Idling Stop

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Idling Stop

Post by RideLondon »

Does anyone turn it off? If so, why?
Has anyone experienced a malfunction with the Stop/ Start mechanism?
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Idling Stop

Post by binje »

I have never really used it. I had it on right at the beginning for a bit but once stopped at lights, when I twisted the throttle to go, nothing happened. So I had to push to the side to get out of the way of traffic as the bike just would not start. Tried a few times with about 30 sec intervals in between but no luck. Then waited 5 min and the bike started again. Since then I never really bothered with it seeing as we do get such great mpg from our PCXs, just left it off.

I have read the earlier models were slightly flakey but I cant comment on newer versions, mine ofcourse being a 2011 model.
2011 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

No malfunction here.

I do turn it off when I know the stop will be very short one. No point starting engine one second after it stopped...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Turn it off when you put it in for a service, its supposed to be turned off before and during an oil change.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

i never have it on, its hard to see a point where i live.. the stopes rant long enough to see a fuel saving.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

On modern cars, I believe the break even point for shutting down vs. idling is around 10 seconds. Longer than that, shutting down and restarting consumes less fuel than letting the engine idle.

Not sure if that applies directly to tiny scooter engines or not.

Some traffic signals in my area have sensors to detect a car. So the wait time is not pre-programmed...if a car arrives, and there is no car coming the other direction, the sensor will trigger the light green.

Others, no. You wait for what seems like quite a while. Probably 2 minutes at least, maybe 3.

Increasingly, I notice that new street construction here is making use of roundabouts instead of stop lights in many areas.
'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I wonder what mechanical remnants of this feature are remaining on the US version of PCX. If I ever see them they are coming off... preposterous.
From what I can see on youtube, the way you Yahoo's drive overseas you seldom stop for anything :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ this coming from a Monk Hooligan :lol: :lol:
"Me" no want stop feature, thank you. Gots me combi brakes and me feet. Works ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

From what I've read, and what was given by Honda for new versions, 2013 Esp's would flatten the battery if idle stop cut in too often as the battery took a hit each time the bike started, but the new 2015's have an up-rated battery and circuitry to check battery condition - too low, idle stop is automatically disabled.

To be honest, unless your stuck in traffic for long periods, is there much point and fuel saving?
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

homie wrote:I wonder what mechanical remnants of this feature are remaining on the US version of PCX. If I ever see them they are coming off... preposterous.
From what I can see on youtube, the way you Yahoo's drive overseas you seldom stop for anything :)

The engine shuts down into a low pressure start position. We have the same alternator/starter combo unit. Its actually pretty neat, Thats why you don't hear the traditional cranking when it tries to start. It simple just fires up!

The valves don't close all the way when starting, so the engine can turn over easier.

We just don't have the electronic package and switch (the fuel cut off takes its place) Mechanically we have the same stuff!

I have always been told starting an engine has the most effect on wear. And the way our scooters get super high fuel economy. I don't think I would use this feature, if it was available to USA markets.
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

OriginalRocket wrote:I have always been told starting an engine has the most effect on wear.
I think it's only cold start. And perhaps after long stop, when oil is cooled down and it's all in the sump. Though hot oils will build up pressure faster than cold one. So I would not worry about that. It's not a new feature in Honda and has some substantial mileage to prove it's not harmful. ;)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I keep mine off because the traffic is so congested in Bangkok that there are frequent stops and starts ... this drains the battery quickly.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
yessting

Post by yessting »

I usually turn on this function. But in the night, when use idling stop in a long time, should turn off light or turn off engine. If idling stop doesnt work, increasing idle screw on throttle bodies to 1600 - 1700 rpm.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Idling Stop

Post by RideLondon »

There are some lights near me that take a while to turn green I guess. But in terms of sitting in traffic, why do you think I bought a scooter? :D