Rider journalist in which he tried 3 different conspicuity setups:
-Stealth(black bike, all black gear)
-High vis(white bike, bright colored gear)
-Motor cop(black bike, white saddlebags, clear windshield, khaki shirt, tall leather boots, half helmet, shiny visor, sunglasses, and a club name badge)

His conclusion was that the motor cop setup had less "infractions"(book does not specify) than the others, and that the high vis setup didn't fair any better than the stealth. So the obvious conclusion is that cagers can see you just fine, they just don't care unless you're a potential threat to them(legally or physically).

Not that it's a shock really. I've only been riding for a month or so and I'm already conditioned to ease off the throttle whenever I see a police car. Just that the SMIDSY excuse doesn't really fly. They see you fine, whether or not they pay any attention to you is another story. If they hit you, their life isn't in danger.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Below, is a report from a M/C safety course, taken from another forum. Some interesting points. The best place to have Hi Vis is on the arms.

Re the hi viz - They showed research results, nothing heavy, just pictures to demonstrate, and it was vey interesting.

Bright colours
They showed a picture of a tiger which was in the sun with its bright orange and white, black stripes. It just faded into the background. The point being that standing out was totally dependant upon background.

Black gear and black bike.
They showed a silhouette of a bike against a bright light, it showed up perfectly.

Bright head lights.
They showed a picture of a range rover head on, driving towards you with both head lamps on on a road at night. In front of the range rover riding towards you was a large capacity motorcycle, it's headlamp exactly replaced the nearside light of the range rover making it "invisible".

Hi viz tabards
They showed some pics comparing the visibility of tabards versus sleeved hi viz. the (SMIDSY) car driver looking at the approaching bike would only likely see the shoulders of the tabard, and if a screen was fitted, less. Same from the rear if a bag, topbox, or rucksack used. A lot of tabards don't have side panels, so useless from the side.
The other point they made was that the brain does not react the same way to a block of colour as it does to the shape of a person. They recommended a hi viz with sleeves and used with a white helmet. We saw pics that made it much easier to fathom that there was a rider there.

Other thing they said that improved chances were.

Outline lights to highlight the bulk or shape of the bike - bullet lights for example
Flickering lights a bit like those on pedal bikes seemed to go down well.

We also discussed what the SMIDSY driver was looking for. Apparently a driver ( or rider for that matter) only spends less than half a second in a glance assessing the view. They see a line of traffic, but what they don't see is a car, a van, a car and another van say. What they are looking for is the gap, some darker space that they can make use of. In a line of approaching vehicles the shape of a bike tends to lend itself to creating the impression of that gap.

Hi viz colour - it seems that the current industry colour for hi vis is bright pink. The bright yellow is very overused in an urban environment and also disappears against bright sunlight. Pink however is what is now being used on building sites and ai see more and more jackets etc. the logic being that it is a colour which is not naturally found in any environment.

They also spoke about looming and motion camouflage.

Looming describes the dot in the distance which becomes bigger as it nears. The camera mounted on the road surface at the TT best describes this. You know the bike is there, you know it is hurtling towards you but you can't see it until it's right on top of you.

The latter is where something is coming towards you in a straight line without deviating from side to side or up and down, a bit like a fighter pilot out of the sun. When we wave to some one a long way off to attract attention we wave our hand side to side not to and fro. It's the motion relative to our field of view that gets noticed, not a forward and back wave. Same movement, same energy but much harder not see.

So if you are driving towards a crossroad with a SMIDSY awaiting, you could easily make use of correct positioning by changing the bikes position into the near the centre line stance, furthest away from the point of danger. From the perspective of the driver, this sideways movement stands out, especially if headlamps are on.
Further they talked about the Z move, something I'd not heard of. If you are bimbling along and happen to be positioned in the (what I call holding position) just to the near side of the centre line, furthest away from parked cars etc. when you approach the SMIDSY at the junction you are already in the safest position. And I would adjust speed accordingly and pass through without deviation.
They discussed that this lends its self to the motion camouflage spoke of earlier. The Z move is a small deviation off your line and back well before the junction to counter this. It made perfect sense and is something I'm going to give a try.
We also touched on something discussed here before and that's how the eye scans from side to side not in a sweep but in a stutter, like a machine gun, or old cine camera, picking up snapshots, and how, rarely, but easily a biker can fit in the gaps between slides.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

homie wrote:rip between traffic on my big bore air cooled Honda enduro. But I always imagined a cop in that line up somewhere or somebody opening a door out of spite.
The arguments against lane splitting in the USA come about because there are so many irresponsible motorcycle riders who don't use motorcycles as transportation and only go out when they want to burn as much rubber and gas as possible.
The California Highway Patrol recommends only splitting up to a maximum speed of 45mph and only up to a maximum difference in speed of 20mph. If car traffic is at a stand still, you don't split faster than 20mph. If traffic is faster than 45mph you move in and stay in a lane. No weaving in and out of lanes just to pass someone who is only going 55mph just because you think you should be going 70.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Regarding H-Viz, The helmet should be hi-viz since that the easiest visible point on a rider. Complete hi-viz on the upper body is better then just a vest. regarding lane filtering, I will admit I've done it just to get to the front of the line at a light and that's it. Like I said earlier, Hope they allow it soon.

You can call me Hi-Viz Steph! "Can you see me now?"
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is my latest addition...a hi-viz jacket. Riding with it on as well as my yellow helmet seems to help others seeing me. I also try to be almost beside my wife when we approach an intersection so that we will present a larger object to other drivers. So far the only problems we have encountered have been from drivers who could care less who is coming their way. We came across several large vehicles yesterday that decided not to wait for their turn to move into the flow of traffic. They blocked all traffic coming and going till someone let them in line.

so here is me on my hopefully highly visible bike.
IMG_20141024_193542.jpg
IMG_20141024_193542.jpg (90.93 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
i
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Steph
Frequent Poster