Buying a used PCX 125...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eweriuer
Year: 2013
Color: White

Buying a used PCX 125...

Post by eweriuer »

Hi there!

I am in the process of buying a PCX 125, I will have to tell my decision to the owner tomorrow. It is this one (click me) (I hope it is fine to post an ebay link of an already ended auction).
I am quite happy with the bike but I am a bit worried for something that could be a problem on the trasmission.
Basically when the scooter is cold and you start, I believe the clutch has some difficulty to give traction to the wheel. What you feel is the handlebars that vibrates and a bit of sound coming from the trasmission (not really a mechanical sound, something like a vacuum and deep sound, very difficult to explain in words but definitely not a "broken gears" sound). This lasts for like a second, that the traction is given to the wheel and everything is fine. This happens more clearly when the scooter is cold, when is warm you can feel it less. If I keep the throttle blocked at the level of when this happen, you can feel this strange sound coming from the trasmission for a few seconds, than the traction comes and it goes away.

The scooter has been used mainly for commuting in central London, so probably a lot of stop and go and I know that this is not something usual because my sister have had 2 PCX (same model) and this wasn't happening.

Is it something to be worried about? To me could be a trasmission that needs some cleaning or in the worse case a faulty clutch.
The scooter has 6 months of warranty left so I should be covered by a faulty clutch I believe (it has just 3500 miles, it shouldn't be faulty!)

Sorry for my English but I don't really have a technical scooter vocabulary... yet ;)

Thanks to anyone who can help!
oldbiker
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2012 non esp
Color: Black is cooler

Re: Buying a used PCX 125...

Post by oldbiker »

No problem my pcx does exactly what you describe on first acceleration in the morning almost a wobbly vibration thing then off it accelerates as normal. Again once warm it goes away I do not really know what causes it but from many on this forum it is normal. Welcome to the forum and enjoy you new bike.
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I have a 2013 pcx and it did the same thing. Only cold for the first few stop and goes. Then it was ok. So the fix for my problem was to take the belt/clutch side cover off. Then remove the clutch bell. Sand the clutch shoes and bell. Blow out the belt dust and that fixed it. The clutch shoes were glazed from alot of stop and go traffic. This does take some machical skills and just a few hand tools. I don't know if warranty will cover this or not. My local Honda shop said it is a wear item (the clutch) and there for not covered. Good luck. Oh, it will not hurt it to leave it do this if you don't fix it.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

How many miles are on it?
eweriuer
Year: 2013
Color: White

Post by eweriuer »

thank you for your great answers guys.

It has 3500 miles
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

3,550 miles, belt should be good until 7k right?
White is right... you do have that
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

PCX belt change is due at 12,500 mies I believe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong