scooter ramp...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

scooter ramp...

Post by homie »

I will need to escape winter at some point to not go completely insane and I want to take my new putt with me.
First thought, ramp it on my Dodge but after a short search on YT even the big boys are fooled by the angle needed for clearance, we have even less clearance, around 5-6 inches. This makes our ramp a two piece as one would be too long to travel with. Do any of you inmates have experience because DAHAM!... here are some lunatics off their meds.

JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Re: scooter ramp...

Post by JoshM »

Just keep in mind... the stars of the "fail" video are only a small percentage of people who load bikes into the back of a truck. I've loaded all 5 of my bikes/scooters into the back of my truck at some point or another, and never have I dumped it. It will certainly help to find a hill, rise, etc to attempt to level the ground and the tail gate.

If nothing else, just get a friend or two help you pick the PCX up... it's only ~280#.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I helped a friend load his bike in the bed of his truck, and we found it much easier to do it from my steep driveway. Find someone with a steep driveway, get a long ramp, and get several people to help you, with one of them in the bed of the truck to help pull it up. Don't start the engine. Two people should be able to push the bike up the ramp if the ramp is wide enough for at least one of you to go up with it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I helped a friend load his bike in the bed of his truck, and we found it much easier to do it from my steep driveway. Find someone with a steep driveway, get a long ramp, and get several people to help you, with one of them in the bed of the truck to help pull it up. Don't start the engine. Two people should be able to push the bike up the ramp if the ramp is wide enough for at least one of you to go up with it.
I do have a steep driveway. So steep is my drive that my trucks emergency brake is failing as we speak :lol: You have me thinking about chancing a ditch or loading dock in the area of my destination. Why worry about the proper ramp? A ditch, a piece of plywood with my 4x4... I think I can do this, Oh Heck Yeah, I AM GOING TO DO THIS.

who's with me?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

COOL! someone just posted a folding one a couple miles from me on CL for 50 bucks.... the benefits of living in the big city 8)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I use 2 2x4s(2x8 style :lol: ) screwed together
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:I use 2 2x4s(2x8 style :lol: ) screwed together
I bet that works fine too but for that price I told the guy I would come get it today. I will post my crazy steep driveway and that ramp hanging off the back. It should all come together nicely later today, might even be able to walk it up on my own 8)

now I need to look for dependable tie downs on amazon.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I have that same ramp. Cycle gear had them on sale last year for $59. I fig'd it's good for a motorcycle guy like me to have, plus I have a shelf in the back of my garage that i sometimes put my scooter on if I know I'm not going to be riding it for a while (since I have 2 PCX's) and the ramp comes in handy for that.

Now, if you get (2) ramps, use use one for the scooter, and the other to walk the bike up on. Works GREAT!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Just in case you want to get ideas or just nose around: http://www.discountramps.com
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here are the ramps I have:
6' U.S. General ramp from Harborfreight (folds in half lengthwise) and
3' Drive ramp from Walmart (folds in half lengthwise and has a suitcase handle. A zippered cover comes with this one).
I then added non-skid surface tape to floors and reflective tape to sides of both ramps.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:I have that same ramp. Cycle gear had them on sale last year for $59
Thanks bud, today their price is 139.00 booooooooooooo
http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Heav ... lding-Ramp
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Just in case you want to get ideas or just nose around: http://www.discountramps.com
these are decent WN... prices that might change my mind about used. I need to pay attention before I get hosed.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Saved 20 bucks plus shipping and time... it might actually get the job done too. Raining all day in Chicagoland so maybe tomorrow I join the loons in that video.
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

I'm sure that you'll succeed! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nightmare?? o_O
"Say it isn't so!" "Ya had to be a Big Shot, didn't ya......."

So homie, should we be checking youtube about now? Yikes! were you successful? Say yes!

But Wait! Did you by any chance get a twin ramp to run alongside the one you've shown us?
One that You can walk up as you roll your scoot up on the other? :roll: Hmm...

Tips: Remember to secure the ramp(s) with rope, chain or tie straps to your trucks underside tow loops so it/they won't shift or slip off tail gate.
If you didn't get a 2nd ramp :x then you might want to consider using an upside down crate placed near the tailgate so you can step up on it as you enter the bed with the scooter.
Watch more youtube videos. The ones where "they do it right!"

Ok I'm done.

Ya know what? Don't do this alone! Phone a friend. I know, Call Jack! :P And definitely use a deep incline to make the job easier. An angle similar to a boat ramp (but NOT a boat ramp!) would be great. You posted and saw those video clips...Don't bottom out your scoot at that critical point....Where ramp ends. Watch that angle!!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

LOL... when you see the height of the ramp off the ground at the bottom of my driveway you will be pleasantly surprised. The trick really is to get a curved ramp to avoid a HIGH CENTER incident like in the video and find a ditch to drop that tailgate as close to the ground as possible, not like that picture I took at the top of my drive... that would be crazy!

I haven't loaded the PCX yet but I did get the tie downs for it today and I need to order some special soft straps that gather the handlebars without damaging any controls. Riding it up does not look like anything I can't do at this point, but the thought occurs to me that it will be a different story taking it off at the destination.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

NO WAY, that's crazy!!!! Are you sure they are not edited in some way or that the bike on the roof of the bus isn't a mock-up plastic one. That is so bizarre!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

homie wrote:Saved 20 bucks plus shipping and time... it might actually get the job done too. Raining all day in Chicagoland so maybe tomorrow I join the loons in that video.
this is your driveway? I thought you said it was steep :roll: , I was expecting some downhill ACTION! :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

DAB wrote:Why a ramp?o_O
First video is harder to believe than the second :lol: very creative people that can carry anything on their heads, and some of the toughest building codes in the world!
Our lives are in their hands every time we turn the key ;)