New upgraded clutch

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

New upgraded clutch

Post by Branyers »

Hi all, just purchased this for my PCX150: http://japan.webike.net/products/21133138.html

I already run a Daytona variator and AdvancePro drive face. My experience is this: acceleration noticeably improved as well as top speed. 67mph was all I could reach in stock form. Modified I can reach 75mph, but it takes awhile to get there. It will cruise nicely at 70mph. Thankfully I didn't spend too much on these mods.

So can anyone comment on what type of difference I might see with the upgraded clutch? I am hoping that I will see an improved bite from takeoff as well as an another improvement in acceleration.

I see oodles of posts on variators, yet no input on clutches. So what do the experts think?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New upgraded clutch

Post by Pcxdemon »

I've used that bell with malossi clutch. The bell is work of art, one piece cast and perfectly balanced. Inside it has some special friction reducing material that really bites hard on clutch pads and also it has channels that bed in the pads so once pads engage they stay locked in place and prevent them moving latterly. It's lighter than a stock bell by a 1/4? Can't remember now exactly, but it makes a difference in sprint speeds..it's a good buy.
One tip I can give you is, don't over tighten the bell when fitting or the first bit that goes on the shaft in to the clutch will brake off (just a little ring lip). It keeps the bell from going all the way down the shaft otherwise starts jamming slightly..
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Thank you for the valuable input. Advice duly noted. I plan to use a torque wrench to remove the outer, but I will manually tighten using a strap wrench.

When I sold my NSR50, CT70 and C70, I swore I was done with modifying bikes and was just after reliability and economy. What is it about these smaller machines that makes them so addictive to modify?
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

That is a nice looking part, and looks lighter than the NCY clutch I have. It will make you launch a lot harder with the higher launch RPM. Accel will be quicker as a result. It will also respond (downshift) much quicker when you go form cruising to WOT. With my NCY clutch, I found that 0-50 was better, but that 50-70 was worse. Since I'm only 150lbs, I don't need the accel like a larger person would, so I took it off and put the stock clutch back on. It did notably reduce MPG...I would say by 25%. You'll also go through belts faster as the higher loanch speed and faster downshifting increase friction and wear on the belt.

But do let us know how it affects the performance. I just ordered some exhausts from webike, and was told a month for my parts (maybe backordered). How long did they say for yours?
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Certain items from Webike ship quicker than others. This clutch shipped the same day. I also ordered a Kitaco throttle tube, but it is backordered as well and will not ship until the 24th.

Webike now has a function that tells you how many units of a particular item are left in stock. It is accurate and these items ship immediately. If it says it usually ships in 2-3 days, I would expect to wait for at LEAST 2-3 days and possibly quite a bit longer :x
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Do you guys know what size the thin clutch nut is? I know it is either 39 or 41mm, but the manual doesn't say which one it is. I'm going to have to buy the socket, just want to make sure I have the correct tool before I attempt the conversion.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I believe it's 39mm.
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Found a 39mm impact socket at Advance Auto for $10. Popped right off. Hope I can get that clutch spring compressed!
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Branyers wrote:Found a 39mm impact socket at Advance Auto for $10. Popped right off. Hope I can get that clutch spring compressed!
Lol clutch on the ground pressed with your feet when undoing the nut or it'll end up on the other side of the garage or worse...in your face! Reverse to fit back, it's easy to compress it with your hands.
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Yep, it came flying right back at me. Pretty easy to get back on.

As a side note, this is an incredible mod. I swear the front end wants to lift off the ground when I take off from a stand still. Runs smoother and reaches top speed easier too. Well worth the money spent and I didn't have to tear the engine down.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Branyers wrote:Do you guys know what size the thin clutch nut is? I know it is either 39 or 41mm, but the manual doesn't say which one it is. I'm going to have to buy the socket, just want to make sure I have the correct tool before I attempt the conversion.
Have you tried a cheap electric power wrench? Stunning really kind of "where have you been all my life" moment....
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I use vice grips! Lock it on the nut and then just tap the vice grips on solid object till nut breaks loose. Then place the clutch under your feet to secure it and simply undo the nut with your hand. Reverse to fit back on..
For correct torquenes, I also use black marker to mark a line across the nut and a clutch before I break it loose so that's my fitting back reference how far to tap the nut tight..
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

you you wrote:
Branyers wrote:Do you guys know what size the thin clutch nut is? I know it is either 39 or 41mm, but the manual doesn't say which one it is. I'm going to have to buy the socket, just want to make sure I have the correct tool before I attempt the conversion.
Have you tried a cheap electric power wrench? Stunning really kind of "where have you been all my life" moment....
i agree, i have had one die on me but that wont put me off ordering another i think i paid £30 on amazon for it. cheap at twice the price
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

I use an air powered impact wrench. It definitely is one of those "where have you been?" tools. Takes all the fussing and cussing out of the job and makes things go so much quicker.