Battery Life?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Battery Life?

Post by Scottish »

I'm on my second battery and the bike's refusing to start, the dash comes on, it ticks over and then dies.

I normally use the bike several times a week but havent used it for four or five days, I cant see how this is normal, just what is the expected battery life? Am I really going to have to fork out for another battery?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Battery Life?

Post by gn2 »

A battery should last at least five years and could last ten.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

From what you said it seems it's not a flooding problem - but maybe it's worth trying > ignition on, accelerator to max throttle (Do not hold lhs rear brake lever in at all!), press and hold the ignition button for 5-8 seconds, release and try starting normally. Do this 2-3 times if needed.

This is the flooding procedure and worked for me recently when I did not hold the lhs lever in properly :) , but I wonder if the battery is low and the bike tries to start and stops, if this will help with a partial flooding problem. Do you use the idle-stop a lot? This has been known to flatten batteries, especially on the 2013 models which have lower rated batteries and do not have the advanced intelligent 'stop idle-stop when battery is too low' feature.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

gn2 wrote:A battery should last at least five years and could last ten.
Thats what I thought, anyway after waiting an hour It finally started, strangely it seems reluctant to start when the weather is 'close' (high pressure, slighty humid) for some reason.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Take it a good long run to charge the battery and dry it out.
Also worth checking the battery top is clean and dry and the terminals securely attached.
Any dirt can allow it to drain.
Infrequent short journeys are not good for batteries, neither is starting it to sit idling.
Only start the scooter if you're going to ride it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Scottish wrote:I'm on my second battery and the bike's refusing to start, the dash comes on, it ticks over and then dies.

I normally use the bike several times a week but havent used it for four or five days, I cant see how this is normal, just what is the expected battery life? Am I really going to have to fork out for another battery?
How many miles do you do when you use it?, is it just low mileage commuting.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

iceman wrote:From what you said it seems it's not a flooding problem - but maybe it's worth trying > ignition on, accelerator to max throttle (Do not hold lhs rear brake lever in at all!), press and hold the ignition button for 5-8 seconds, release and try starting normally. Do this 2-3 times if needed.

This is the flooding procedure and worked for me recently when I did not hold the lhs lever in properly :) , but I wonder if the battery is low and the bike tries to start and stops, if this will help with a partial flooding problem. Do you use the idle-stop a lot? This has been known to flatten batteries, especially on the 2013 models which have lower rated batteries and do not have the advanced intelligent 'stop idle-stop when battery is too low' feature.
Thanks for that, I havent used the idle stop feature since finding out about the battery drain issue, which was before I got this newer battery, thankfully It started today but if it happens again i'll be trying the flooding procedure technique.